Help me make my fridge higher! UPDATE: NEW FRIDGE

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Help me make my fridge higher!

Postby KristenS on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:53 pm

You don't sound cheap at all. And I've SCOURED Craigslist. Here in the NYC area, Craigslist just isn't the same beast, though. 90% of the listings are from companies. Another 5% are things that "fell off the back of a truck". And finding anything useful in the final 5% that are actual ads takes serious work.

But I still look!
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!
KristenS

Postby KristenS on Tue May 10, 2011 7:05 pm

Just because I know my fridge dilemma is ABSOLUTELY THE MOST INTERESTING THING ON THE FORUMS, I thought I'd update y'all. ;)

I've discovered Fisher & Paykel.

They have niiiiiiiiice fridges.

They have 27" depth fridges.

They have fridges for people of normal height (I am a horrible heightist, and only 5'8" myself, so also a hypocrite!)

They have only to make one without a water dispenser, and I will forever be their adoring fan. The search continues...
KristenS

Postby Patchules on Tue May 10, 2011 9:23 pm

One of my fridges is a Sub-Zero two drawer right in one of the kitchen cabinets. It has been running about 11 years now.
Patchules

Postby YinzerMama on Wed May 11, 2011 8:16 am

I'm only 5'3... but I have to bend to look into our fridge. And it's a pretty big fridge (IMO) - it's hard to reach some of the stuff we keep on top.

I thought this was normal???

But that's awesome HD screwed up so you get off free. :)

That is interesting about the "refidrgerator room." We moved our fridge to the back sun room (once a mud room, now supposed to be a breakfast room I guess but we use it for all our recycling sorting so no table, just lots of bins) when the water line leaked and we had to figure out how to deal with the floor. We never moved it back. Maybe it's historically accurate to leave it there!
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Re: Help me make my fridge higher! UPDATE: NEW FRIDGE

Postby KristenS on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:46 pm

The new fridge has FINALLY arrived! I was very nervous. After my debacle with the other fridge, I decided to be extra careful selecting the new one. Unfortunately, not one store in my tri-state area stocks this fridge. Even the manufacturer, who's based around 20 miles from me, didn't have one I could look at! So I had to buy it sight unseen. :(

The good news is...IT'S SPECTACULAR! Here's my favorite picture of it:

Can't see the fridge? Neither can I! That's why I love it!

Here it is in all its visible glory:

For folks that are wondering just what it is, it's the Summit FFBF280W. They also make it in Stainless, but then it's the FFBF285SS. I got it in white for two reasons: 1. I don't like stainless appliances, 2. I'm hoping to make icebox-like wooden panels to put over the doors anyway. But, if that doesn't happen any time soon, the white looks lovely.

YAY! I am so happy this search is over, and the stupid thing is here. I hope it gets cold quickly.
KristenS

Postby Patchules on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:59 pm

KristenS wrote: I hope it gets cold quickly.

It would probably help if you shut the doors.
Patchules

Postby catya on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:09 pm

OMG! It's a Summit - I've been agonizing for months whether to get that same model - is that the 13 c.f.? My own refrigerator saga includes 2 that were horribly noisy (both returned) and one that didn't function at all. Someone at Avanti suggested that it quit working because it was 90 degrees & all their refrigerators aredesigned to work at 70 degrees. Apparently, it was my fault for not having air conditioning!

I was even starting to wonder if dry ice was still available and if I should buy an old wooden one and go low-tech.

That Summit looks beautiful. Is it really as quiet as they claim it is?
catya

Postby KristenS on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:33 am

Touche, Patchules. :lol:

catya wrote:Is it really as quiet as they claim it is?

It's not as quiet as I'd like it to be. But then, I'm insanely sensitive to both low- and high-frequency noises. I'm the princess and the pea when it comes to noise. I can hear the whine of the tv (and radio, and alarm clock, dvd player, lamps, etc) when it's on, and the whurr of my laptop is a constant annoyance. On recent cloudy days, the cicadas have been so loud I've gone outside and screamed at them to shut up. (No joke.)

So, I'm not a great judge of what's quiet and what's loud! It's definitely not as bad as other refrigerators I've heard. But it's also definitely got a mid-to-high-pitched rattle that I can hear.
KristenS

Postby lisascenic on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:19 am

Oh we must be distant sound-sensitive relatives. I *hate* the sound of our fridge, and really really hate the sound of cfl lightbulbs.
lisascenic

Postby Kansas. 1911. on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:58 am

The Summit looks amazing. I love it when engineering solves a problem.

Regarding sound, is your sensitivity there when dogs bark or fire alarms sound? Or is it the mechanical hum that bothers most.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage
Kansas. 1911.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions Forum