Is this what this community is all about now?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Abuela

Is this what this community is all about now?

Post by Abuela »

I've loved this guy's work for years and I'm leaning towards this cabinet for my bathroom even if it will probably mean rethinking the overall look.

When I went there to look at it yet another time, he's now put this surface-mount cabinet on sale for just $109.

This is the sale cabinet in white with rounded edges, and in cherry with squared edges:
ImageImage

He makes it in white, black, cherry, and espresso finishes, with either square corners or rounded ones.

I figured someone might like it for their bathroom, especially since you'd pay that much for a particleboard cabinet in a big box store, and this is handcrafted and all wood.
Last edited by Abuela on Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/

katya

Re: Beautiful hand-crafted medicine cabinets now on sale

Post by katya »

I love it. Looks really awesome. Is this still available?

lavender_bush

Post by lavender_bush »

katya - I clicked Abuela's second link and they are available

"Last Price $ 182.00 Now $109.20 (Save 40%)"

Abuela, That's a nice classic look, If we didn't already have our bathroom cabinet? I would certainly be contemplating the cherry version.

Lynners

Post by Lynners »

Wow, these are lovely! We're in the market for one, too.
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com

Abuela

Post by Abuela »

Let me know if you order something - better yet, post pics when you get it!

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

KristenS

Post by KristenS »

But, Greg, it's made in a "Dark Walnut Fisnish". And if you don't believe them, you can use the "Contactus" button to contactthem.

Plus, they have "low-cost shipping". Just $40 for each small cabinet.

And over a third of the products pictured actually have order pages linked to them. Over a third!

Plus, they sell on eBay under the name liliboutique76. That name is just like Art Juler.

Sign me up, I'm gettin' me a primitive mission style! Who doesn't like primitive missions?!
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!

Abuela

Post by Abuela »

Dayum!!

OK, trying to hold back from coming out swinging, as is a natural defense mechanism when I'm unexpectedly jumped.

Several years ago, when I was first looking for a cabinet, I contacted them, got an estimate for a customized version of one of their cabinets plus a door and frame for another cabinet.

Every time I have googled them, I've found (among other things) good things that people have said (places like gardenweb and the like) about their regular and custom cabinets.

Am I being naive about their being handcrafted? Well, I didn't think so before now, but now I recognize that ok, that could be possible. I looked through their flickr photostream and saw many pics of the cabinets in various stages of assembly and finish but nothing showing the actual wood components being made, so ok, maybe at least those components are imported.

But working for them?!? Oh HELL no. I live in Delaware. If you look back in my history here, I have a lot of ideas and dreams but very few skills and a lot of barriers that keep me from doing the work I dream of doing on my house. I have met several people from this community in person, and talked to others on the phone.

I like their cabinets. I have looked at them and wanted one for years. I finally decided to buy one, and I talked about it in other threads about my bathroom remodeling project. In fact, if you go back far enough, I know that I've talked about and posted about these cabinets before. I saw that they had some stuff on sale thought -- rightfully so, given the first few responses -- that others here might be interested in them so I posted about them.

Damn. I've never been jumped like this here and I really don't like it - is this what this community is about now?

edited to add: When I say "..When I went there to look at it.." I'm talking about online - when I went to their site to look at it. I'm an injured-getting-ready-for-surgery full time grandma who doesn't have time to go get myself new shoes, let alone actually go anyplace other than Lowes to look at something for my house. I went to a website for cripes sake.

Abuela

Post by Abuela »

And this is the timeless (well, last two decades "timeless") issue with online communities: While it makes it possible to connect with a wide range of really awesome people who you feel glad to have in your life, even if you have never met them in person, it also "connects" you with people who believe that being online gives them a license to be a real jerk in a way that they'd never be in person. Would you honestly be that nasty to someone in person? Jeer at them, make fun of them, accuse them of things like that? Whether this is just how you are safely hidden online or how you are in real life, shame on you. There is no reason for that. If you were wondering if I was affiliated, ask me. If you think I'm being naive, tell me that without attacking me in that way. I don't have time for that kind of bullshit in my life - and definitely resent that in this wonderful community, I'm now feeling shamed and attacked and bullied.

Shame on you for doing that here. Look around at how people interact, and ask yourself if that really represents what this community is all about. You can disagree with someone or question what they're doing or what they believe without making it a personal attack, without making fun of them.

Shame on you both for responding to this -- to ME, a real person with real feelings -- in that way.

Abuela

Re: Is this what this community is all about now?

Post by Abuela »

When someone comes into a community and barely 100 posts into their interactions with that community, they start flinging nastiness at established members, that person is know in the online community world as a TROLL.

This community deserves better than to put up with that kind of nonsense.

donoinmass

Re: Is this what this community is all about now?

Post by donoinmass »

Right on Abuela!! I too feel that 18th's comments were EXTREMELY harsh. Man, you were just telling others about a cabinet you liked and were getting....wow! Merry Christmas! Not EVERYONE on here is on the attack! Good luck with your surgery by the way!
Don O'Neil
'The Orange Whitney House - 1896'
Winchendon, MA