Anyone used milk paint over latex? Or the new Safe Paint?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

KristenS

Anyone used milk paint over latex? Or the new Safe Paint?

Post by KristenS »

I've got an upstairs closet that hasn't been painted in forever. It's a gorgeous peacock blue-green. I got an SW sample in a very very close match, and I hate it.

I've tried about seven other sample paint colors on various walls in my house. I hate them all.

It's taken me a while to realize that what I'm hating about the samples is the uniformity. The plasticky appearance. I just don't like latex paint!

Old Fashioned Milk Paint sells what looks like it should be my salvation: gorgeous chalky-looking velvety milk paint. But I'm torn... their original milk paint requires some sort of bonding agent to get it to stick to latex. Has anyone used this? Is it a PITA? Is the end result worth it?

They've also just created a version, Safe Paint, that's specifically meant for repainting over already-painted walls. But they stress that it goes on evenly and consistently. So...am I gonna hate that like I hate latex? Anyone use it yet? Is it awesome?

Help a lady out, friends!
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!

mfglickman

Re: Anyone used milk paint over latex? Or the new Safe Paint?

Post by mfglickman »

I have used SafePaint on two rooms and love it. The texture is nothing like latex. It is velvety and soft and it has some variation in it - it did not go on anything like regular ol' Benjamin Moore. Love it.

Here are a few pics

This is Buttermilk, straight up (no other colors added):

And this is a custom pumpkin color that I mixed for my dining room that gets no natural light at all:

HTH!

Mary
"The Revolutionary Cottage" ca. 1758 in NW CT

KristenS

Re: Anyone used milk paint over latex? Or the new Safe Paint?

Post by KristenS »

Thanks, Mary! I think this is the encouragement I need to try Safe Paint. They don't do samples...but it's also pretty cheap for a pint (or whatever small size they have). So...on to the internets to order!

PS-- I love your dining room light. With the birds and the hearts, it seems very Pennsylvania Dutch to me. My dad's side of the family has that heritage, and that style has always appealed to me.
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!