Metal Ceiling

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

shazapple

Metal Ceiling

Post by shazapple »

Hello all
We have a bedroom renovation coming up, and I am contemplating a couple design ideas. We rescued a lot of trim from a neighbouring house before it was torn down, but we were unable to resue the original tin ceiling (it was in poor repair, and was difficult to remove without mangling). We are planning on re-using the old trim, and would like to install a real or fake tin ceiling as well.

Metal ceilings do not seem that hard to install, but are definitely on the pricier side of things. I have read the posts about anaglypta, but have been told by friends "Wallpapering our ceiling almost ended our marriage". I see there are embossed tiles you can buy at... *cringe* home depot, but I haven't heard much about them.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

donoinmass

Re: Metal Ceiling

Post by donoinmass »

I have used the Home Depot tiles before to add interest to the office ceiling in our previous home. They are extremely easy to hang up. You use liquid nails to adhere them to the ceiling. I used the antique brass finish (not as shiny). I did an 8x12 room in a couple of hours. The panels are 2x4 so they go up fast. They are affordable, and from the ground, they look just like the real thing. I have also wallpapered a ceiling with the embossed paper, and if you have never done it before, then you need to prepare for a lot of extra time as it is very cumbersome applying it to a ceiling. Good luck!
Don O'Neil
'The Orange Whitney House - 1896'
Winchendon, MA

pqtex

Post by pqtex »

I haven't done anaglypta before, but that's exactly what we are going to put on our ceilings. I have read and researched, and believe we can do it. I also had contemplated the "fake" tin tiles or the real tin ceilings, but we're going with anaglypta. We have 11 foot ceilings. I think the real key is to have a good scaffolding system and to follow the directions for wall preparation for the specific types of anaglypta. I asked a professional wallpaper hanger which type was best and was told to pick the pattern of anaglypta I liked, then do the wall prep for that specific type. We will also be putting anaglypta on the walls. I considered Lincrusta (and really wanted Lincrusta), but decided the weight would be too much for the ceilings and the cost too much for our very limited budget.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org

wletson

Post by wletson »

I've noticed in the past that the fake tiles aren't much cheaper than the real thing. This company, manufactures their own, and salvages from old buildings in my area...

http://www.tinceiling.com/home.htm
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren

shazapple

Post by shazapple »

Thanks all!

We stopped by home depot last night but they didn't have a very good selection of armstrong tiles, and the ones they had were out of reach so I couldn't grab a hold of them. I see there are PVC and styrofoam options around, but I am not a fan...

I did find Brian Greers website, and I will have to get a quote from him. From looking around I think you are correct that the price difference between real/fake is quite small.

wletson

Post by wletson »

shazapple wrote:I will have to get a quote from him
If there is anything in particular from there that you want to get a strong, in person look at, let me know. I drive by there at least twice a week. Depending on which way I go, it is on the way home for me from work. I've bought some stuff from him for work.
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren