Help me make my fridge higher! UPDATE: NEW FRIDGE

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Help me make my fridge higher! UPDATE: NEW FRIDGE

Postby KristenS » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:47 am

Kansas. 1911. wrote:Regarding sound, is your sensitivity there when dogs bark or fire alarms sound? Or is it the mechanical hum that bothers most.

I'm annoyed by most cacophonic sounds.

But mechanical sounds are usually the worst. Whurrs just about kill me. Buzzes are horrible. Hums are bad. Very low or very high hums make me want to go murder people.

Clicking and ticking I'm often fine with; I find the ticking of our cuckoo clock very soothing. But I have to know what's clicking and why. If it's by mistake (a loose bolt or something) it makes me insane.

For sudden loud noises (screaming child, car honking, big boom for no reason) I get a very PTSD reaction. Big rush of adrenaline into my muscles, shoulders go up under the ears, heart races. It's just lovely. It can take me ten minutes to calm down.

Nuisance noises (dog barking, car alarm, neighbor's radio, people on cell phones) I can handle when I'm feeling ok. But if I think about them at all, I get furious at the owners, and then the noise starts to bother me. But that's not about noise. That's about me being preferring to be a misanthropic hermit!
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!
KristenS

Postby Patchules » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:43 pm

KristenS wrote:
Kansas. 1911. wrote:Regarding sound, is your sensitivity there when dogs bark or fire alarms sound? Or is it the mechanical hum that bothers most.

I'm annoyed by most cacophonic sounds.

I used to live in Northern NJ at one point and there is certainly a lot of noise and varied sounds around. Chocolate, single malts and massages helped. 8)
Patchules

Postby melissakd » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:21 pm

KristenS wrote:But that's not about noise. That's about me being preferring to be a misanthropic hermit!

You and me both, sister.

Fun fact: My DH's grandparents actually owned a farm in NJ which they had bought fully equipped with a hermit. DH remembers him. He lived in a Unabomber-style shack somewhere on the acreage, and they sent him food. He was German if I recollect aright.

MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby senegal_jen » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Nice fridge! I particularly like the drawers in the freezer compartment. My old condo had a Amana bottom freezer that only had dividers...and things always got lost.

If you ever need to search a broader range that just NYC, use CraigsPal (aka Craigslist reader)...it's a free download that lets you search craigslist worldwide. It is AWESOME. I purchased my funmobile (convertible) off of Denver's CL..saving me approx $5k on a comparible car I could have purchased in MA. And, if you find anything in Boston, I'll drive it down so I can see your cool house :wink:
senegal_jen

Postby KristenS » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:24 pm

Oh, Jen, you are SWEET!

I've never heard of CraigsPal. I'm usually hip to teh internets. Guess I'm finally showing my age!
KristenS

Postby oldhouseluvr » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:38 pm

Nice fridge! We have a bottom freezer, but only one shelf and one basket. The three drawer looks more functional. We "lose" stuff on the bottom of the basket.

I like your refrigerator room. What is on the opposite wall? Just wondering if there is a counter for setting groceries down when you get home from the store.
oldhouseluvr

Postby KristenS » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:16 pm

oldhouseluvr wrote:I like your refrigerator room. What is on the opposite wall? Just wondering if there is a counter for setting groceries down when you get home from the store.

Oh, don't I wish. That would be really convenient. Here's the layout instead:

KristenS

Postby oldhouseluvr » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Oh, but pantry is good too! Who doesn't need extra storage in/near the kitchen!
oldhouseluvr

Postby KristenS » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:36 pm

The pantry is one of my favorite things in the house. My cat recently discovered it, and loves it too! She climbs way into the back and sleeps on the extra paper grocery bags. It's adorable.
KristenS

Postby Chokeweeds » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:19 am

Consider using 4/4s, taller and sturdier. Make the platform the same size and shape as the refrigerator--more stable. Use locking Industrial strength casters that swivel 360 degrees, at least 4".

Remove all open food containers before lifting. :shock:

OR https://www.amazon.com/SMONTER-Multi-fu ... CPJ99WJKN4

OR Hire a handyman or carpenter who has the necessary tools to make one. :)
Chokeweeds

Previous

Return to General Discussions Forum