dcsimg

Possibly related: rodents and dead animal smell in wall

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Possibly related: rodents and dead animal smell in wall

Postby mfglickman on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:31 pm

We're relatively new here, with a CT cape from 1758 (maybe 1800 ish)?.

Anyway, we moved in 2 weeks ago. We had a mouse guy come right off because there were lots of droppings in the crawlspaces/eaves and some inside of cabinets etc. (the house had not been occupied in a year). He put baits in all of these areas.

About a week ago (a bit less maybe) one of the small front rooms of the house started to smell AWFUL. The crawlspace underneath houses the furnace and well pump, but the smell is not present in the crawlspace. It's not near a bathroom and I don't THINK there are any water pipes running through its walls.

So my two questions -

1- How do I know if this is a dead animal smell w/o tearing the walls apart?
2- What's the best way to keep the mice at bay? We have 4 acres in rural CT, a bit woodsy, with a horse farm about 200 yards down the road. I'm OK with the critters outside, but really not feeling good about them getting into my storage, kitchen pantry and cabinets, and (shudder) sleeping areas.

We have 2 large dogs (one of whom caught a mole tonight, lovely, she wanted to "play" with it) and one totally useless in terms of hunting cat. Mice can literally eat from her food dish and she does nothing.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Mary
"The Revolutionary Cottage" ca. 1758 in NW CT
mfglickman

Re: Possibly related: rodents and dead animal smell in wall

Postby SkipW on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:33 am

IMHO, baiting is not the best way to deal with critters in a residence for the exact reason you are dealing with now, dead animals end up in inaccessible spaces. Let's assume it IS a dead critter in your wall, unless you want to tear into the house, you really can only wait until the unfortunate has had the time to be scavenged by others or dry out and stop smelling. (Sorry for the not so good news)

To keep the critters at bay is not really a lovely task either, again IMHO. We live in rural Maine surrounded by about 25 acres of woodsy wilderness, deer, turkey, fox, squirrel, mole, chipmunk, mice....you name it.

We have a small area accessible through bulkhead that houses heat/hot water/well equipment, etc and the rest is dirt crawl space. There was a LOT of critter activity when we moved in as the elderly owners did no maintenace or upkeep anywhere. I have found that placing traps on long boards that I can reach eight feet into the crawlspce in several directions (8 of them!!) really helps. I bait with peanut butter and check them every day or two. I probably pull 5-8 mice a week in the winter and one a week in the warmer months.

It's not a pretty task, not one you grow to relish....but we have not had a critter in the attic, walls, etc since I started.

I have gone around the house and corrected any openings I can find, but there is a deck at ground level in back and a connector to the garage at ground level on one side, so the critters could have spots they get in there and I cannot access their openings.

Personnally I would never put out baits or poison. You should try and find all access points and seal them and then try to capture or kill the critters where you have access to remove them so they do not die somewhere in the house you must deal with the situation you now have.

Just my .02, good luck with your situation.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby angolito on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:03 am

i concur with the need not to use bait. the traps i use are the kind with glue. i don't like to wake to that sound of the SNAP.

the fact that you feed your cat may be inhibiting her interest in hunting. get yourself at least two mature ratters and keep them hungry. i'm not saying starve them, but feeding a cat which has a somewhat untilitarian use is not the best move.
for sure adopt a small terrier dog, again an adult. Jack Russel Terriers kill mice and rats for FUN. Please do use an animal shelter or rescue organization to get these animals. i see my good friends dannyandronsrescue.com have a couple of rat terriers and they carefully screen their dogs for temperament along with helping with moving the dog to your area....

I have a dessicated rat we found in the wall here years ago. my dachshund identified where it was and stared at that wall for months.......

the other thing besides closing up all ingress is to eliminate food options. keep all your non-canned foods ( flour, rice, oatmeal, cornmeal, potatoes, dog and cat food, cereals.... etc) in a secure container.
angolito

Postby shizzy on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:26 pm

angolito wrote:
the fact that you feed your cat may be inhibiting her interest in hunting. get yourself at least two mature ratters and keep them hungry. i'm not saying starve them, but feeding a cat which has a somewhat untilitarian use is not the best move.

the other thing besides closing up all ingress is to eliminate food options. keep all your non-canned foods ( flour, rice, oatmeal, cornmeal, potatoes, dog and cat food, cereals.... etc) in a secure container.

Agreed. A friend of mine was having a critter issue in and around his house and three "yard cats" took care of both the house and the out buildings in short order. the secret was to feed them, but not too much.

Eliminating the food and entry options has always worked for me in any kind of pest issue. they are in your house for one of two things, food and housing.
shizzy

Postby cadrad on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:59 pm

angilito- you don't mind the glue traps? PETA(I am NOT am member) is attempting to get them outlawed because they are so cruel to the mice, who have to starve to death once they are caught. I hadd a hard time with them the one time I used them, because the mouse was still alive! I just use the old fashioned traps that kill instantly. I have some plastic sorta guillotine type that work really well and are easier to set.
Steven R.
muskegon MI
Charles E. Johnson house
1916 prairie style
visit my new profile at http://www.wavyglass.org
cadrad

Postby angolito on Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:38 pm

the little fuzzy animals have usually committed suicide by glue when i find them. they get their noses in that stuff..... if they are still alive my husband dispatches with them post haste, i cannot imagine making them starve!!!

i don't have a problem with the old traps, but the noise never fails to wake me and a tree could fall o the house and i would sleep right through it. since you usually get a sprung trap in the night.....

all it takes from a JRT is one shake.... 8)
angolito

Postby Raine on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:46 am

In our home there was evidence of prior mouse activity but I have never had any the 6 yrs we have lived here. Our prevention is this: We use those small plug in pest control on every floor and in the crawl space, we sprinkle crushed charcoal around the outside of the house before fall, set traps in the garage if I see any in there ( didnt see any this year ). I cant say for certain if the plug ins or the charcoal works but I have no mice and I will continue this.
Raine

Postby artfox on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:04 am

angolito wrote: all it takes from a JRT is one shake.... 8)

My JRT mix rescue dog is an extremely efficient exterminator of small moving creatures such as mice, rats, cockroaches. At night, her last trip outside before bedtime includes an inspection of the fence line and perimeter of the house. Unfortunately, she did away with most of the garden toads this past summer. The smooth fox terriers I had previously were also good at eliminating rodents and other small critters.
artfox

Postby angolito on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:43 am

i forgot to mention that the biggest danger for JRT in the south is the bufu ( sp) toad. one touch and the dog is toast from a nervous system shut down. the toad is one of those darn imports from SA that has no predator in the states.
angolito

Postby mfglickman on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:00 am

Thanks folks! We've been using the bait boxes in our last 3 old houses (late 1800's Victorians) with never a dead rodent in the wall (and generally there were bites taken from the baits, but no tracks in finished/living areas after the first month). I think we've started a whole new ballgame being in a 1700's house in the country. LOL.

The cat is 17 - she's not going to start chasing mice. We've talked about getting a couple of barn cats (spay/neuter and shots of course) to live in the barn and keep the population down out there. The dogs are Newfs - not likely they'll do anything more than love a mouse to death if they caught one. ;)

We'll try some snap traps, possibly also a couple of plugins, see what works. Off to find some hard plastic containers for cereal, pasta, etc...
"The Revolutionary Cottage" ca. 1758 in NW CT
mfglickman

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum