Peanut Butter as a floor cleaner?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Peanut Butter as a floor cleaner?

Postby YinzerMama on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:44 pm

We had carpeting in most of the house, vinyl in the kitchen when we lived in california. The carpet was pretty old. My son was about 3 when he observed me squirting Resolve on some marker or something he had gotten on the carpet and decided to help me out by spraying every single mysterious spot and stain he could find... with Pledge. It was everywhere... and then thanks to walking/socks it was even in the kitchen on the vinyl... it was like our entire house had been sprayed down with Teflon. We were slipping and sliding all over the place.

If you ever NEED to make something slippery - like a slide - use Pledge.

But keep it off your floors...
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Postby eclecticcottage on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:47 pm

It's not as much a cleaner as a replentisher I'd bet. The oils "fed" the dry floor. When we first uncovered our wood floors at the old house they had been covered for at least 50-60 years and they were DRY. I used veggie oil to bring them back. No bad effects, except the dog licked it a lot for about a month, lol.

You could try linseed oil.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Postby sooth on Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:45 am

From a cabinetmaker's perspective, all I can tell you is that if the finish on your floor is dull (meaning that the varnish is abraded and worn) there isn't really anything that will fix it permanently short of refinishing. The problem with almost any "over the top" products, like oils (lemon oil, orange oil, and furniture polishes), is that they are temporary. They mainly clean the wood, and leave a thin film of oil, which eventually evaporates and disappears after a few weeks. Other products like Tung oil or Linseed oil actually add a film (since these ARE a finish by themselves) but then you need to worry about compatibility. It may start to peel off, or wear unevenly. Similarly, wax can help, but the problem with wax is that it can only be added in a microscopically thin layer. Contrary to popular belief, it's impossible to build-up a wax finish. Waxing a floor 50x in a row will only result in a single layer of wax. Wax tends to wear off on something like a floor, and if you change your mind and want to use another finish, it can be a nightmare to remove completely (since nothing will stick to wax).
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby James on Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:59 am

Ok, am I the only person here who is still trying to figure out why you would melt peanut butter? Thats a new one for me.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby YinzerMama on Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:43 pm

I was figuring it was warm in the house and the pb was just extra runny?
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Postby eclecticcottage on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:03 pm

If you buy the natural stuff and refrigerate it, you almost need to melt it a little for it to be easily spreadable.

Might be for baking too...
eclecticcottage

Postby downtowndahlgren on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:32 am

Well, if you are making bird treats, melting peanut butter simplifies the process. You can make pine cones coated with peanut butter , rolled in seed to hang on branches, or you can mix melted PB in with melted suet for suet cakes. Yum!
downtowndahlgren

Postby aberdeen606 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Haha, the peanut butter was melted because I put some on a waffle and put it in the toaster oven as a snack. :)

Thank you everyone for replies. My floors are not in horrible condition I guess, but they just start to look dull when I'm looking at pictures on here of everyone's gleaming floors! :D So I'm always on the lookout for something that won't leave a dulling film on the floors like most cleaners I've used do.

Not even sure what finish I have on the floors really. I know a former PO had them all refinished in the mid-80s, but I don't know what was used on them, or what had been used previously if anything (if that even matters).

Thanks. For now, I'll keep the pb off the floors I guess, Melissa you are right, the dogs and pig would probably lick a hole through my floor, haha.
Colmer-Boldt House, c. 1886
south Mississippi
aberdeen606

Postby lavender_bush on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:39 am

You guys crack me up.

My first thought was that our dogs would LOVE the floor since PB is a favorite treat in their Kongs. We don't have a pig though and if we did? I'm not sure it'd be in the house. Inquiring minds want to know about the pig.

My second thought was that Yinzer must work for the manufacturer of WD40 because experience here has taught me that she uses it for just about everything. She probably carries a can in her handbag :lol:

BTW, Yinzer we had a patch of wood that I'd sanded because of an accident caused by an aging cat :cry: I'll admit I'm not the quickest off the mark sometimes and the fact that the area was the landing outside the bedrooms and a high traffic area? Lets just say I was putting the job off.
We were away for a few days and returned home to be told by our son that he'd finished the landing floor - with? You guessed it Pledge!

We slid around for weeks before I sanded the Pledge off, your son has an excuse - mine was 20!

I do use a mix of warm water and white vinegar to clean the floors - I'm not sure why the water has to be warm but it was the recipe given to us by a professional restorer. I think anything else would form a film that'd attract dust and make it stick to the finish.
lavender_bush

Postby James on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:06 am

If I have not said so before Aberdeen, I love the picture of that house of yours. Beautiful place.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions Forum