Input needed on kitchen plan

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Mury

Re: Input needed on kitchen plan

Post by Mury »

I think that I personally would not use such a breakfast room. It is too isolated from the kitchen for someone to socialize with you while you cook, and is much like a second dining room. The "pots and pans below" is a peninsula, I presume? If you eliminated the breakfast nook and turned "pots and pans below" 90 degrees, you could widen that countertop to put bar stools on the other side (currently breakfast area). You would probably still have room for a window seat or desk behind this bar space. BTW, do you have a picture of your cabinets, china hutch to share?
Marie

1900ish Victorianish

PowerMuffin

Post by PowerMuffin »

The run of cabinets on either side of the sink are original to the house and I don't want to loose them. So if I moved the dw to the other side of the sink and put a counter where the dw is in the drawing, I would loose all the original lower cabinets. Not going to happen. The built in china closet was put in the 1980s so it doesn't have the same value. It was suggested to put the range in that area, which would make venting it much easier and we may do that.

The pots and pans place is a peninsula counter with under counter storage - my attempt to get more counterspace. The microwave is the least of my problems so I wasn't concerned about making it to scale.

I think at this point we will take down the walls and remove the built in china cabinet and see how we feel about the space. Since my husband's current project is moving the garage, which is sitting up on blocks and jacks now, I am thinking we won't get to the kitchen until after the holidays. Actually I hope the garage project is finished by then. :roll:

I appreciate your input. I will post more when we get into the meat of the project. Thanks guys!
Diane

Raine

Post by Raine »

Forgive me for changing the subject- I want to move my garage ! Can you tell hubby that we are interested in his process/progress and pics. I know you ppl are busy ( we all are on here ) but just thought I'd ask.

Raine

Post by Raine »

Mury may have a point. And you lose porch ! I use my porch all the time . Yes it does collect junk at one end . But the good end I keep clean . We use it to lunch, have cocktails, play board games, read , work on projects, have cocktails. The door on the left goes to the kitchen. The porch measures about 7' by 22'. Maybe move your laundry to the far end ? Image

ElizabethLee

Post by ElizabethLee »

Maybe I'm missing something here, but where are you going to store all your food? I can't really tell from the picture, but it doesn't seem like you have a lot of storage room for items other than pots/pans and dinnerware.

Personally, I think a pantry would be a much more valuable use of the space--unless you're really diehard about getting that breakfast room. Does your dining room get a lot of use, or is it more of a formal place for holiday dinners? Do you foresee the breakfast room eating area taking over, thus rendering the dining room a waste-of-space pass-through to the kitchen?

The storage issue jumped out at me immediately, and after reading the replies I was very surprised no one else brought it up. Maybe I'm not seeing something obvious in the plan... How many cabinets do you actually have for food storage?

PowerMuffin

Post by PowerMuffin »

Since the original cabinets are full-height and I have the big full-height china closet, I have more than enough storage. What I need is more counter space. I posted on the Kitchen forum on Garden Web and received back a very good modification of my plan. We will probably go with it, with only slight changes.

I have another, larger porch that we love and use all the time - the house had three porches originally. The porch involved in the kitchen redo is a utility porch that we don't really need. My grandparents had a breakfast nook and I hope to duplicate it. When we entertain, we use the dining room or else we entertain outside. And it may look like it is far from the sink to the nook area, but it really isn't. The nook is primarily for us, and because we want an eat-in kitchen.

Thanks for the input. Once we get started, I will take pictures and post as we go along.
Diane

Kansas. 1911.

Post by Kansas. 1911. »

I looked on Garden Web for your post. There was a superb plan that somebody developed that looked like it would solve all your issues now, and into the future. I am interested in your outcome. I suppose, like me, that you want to do it, and be finished. I don't plan to re-do my kitchen ever again. In 30 years, it will look dated perhaps, but I can live with it.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage

PowerMuffin

Post by PowerMuffin »

Yes, Bmorepanic came through with a wonderful plan and it addresses all our issues plus it routes traffic very well, something I couldn't come up with. Yippee!
Diane

cadrad

Post by cadrad »

could ytou let us know how to find the new plan on this other website? I tried to find it, looked for about twenty minules and gave up. Thanks!
Steven R.
muskegon MI
Charles E. Johnson house
1916 prairie style
visit my new profile at http://www.wavyglass.org

PowerMuffin

Post by PowerMuffin »

Steven, here is the link:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ki ... 14456.html

And I am attempting to post the plan. It is so light, you may not be able to see it well. The plan that works so well, is the last plan in the picture. You have to scroll down to view.
Diane
Attachments
powermuffin2.jpg
powermuffin2.jpg (51.78 KiB) Viewed 1385 times