Input needed on kitchen plan

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

PowerMuffin

Input needed on kitchen plan

Post by PowerMuffin »

Hi guys. I posted this on the Garden Web Kitchen forum too, but wanted old house folks' opinions too. The current side porch of our house is right next to the kitchen. It currently is a junk room and laundry area. We are considering taking part of the wall down between the kitchen and the junk area to make a breakfast room. We have already decided to take out the wall perpendicular to this wall, which was to the back porch and is now part of the family room addition. Taking out this wall allows us to eliminate a traffic jam caused by one doorway from the kitchen to the family room. We have already discussed this with our structural engineer.

The lower part of this plan shows the original cabinet run that we are keeping, except for the lower cabinet on the left which is where we will put a dishwasher. Next to this cabinet run is a floor to ceiling built-in cabinet that we use for china and decorative pieces. That is staying too. I hope this isn't too confusing. Anyway please let me know if you see potential problems with this layout.
Thanks,
Diane
Attachments
Kitchen0003.jpg
Kitchen0003.jpg (62.65 KiB) Viewed 1638 times

wletson

Re: Input needed on kitchen plan

Post by wletson »

Doesn't look like you're ending up with a whole lot of counter space. Are you eliminating some from what you have now?'

Just me trying to figure out everything, where do the stairs between the breakfast area and the family room go?
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren

catya

Post by catya »

I agree there doesnt look like much workspace at all, or storage for food/kitchenwares. Dont get me wrong, I am not a fan of excessively large big cavernous kitchens, on the contrary I prefer a small efficient kitchen. But there needs to be a minimum amt of space for the basics - cooking, storage, and washing up. In my tenant apartment I concluded that there's simply no room for eating in the kitchen - so they have to walk and carry things 10 feet out to the dining room to eat. Oh well! But the consensus has been they just LOVE having the ample counter tops and storage and dont mind the trek to the dining room.

Im wondering if that might be the case here. W/ a small kitchen it just can't be all things for all people, so its a matter of prioritizing what really needs to be in there and if push comes to shove - what can go elsewhere..

BTW -they're really talented over there on the THS kitchen forum - Id be really interested to hear what they come up with!

catya

Post by catya »

Yknow... when I look at this again and see just how much square footage there is it seems to me you should be able to do a lot with that space.... are we free to move around walls and door openings :)

PowerMuffin

Post by PowerMuffin »

This looks like a lot of space but the depth of the kitchen (12') is not enough for an island because the walkways on either side are too tight. I have no counter space and would like more, so if we go with this plan, I will resort to a small table on wheels. I see no way to get more counter space close to the sink, which is where it is needed, except to remove the built in china area to the right. And I am not sure that I want to do that.

There are no more walls to take down/move. I don't want to change the old part of the house where the dining room is, the laundry area is small in this plan to give us the breakfast room. But even if we took out the breakfast room, we can't change/use the laundry space because there are stairs to the basement and the back door there. And the breakfast room is so far away from the sink that using that space for counter is useless.

That said, if you have other ideas, have at it!

PowerMuffin

Post by PowerMuffin »

Ok, how about this: I leave the plan as is with one exception. And that is to remove the top portion of the built-in cabinet and put a counter on it. Then I would have a long run of countertop going from the kitchen sink to the family room.

Would the range look funny as I have it in the current plan?
Thanks,
Diane

Kansas. 1911.

Post by Kansas. 1911. »

Having that big run of counterspace is a good idea. How about taking the china hutch and putting it where the maple cabinet is?

That way, when you are in the dining room, walking into the kitchen, you will be walking towards the pretty dishes and not noticing anything in the sink.

Is there a way you could make all three doorways 5'? In the Sarah Susanka books, she says that wide doorways are very pleasing to live with.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage

Sombreuil_Mongrel

Post by Sombreuil_Mongrel »

You can't mount a regular M/W above the range, it has to be an OTR microwave. From the drawing it looks like a very small MW, but OTR's are like 30" wide.
Casey

Raine

Post by Raine »

Can you put the dishwasher on the other side of the sink and add more counter to the dining door wall ? ( or put the dishwasher with the new counter) you could then also add upper cabinets/microwave cubby. What is the pots and pans below ? Is it a cabinet ? bench storage ?

wletson

Post by wletson »

Raine wrote:Can you put the dishwasher on the other side of the sink and add more counter to the dining door wall ?
Good idea!
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren