Show me your enclosed porch!

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Show me your enclosed porch!

Postby Vaso7 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Here is my enclosed porch that runs the whole side of the house:

and from outside

1902 Shingle
Designed by Wales&Holt for Mr and Mrs W. A. Cary
Vaso7

Postby Josiecat » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:28 pm

ImageImage
The Wellcome House
1892 Queen Anne Victorian
Topeka, Kansas
Josiecat

Postby Kansas. 1911. » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Josiecat,
This is the first picture I've seen of your house. Are there more someplace? Do I see a window ledge for the cat to use while supervising the yard?
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage
Kansas. 1911.

Postby James » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:23 am

Well they enclosed the back porch on my place back in the 19th century and it is now the kitchen hall and bath, but it only has two windows in it, and the double back door into the hall. You can see the pictures if you go to the old thread in the hangout forum on my house. But since they used so few windows, don't how how much good it will do you. The central portion was apparently left open till sometime in the 20th century, but both ends were enclosed as two small bedrooms. When the kitchen was moved out of the separate building and into the main house and plumbing was installed(which was not till the last owner) they converted those rooms to the kitchen and bath and there is an L shaped hall that wraps around the bath to connect all the downstairs rooms of the house and contains the back door, but irritatingly, NO windows in the hall, making it quite dark. Which is why the yellow doors. But like I said, those pictures are already in the hangout forum if you do a search.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby sooth » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:19 am

I don't really have many good photos of MY porch (though it is actually quite nice), but that's mainly because it's currently in terrible shape. It needs a full paint job (inside and out), a new door, new steps, and new lattice and lattice "frames".

That said, here's one or two photos of it that I have:

This one was after I had repaired the window (see if you can spot the difference between this photo and the one in my signature):

Not the best photo(s) of the interior, but you can see vertical t-g, and t-g on the ceiling. Corners have a cove moulding.

Here's another random old enclosed porch from farther down my street. I wanted this photo to copy the screens (or the screen layout) for my porch.

I have lots of other porch photos, but they aren't uploaded to the web yet.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby utopia13 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:44 pm

Hey Sooth...I like the way your windows slide sideways, rather then up or inward/outward like casements. Not something you see often.

I see you & McCall have corner lots too! Schweet! Vaso...your porch floor is nicer than my living room! :shock: And last but not least...cadrad, I have always loved yours...looks so nice from the outside. You should show off the inside too! :D
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby James » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:58 pm

I agree Utopia, I like those windows that slide sideways too.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby sooth » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:39 pm

In town (Cornwall Ontario), porch windows tend to be made in one of three styles (I'm talking about ones in the 1890-1950 range):

- Sliding, like mine, usually with window screens held in place with "wing nut" catches (butterfly catches?).
- Swinging (similar layout, but every other window will swing open on the inside. Similar screen layout.
- Up/down traditional windows, like the one I posted with the orange highlights.

The sliding windows are fairly common, and they don't actually work that well. They are not on any kind of tracks or rollers, and the weight makes them very difficult to slide. I have no idea how the original wooden tracks were laid out, since they are gone, but mine will all need to be fixed. I'm thinking about adding some kind of track system. I'll be making traditional style screens also.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby SkipW » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:05 pm

I don't know if our porch was originally enclosed when the house was built in 1907, but every pic I've seen dating back to the 50's shows it as enclosed. The earliest pic looked as it may have been a screen porch at one time and was then enclosed with windows and walls. The open part of the front looks as though it has always been that way, the only differences I've found were that there used to be a half wall and arched openings, all shingled, instead of the current open porch and railings.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby KathyJB » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:09 pm

:D six over one.

My enclosed porch is a laundry room now. I don't have any before pictures. :( Love seeing the enclosed porches again. Vaso's always makes me smile in happiness. :D
KathyJB

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions Forum