dcsimg

How to not feel completely overwhelmed?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: How to not feel completely overwhelmed?

Postby Daniel Meyer on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:08 pm

pqtex wrote:
Daniel Meyer wrote:Question: "How do you eat an elephant?"
Answer: "One bite at a time."

Daniel, I can't say that's bad advice, but by golly, I'm danged tired of eating elephant! Sometimes it just doesn't seem like I'll ever have anything else on my plate! Got any new recipes to disguise the taste? :lol:

I'm up to elephant enchiladas. Anything with "handful of cheese" in the recipe is good with me!

Oh, and one more tip...occasionally I convince myself I can't do project "X" without "Y" special tool...so I go out and buy me one. I'm thinking really, I need a "tool-of-the-month" club. That's better than a Penthouse subscription!
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby catperson on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:11 pm

Justin, I am completely impressed with the work you have done so far! You are doing a thorough job and are doing it right, and it takes time. Remember, everything does not need to be done all at once. We are 25 years in, and almost finished, but not completely. (Don't let the time we took discourage you, however, as we are not the sort of people who are bothered by not having everything "perfectly done", and took lots of time between projects, due to money restraints, lack of skills, and just getting tired and wanting to take some time off from the house. Most people don't take as long as we did.) If you and your wife can stand to live in a house that is less than perfect for a few(?) years, it will alleviate lots of stress.
catperson

Postby pqtex on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Daniel Meyer wrote:
pqtex wrote:
Daniel Meyer wrote:Question: "How do you eat an elephant?"
Answer: "One bite at a time."

Daniel, I can't say that's bad advice, but by golly, I'm danged tired of eating elephant! Sometimes it just doesn't seem like I'll ever have anything else on my plate! Got any new recipes to disguise the taste? :lol:

I'm up to elephant enchiladas. Anything with "handful of cheese" in the recipe is good with me!

Oh, and one more tip...occasionally I convince myself I can't do project "X" without "Y" special tool...so I go out and buy me one. I'm thinking really, I need a "tool-of-the-month" club. That's better than a Penthouse subscription!

And since we're in Texas, a big helping of salsa on the side! :lol:

As to the "tool-of-the-month club...I'm a charter member. It just seems like that by the time I figure out I need "Y" special tool to do project "X", and then I go to the store to buy said "Y" tool, and get home, and start plowing into "X", my cell phone rings, and I have to drop what I'm doing and go tend to more important priorities (90 year old parents), and by the time I get back, the day and most of the evening are gone and it's time to wrap it all up. According to my own body clock, late evening is my prime time to work, but I married a man who has to get up at 4:00 AM and goes to bed at 8:00 pm every night. He is a light sleeper and I can't use my power tools or make noise. My internal body clock is screaming that this is my prime time to work, but I have to be quiet during a time when I would be able to get the most done.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:40 am

jason86...i am not sure what your house looks like or how many people you have helping you but doing what you have done in 8 months i feel like a lazy slob! :( We just celebrated our third year in this house on 5/28, i have spent 3 summers stripping, sanding, caulking, painting and this summer i will finish one exterior wall and that is stripping off all paint going down to bare wood.(that doesn't include working on 45+ windows) I gave myself 10 year to get the house done and wonder if that is enough time...?

You have to enjoy life too.... we went into this house KNOWING it would take 15 to 20 years to get it done inside and out. We also knew that this was our last house... Granted for some that might be a bit too long but our schedules and other activities keep us going 12 hours a day without doing anything to the house. there are always the chores of mowing, weeding, watering, cleaning the pool, taking care of the dogs ( no children here) and trying to maintain friendships, etc. And my partner only has a portion of his balance so ladders are out of the questions which means, cleaning gutters, windows and anything over 6 ft from the ground I take care of. Plus if i was sitting in an apt or a new(er) house i would be saying i was bored.
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Postby justin86 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:03 am

1880 Stick Victorian wrote:jason86...i am not sure what your house looks like or how many people you have helping you but doing what you have done in 8 months i feel like a lazy slob! :( We just celebrated our third year in this house on 5/28, i have spent 3 summers stripping, sanding, caulking, painting and this summer i will finish one exterior wall and that is stripping off all paint going down to bare wood.(that doesn't include working on 45+ windows) I gave myself 10 year to get the house done and wonder if that is enough time...?

I made a thread in the picture section with a bunch of progress pictures. If that's your house in your signature, my project isn't anywhere near the size of yours. The only help I've had was a friend who helps me maneuver my 40' ladder when I need to get that high (he sits at the bottom with a drink until I'm ready to move it again... lol) and my dad helped replace the section of rotted siding. All the scraping and paint was done by me alone, although I have friends tell me every weekend they are going to come help, but never show up. :roll:
justin86

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:31 pm

justin...i looked at your pictures and i think your making great strides in the exterior of your house and without much help!! I am not sure why you feel overwhelmed, you are doing it the right way and in the long run that will save you much time.
I know the cherry pickers are expensive to rent especially for a big area like that... i rent scaffolding in the summer and at some point when i have enough $$$ i will buy my own but for now the scaffolding works. I do secure the scaffolding to the house and its light enough that i can put it up by myself without any help. Most people think i am nuts to take it down to bare wood but considering the condition of the paint, i would be throwing money away if i kept repainting, and i have found some dry rot that was detected until i started working on the siding. I don't get very far as i want each summer, either the weather or life gets in the way. But the difference in the finished product is amazing and definitely worth it. Anything worth doing is worth doing right...so hang in there and take a break every once in a while and enjoy your progress.. :D

summer of 09 and scaffolding set up i had, it was nice as i could walk the entire area that i was working on...
scott
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Previous

Return to General Discussions Forum