painting above the porches gable ends, UPDATE

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

painting above the porches gable ends, UPDATE

Postby Raine » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:41 pm

how do you get up there ?. How would you use scaffolding? Ladders are not an option. I need to paint the soffit and fachia too. From the top of the windows to the peek is about 9 feet. Any ideas?
The back porch is about 7 ft deep. the front porch is about 4 feet deep. The front porch used to be beautiful but someone covered it up. :(
Last edited by Raine on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raine

Re: painting above the porches gable ends, Help please.

Postby nowwhat? » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:53 am

Could you rent a cherry picker?
nowwhat?

Postby Raine » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:06 pm

we checked and they want $225.00 per day for a lift. I think we would need at least a week. Scaffolding would be a fraction of that but I dont know if it can be configured to get up there to the peeks.
Raine

Postby justin86 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:11 pm

You said ladders are not an option, but I think a Werner/Little Giant Multi-Position Ladder would work. They have a 26', which would be 13' in stepladder form. Should be long enough to reach the peak?

Edit:
This is what i'd try if it were my house. You'll get over your fear of heights quickly. :lol:
Last edited by justin86 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justin86

Postby SkipW » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Are ladders not an option for safety reasons, confidence reasons or limitations of the slope of the roof?

If the latter, you can make an inverted "V" out of 2x12 planks and lay that over the ridge so as to make an attachment point for triangular 'boxes' you make to form a level platform on either side of the ridge. On those, you place ladders on either side of the ridge, using ladder jacks you then place a board horizontally and you have a working platform to paint the entire peak. Mind you, this is not necessarilly for the timid, but I can tell you from experience that it works quite well.

You can move the triangular pieces to lower areas as you go to support smaller or even step ladders, or as a seat/working platform down at the bottom of the slope.

For the bottom pic, I think all you would need is two ladders with ladder jacks and the platform

Edited to add: Otherwise, you could make leveling pieces and use pipe staging on either roof, but it would be just as time consuming and a lot of heavy lifting getting the pipe staging up, and then setup while on a slope....

Edited again to add: As another option, you could again build leveling bases and put up pump jacks. That would allow you to put a 20'-24' platform up to do all of the painting very easilly. That would be VERY heavy and time consuming but would be easy working. I can't guess at the rental cost of either pipe staging or pump jacks....

I ought to study the pics well enough the first time :?

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby KristenS » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:56 pm

justin86 wrote:Image

Holy mother of photoshop, man!
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!
KristenS

Postby Raine » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Ya! theres a guy on my roof, I think he's painting! :D . Questions-
How is the ladder secured to the roof so it doesnt slide ?
THANK YOU for all your ideas.
Raine

Postby Nettie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:45 pm

We have the exact same situation on the backside of our house. The addition on the back is a gabled roof that has our gabled garage roof below. We attached two triangle brackets to the house- (you can probably rent them)and they allow you to run planks across them to stand on. The very tip top of the gable was reachable with an extension pole for the sponge or roller.
Nettie

Postby Raine » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks Nettie, I will look for these triangle brackets. Maybe these brackets + scaffold + ladders will work.
Thanks everyone. Please keep ideas coming , I still might be missing something. ( yes, I'm scared to get up there :shock: )
Raine

Postby Nettie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:16 am

Raine wrote:Thanks Nettie, I will look for these triangle brackets. Maybe these brackets + scaffold + ladders will work.
Thanks everyone. Please keep ideas coming , I still might be missing something. ( yes, I'm scared to get up there :shock: )

We borrowed ours from our contractor brother in law. The negative to them is putting screw holes into the siding/studs that has to be repaired after removing them. DH is luckily not scared of heights because they are only a two plank width and you have to mind your step. I was more scared watching him.

Re-looking at your pictures I think I would erect scaffolding on the side of the porch to the height of the porch peak. Then you could rest planks with one end on the scaffold and the other end on the peak of the porch roof. This would give you a flat surface to put up step ladders.
Nettie

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum