Another window replacement story

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

nezwick

Another window replacement story

Post by nezwick »

The company I used to work for leases an office in this beautiful historic building in downtown Brookville, PA (next town east of where I live). Right before I left the company last November I overheard the director of that site saying that they were getting new windows in their office space.

This is the front of the building I am referring to. It is known as the Marlin Opera House Block and was constructed 1883-1884. The taller building houses an opera house which closed in 1902. It is actually featured on Wikipedia (that's where the photo came from)!

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookville,_Pennsylvania

I made it very clear that the contractors MUST contact me before destroying or throwing away the old wooden wavy glass windows. Fast forward a couple of months to yesterday when I got an email around lunch time saying the windows were coming out RIGHT NOW and I had to pick them up THAT NIGHT. So I enlisted the help of my mom and her Jeep and we went to pick up the windows. They managed to get the sashes out without inflicting any major damage, except for cracking one of the panes. Unfortunately they cut the thick old sash ropes and left the weights inside the pockets when they prepared to install the replacement windows.

Here's an early morning pic I snapped of the sashes on my way to work this morning (upper on the right and lower on the left) safe and sound at my house.

And here's something that will make you cringe... the hideous vinyl replacements (lowest level). Not only are they ugly, but they didn't even match them to the ugly vinyl replacements on the floor above.

The landlord told my former co-workers that they would eventually be replacing ALL of the remaining windows in the rear of the block. I passed on my contact information so I hope they contact me before sending the windows to the landfill. There was also talk of replacing the doors as well.

What am *I* going to do with these huge old windows, you may ask? I'm going to stash them away until 10+ years from now when I'm ready to replace all the replacement windows in my house. Then I'll have them disassembled and the glass and usable wood will be re-used to build proper windows for my house.
The McCullough/Simkins house, built 1872-1877:
Progress thread on Old House Web

utopia13

Re: Another window replacement story

Post by utopia13 »

You are not alone in your collecton of old sash. I have about 30 in my basement. All shapes & sizes. I have collected them over the last several years...driving through the neighborhood & seeing them at the curbs. :cry:

We cannot usually control having old windows being ripped out, but we can sure try to control where the old sash end up!
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow

nezwick

Post by nezwick »

These MAY not be the original windows, judging by the top row of windows still on the building. The openings are arched at the top, yet the upper sash are rectangular with no arch.

Regardless, they're saved from the landfill and I'm sure it will save me thousands of dollars in materials when the time comes to have new windows made.

utopia13

Post by utopia13 »

Even if they aren't the originals....they're old, they're wavy...and now, they're all YOURS!! :mrgreen:
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow

jade mortimer

Post by jade mortimer »

nez, i did CRINGE!! a perfect example of how to ruin the look and destroy the architectural history of a significant building...the photo of the arched openings with rectangle windows is textbook.......

you are an angel for saving the sash...some day someone will be looking for 2 over 2 sash and you will be able to help them out...you can share the story of how they were saved from the landfill and the story will endure...

there's no accounting for poor taste and poor decisions..... :roll:

...jade

nezwick

Post by nezwick »

I know. Brookville has a 90-acre historic district or something - and to give them credit they HAVE supported some gorgeous restorations on Main Street and up in the gentrified old neighbourhoods of town - but it on Main Street seems like they only want to protect the facades of the blocks. Many of the other historic commercial buildings have replacement windows, so it's obvious they have no restrictions or guidelines governing that.

In case you were wondering, 3 of the 4 lower sash still have the hardware on them. The lift handles are definitely old/original and very detailed, though I'm not sure about the "lock" mechanism. I'll get better pics of all this stuff when I have a chance.

PowerMuffin

Post by PowerMuffin »

Well, you did good. I would love to have a stash of wavy glass windows too!
Diane

angolito

Post by angolito »

nez, if the third floor 2 over 2 are original then the upper sash is not arched. you did good..........

there is a property owner downtown here who is itching to put mis-sized cheapo white vinyl on his upper story windows. we are all expecting to see the work started late on a friday and whoops presto done by monday morning.

KristenS

Post by KristenS »

Hey, rdansmith, wanna show us some evidence to that effect? We'll wait...
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!

downtowndahlgren

Post by downtowndahlgren »

Gosh, wasn't it nice of rdansmith to join today and share that wonderful helpful info with us? (snork)