dcsimg

canvassing a wall

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: canvassing a wall

Postby dalmatiangirl61 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:40 pm

That is very similar to aircraft fabric covering, only instead of using water to shrink the muslin they use dope, I'm not kidding :lol:

PQ, after shrinking aircraft skins they paint them, it was tradionally just muslin fabric, these days they use polyester. I'm not sure if you can find fabric wide enough to cover wall with no seams?
dalmatiangirl61

Postby Sombreuil_Mongrel on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:57 pm

When I was discussing the canvassing of walls they were plaster, and the canvas was hung with extra heavy wallpaper paste.
Someone, maybe here, some time was asking about wall finish of cloth over wooden ribs. Since I had never seen such, I didn't contribute, and I don't know if the fellow ever got any practical advise, but it is possible to canvas over ribs then paint it. I imagine the seams are not flat. I would probably seam down a loose end, then start the next row with a cardboard staple strip like upholsterers use, then double the piece back so the tack strip and fasteners were covered, and then you tack down the free end to the next rib, and so on. The top & bottom seams probably would get covered with trim of fabric or wood.
Casey
Last edited by Sombreuil_Mongrel on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sombreuil_Mongrel

Postby pqtex on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 pm

Sombreuil_Mongrel wrote:When I was discussing the canvassing of walls they were plaster, and the canvas was hing with extra heavy wallpaper paste.

Casey

I figured that was the case. I'm not interested in hanging the canvas on the wood ribs, but you've got me thinking some more. I'm thinking that with shiplap walls, theoretically, I could tack new muslin on the walls as if preparing for wallpaper, but paste the nice canvas on top of that instead of wallpaper. Then I'd have the canvas with the "exquisitely textured surface for painting" without having any tacks showing. By being pasted onto the muslin, I'd have the floating surface that allows for the seasonal moisture changes. Is there anything amiss in my theory? I can honestly try this on one wall without harming anything. I've been living in this room (master bedroom) for five years with the bare shiplap and spider hidey-holes. The canvas would also be removable with no damage to the walls if I ever changed my mind. Would the canvas be too heavy to do this? It could also be tacked at the ceiling for extra holding power, and that would be covered with moldings so the tacks wouldn't show. I could get the room-sized canvas and wouldn't have any seams except in a corner, which could also be covered with trim.If it works, I have the cracks and crevices sealed, a paintable surface, and would retain all of the reveal on my window trims and baseboard moldings without having to remove any of the trim or doing jamb extensions on the windows. Am I crazy? What drawbacks am I missing?
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby Daniel Meyer on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:27 pm

I think it could work. May try it myself.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby Sombreuil_Mongrel on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:24 pm

Well, yes, you could. Sounds like a lot of work; why not just drywall?
_ducks_
Sombreuil_Mongrel

Postby pqtex on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Sombreuil_Mongrel wrote:Well, yes, you could. Sounds like a lot of work; why not just drywall?
_ducks_

Nah, you don't have to duck! :) But heck, drywall sounds like a lot of work too.

Three of my four bedrooms do have drywall on top of the shiplap, and was installed in the 50's (I think). While they did a pretty nice job of butting it up neatly to the window trim, it just doesn't look as good as the full reveal. My husband wants to remove all of the trim and baseboard moldings and do jamb extensions and drywall in this bedroom, and eventually redo the other rooms. While he always does good work, I just don't want to mess with my trim. We haven't done drywall before (or wallpaper either for that matter) and we both doubt our abilities to do a nice finish job. I don't know for sure why I have such an aversion to the drywall, but I do.

by Daniel Meyer on Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:27 pm

What ideas have you considered for your walls and ceilings? Are you trying to avoid drywall, too?

Jill
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby Daniel Meyer on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:07 pm

pqtex wrote:
by Daniel Meyer on Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:27 pm

What ideas have you considered for your walls and ceilings? Are you trying to avoid drywall, too?

Jill

Yes, they did this instead of plaster in my region because the houses shift around a lot with our clay-like soil, non-basement foundations, and intense season changes.

Sheetrock will crack within a year on my place.

You can disguise the butting against trim with an additional piece of trim first...a 1/2 thick on one side, curves to nothing, only 1/2 to 3/4 wide...the thin side to your old trim, the thick side to the new board/sheetrock.

Considering going back with muslin/wallpaper, wonderboard, etc.

Just going to have to do some and see what I like.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby artfox on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:21 am

Just thinking... seems like there ought to be some kind of heavy wall covering with a canvas texture that's designed to be hung like wallpaper and then painted -- sort of like anaglypta without the pattern. After painting, the seams would be almost invisible. Maybe something that's used for commercial applications, or only available "to the trade"...
artfox

Postby James on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:01 am

PQTEX, you can also get wallpaper that is a solid color, not a pattern. I know at least one company out of Virginia sells it. So that might help you with avoiding a wall paper look.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby bennybestin on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:36 am

Better to try this fabric wall coverings. These are not only decorative, but also deliver superior acoustical performance and environmental friendly. This is made of glass wool core and acoustic fabric. Other core materials such as polyester wool, melamine foam and PU foam are also available.
bennybestin

Previous

Return to General Discussions Forum