dcsimg

Peanut Butter as a floor cleaner?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Peanut Butter as a floor cleaner?

Postby aberdeen606 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:42 am

This might be a weird question, but if anyone had the answer, I knew you guys would. Has anyone ever heard of using peanut butter as a furniture/floor polish? I've been searching for years for something to clean my wood floors that doesn't leave it looking dull as soon as the cleaner dries. No luck yet. Yesterday, though, I dropped some melted peanut butter onto the floor. As I hurried to clean it up, I noticed everywhere the rag had rubbed the peanut butter was now shiny and nice. I looked up the effects of peanutbutter on hardwood floors just in case, but all google had to tell me was that it is often used to remove sticky residues from floors and does not hurt it. I'm not saying I'm ready to rub peanut butter into all the floors, haha, but it did make me wonder is there some kind of oil based polish that anyone knows of similar to the types of oils you would use on antique furniture? Those oils always give my furniture such a nice glow afterwards, so there's got to be something for my floors as well. All the cleaners I buy that are applied with a mop and always show those nice gleaming floors on the commercials look fantastic as soon as its applied...THEN, after about 10 minutes when it all dries, it looks like a dry dull floor again. (Guess they don't show you the drying process on the commercials) Any ideas? Thanks for reading!
Colmer-Boldt House, c. 1886
south Mississippi
aberdeen606

Re: Peanut Butter as a floor cleaner?

Postby YinzerMama on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:30 pm

I have used WD40 to remove weird latex rug residue from my floor.

Peanut butter dissolves gum so is also some sort of solvent (terminology). Wonder if it is eating through some sort of build up?
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Postby mross_pitt on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:48 pm

It depends on what type of finish is currently on the floor. Do you know? Is it a real old finish?

For instance, if it was shellac, it might cloud when drying after most floor polishes.
mross_pitt

Postby mfglickman on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Have you tried a vinegar/water solution to remove build up? If there's no finish / shellac / poly on the floor have you tried another oil, like tung oil? I'd be concerned about rubbing peanut butter into my floors, simply because so many people have wild allergies these days.
"The Revolutionary Cottage" ca. 1758 in NW CT
mfglickman

Postby mross_pitt on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:04 pm

have you tried another oil, like tung oil? I'd be concerned about rubbing peanut butter into my floors, simply because so many people have wild allergies these days.

Tung oil= tung nut = nut allergy as well.

On another note, my kids school is a nut free zone but peanut butter sandwiches are the everyday 3rd lunch option. :?:
mross_pitt

Postby YinzerMama on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:15 pm

I guess if you ever sell your house you'll have to disclose that the floors have been cleaned with peanuts.

mross - not sure if our kids are at the same school but ours has the same goofiness. the children can eat peanut butter at lunch and don't have to wash hands or anything afterwards. but they came home with a list of approve peanut free snacks, even though they don't share snack, and even though it is no danger to a peanut allergic child to be near someone who eats something that "may have been processed on shared equipment" etc. One of the peanut allergic kid's mom was totally outraged when that letter went home as she specifically told the school that no one had to do anything special - but they specify which brand of pretzels you can send, while serving actual peanut butter in the lunch room.

It's like they meant well, but didn't think it through.

:roll:
YinzerMama

Postby YinzerMama on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:43 pm

LOL at the mayo, I can just imagine! I dropped a bottle of italian dressing in my kitchen once and it shattered, my house smelled like a hoagie for days.
YinzerMama

Postby melissakd on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:03 pm

The peanut allergy thing *I THINK* has to do with the dust transmitting through the air (otherwise why would it be such a big deal on airplanes?). That's not a problem with peanut butter.

I would think that pests might be attracted to peanut butter used on the floor???

mmmmmm, hoagies :P

MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby RaeSzafir on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:26 am

My neighbor mistakenly used a furniture polish product on her wood floors thinking it was made for cleaning floors. The floors looked beautiful but boy, it was like a skating rink in there for weeks, even in bare feet, you had to walk around like elmer fudd hunting the rabbit. It is one of those stories that she will never live down. Hysterical.

Moral of the story, I think - oil on any floor surface, probably a bad idea.
RaeSzafir

Postby downtowndahlgren on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Same for "Orange Glo", which has orange peel oil in it. I used some on a small area of floor, mostly to counteract a lingering odor from my bad boy kitty. The floor gleamed and the room smelled lovely, but walking on it with socks or hose on was a hazardous proposition for a while.
downtowndahlgren

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum