Enclose a Front Porch for Noise Reduction

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

angolito

Re: Enclose a Front Porch for Noise Reduction

Post by angolito »

I would highly recommend installing the noise baffling waffle type interior shade before you add a porch. I also agree with the earlier post regarding landscaping options.

Cadrad's porch is old enough to be considered not an "addition" and retains fabric compatible with the home. It would be helpful to have a photo of the entire facade of your house..... if you stick a "grand" porch on complete with shiny new white windows it will not look good, IMO.

Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry »

Our house had the front porch enclosed back in the 60's. It's a shame, because it took away the best Victorian feature of the house. It did suppress the noise as well as improve the warmth of that side of the house, but nothing gives a house character like an open porch. That said, I now use it as my wood shop where I cut and build pieces for the rest of the house, so, if it were open, I'd have to traipse out to the garage to use the table saw. Double pane windows do stop a lot of noise.

Huckleberry

ritzta

Post by ritzta »

Thanks so much for all the helpful ideas and comments. You all have great spaces - and I agree that whatever is done will need to pay big consideration to the design aesthetic. Good bad or indifferent, all of the windows in the house are brand new and vinyl (love / hate) so new windows would be consistent on the porch enclosure. I saw some beautifully done porches recently - still kicking it around.

Interesting about the insulation - I've heard mixed reviews. Would love to hear from anyone who has experience with it.

PowerMuffin

Post by PowerMuffin »

Our porch was also enclosed in the 1920s and I love it. It makes the front room much more quiet and keeps the house cool in the summer and warmer in the winter. When we first bought the house, I was determined to rip off the enclosure because the house would look much prettier. But then I sat on the porch during our first February there and fell in love with the sun room feel of it. It is my favorite place in the house.
Diane

ritzta

Post by ritzta »

I'd love to see a picture!

cs

Post by cs »

Hi Ritzta,

First let me say that we are an unabashed porch-sittin' family. One of the first things I did on our house was strip and restore the porch and then hang a swing. We sit out there three seasons of the year. It's the perfect place to have a glass of wine, talk to the neighbors, and otherwise be a PART of the neighborhood. In fact, other neighbors are uncovering their wall-up porches, and one family around the corner from us, just added a porch to a little 1950's cape that never had one before. So we have a great trend going in our little neighborhood! So with this disclaimer in place about my own personal preferences... here are some cons (as I see them) to mull over:

It looks like your porch does not extend across the full face of your house. What about the windows that WON'T be obscured by your proposed sound-baffling walls? It would be a shame to make such a drastic change to the appearance of your house for only minor sound reduction in one room.

Also... Our elderly neighbor across the street boxed in his porch 30 years ago, but now regrets the decision for a variety of reasons, but one of the main reasons was that it caused his property tax to be readjusted upward. I live in a county with the dubious distinction of having the "highest property taxes in the nation", so this might be less of a concern for you, depending on where you live, but this guy pays about $1.5K more per year than he would have otherwise, and the porch is not even heated.

Some things to weigh carefully before making a decision.

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com

ritzta

Post by ritzta »

Those are really interesting points; I appreciate them. I checked out the site to your house / renovation projects and it really looks great. Good work, entirely!

Considering that we're in downtown Chicago over here, I can't say we have a great porch culture. I do have nosy, strange neighbors and I have to say having some separation here in the city does sound nice.

Point heard on the fact that the porch doesn't extend over the bay windows. Sidebar on that; I have soundproof windows covering those and they are SILENT. It's quite amazing what laminated glass and some space between the windows can do.

I think I maybe need to have someone draw up some elevations to get a sense of whether I'd be happy with the project. I'm hopelessly mixed - your feedback is very appreciated!

Thank you - Tim

HfxNS

Post by HfxNS »

Did you ever enclose your front porch? Did it help? Thanks!

ritzta

Post by ritzta »

No, I did not. I ended up selling the house in 2014, to relocate for a job. The noise from the road ended up not being bothersome overtime, and the soundproof windows helped a ton. That said, the VIBRATION from the road drove me crazy until the day I sold the house, and I will absolutely never live on any street with a line on it ever again.