Damaged cast iron plumbing

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

eclecticcottage

Re: Damaged cast iron plumbing

Post by eclecticcottage »

Texas_Ranger wrote:You can try selling the cast iron, but I doubt it's worth much. Several years ago when copper had already gone through the roof my dad tried to sell some scrap stel (radiators and some other stuff I think) and the guy told him: "If it's less than a ton don't expect any money for steel, but I'll TAKE it free of charge!".
I've also heard that PVC is louder than cast iron. Has anyone noticed this, and does it bother you?
Definitely. I know a place with an exposed PVC stack and every time someone flushes the toilet above (6-storey apartment building) I'm tempted to rush to the bathroom because I expect water to shoot out into the room. This is a completely exposed stack though (I suspect the old cast iron stack had plaster around and they didn't bother to replace that along with the pipe, so they just painted the pipe).

We took our old boiler, an old HW tank and all the radiators (the newer ones, not the old cast ones) along with all the copper plumbing for the radiant system (full of blow outs due to improper winterization) to a scrap yard last fall and got a few hundred bucks. I'd say it might be worth it if you take it to the yard yourself.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)

steponmebbbboom

Post by steponmebbbboom »

If you are still considering keeping the cast iron, pipe and fittings are still available.

http://www.charlottepipe.com/Default.as ... e=CastIron

if you are interested in an actual quantitative/qualitative analysis of the difference in noise levels between iron and PVC, studies have been done.

https://www03.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/catalog/p ... 3677873263

old bell-and-spigot pipes were joined by packing tar-soaked hemp into the joints with a hammer and chisel, then pouring lead to cap it. horizontal joints were made using an asbestos mould and would be very difficult to join using this method today. hubless pipe is used with rubber sleeve joints and is easy to install, best of all it can be disassembled without destroying the pipes.
Mainwaring House 1911
Image "What do you mean you don't replace telephone poles that are dirty and scratched?"

JRC

Post by JRC »

Thanks again for the replies. I really appreciate the links, steponmebbbboom. I'll probably just go with PVC, though.

Just a small update. Being Good Friday, we got the afternoon off. So, I had time to do a little more exploring. From what I can see, most of the drain pipes--leading to the cast-iron--seem to be galvanized.

The sink drain (galv.) ties into the toilet drain elbow. (galv.) That elbow is connected to a short, horizontal run of cast-iron that runs over to the vertical in the exterior wall. If this length of pipe is cracked, it happened after the system went dry, because there is no evidence of a water leak. About half-way between the toilet elbow and the exterior wall, the tub drain pipe (galv.) ties into the horizontal cast-iron run. I'm a little worried about this connection, even though there isn't evidence of a leak; there is a big rust tumor where the pipes meet.

Here is a little sketch I did in MS Paint. (don't laugh!)

I'm probably going to remove the cast-iron. Now I need to know if I'll be able to connect PVC to the remaining galv. pipes.

steponmebbbboom

Post by steponmebbbboom »

You should. As long as the pipe is solid you can connect it to PVC using a rubber sleeve joint with stainless steel band clamps. You should be able to get what you need at any of the big box hardware stores without trouble, this is a common repair situation.
Mainwaring House 1911
Image "What do you mean you don't replace telephone poles that are dirty and scratched?"

JRC

Post by JRC »

Thanks!

LorenaBlairBOp

dateinasia.com

Post by LorenaBlairBOp »

'The word 'feminist' did actually put guys off

In July 2014 Whitney Wolfe filed a sexual harassment and discrimination lawsuit against Tinder, A dating app used by 50 million people overseas. Wolfe, The vice president of marketing, Claimed executives had tried to strip her of co founder status merely felt that having a young woman in such a senior position made them like a joke Quickly, Wolfe became one of Silicon Valley most divisive stats, And an avalanche of gender discrimination claims against high profile tech companies such as twitter followed.

Was horrible, She informs me over lunch at the Four Seasons in Austin, nevada. Tinder denied her suggestions but quickly settled out of court for a reported $1 million.

But today Wolfe is here to talk about Bumble, A dating app she founded in November last year. it's always, She informs me, First dating app where women call the shots and was located only months after the dust had settled on the Tinder lawsuit. Wolfe was neared by Andrey Andreev, A London based Russian dealer and the co founder of Badoo, A social networking website which has 250 million users. Andreev was keen to get a bigger slice of the multibillion dollar online dating services market. Wolfe was persistent, states, By a desire to offer an antidote to the market To some, it may look that Wolfe is playing out the ultimate revenge fantasy. Did check out how it might come across, states, sincerely. listen closely, It was never about visiting compete against an existing app; We were trying to solve a real-world problem.

Deliberate or else, Bumble characteristics to its arch rival are inescapable. such as Tinder, Which is yet to discuss Wolfe new app, Users swipe right on a person picture if they want to buy it, Left if they are not. Two right swipes constitutes a huge match. But there is a crucial difference once a connection has been produced, Only the woman can initiate experience. She has 24 hours to send the man some text; If she doesn the match vanishes. The only control the man has is the cabability to extend one match each day for an extra 24 hours in the hope that the woman will respond given more time.

pic: Bryan Schutmaat

a substantial, Independent woman, Wolfe predicts. When it came to dating that was the one facet of life where I felt I wasn in order to go after what I wanted. I can do just about anything which job I choose, Eat what i want, Go to the gym when I want, But if I was out with my girlfriends at a bar and saw a cute guy I couldn go over and say hi. Women shouldn be sitting as well as waiting. It so outdated. write-up, relating to one, Don want to unwind and wait.

Whitney Wolfe was born in Salt Lake City, utah, all over 1990. Her pa, michael, Is real estate developer in Salt Lake City and her mother, kelly, Is a housewife who stayed at home to maintain Whitney and her younger sister, Danielle. in 19, Fresh out of highschool, Wolfe evidenced her first business, Designing and selling bamboo tote bags to raise money a direct consequence of the catastrophic BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico the largest accidental marine oil spill in the history of the petroleum industry. The bags attracted a person's eye of the Hollywood actresses Denise Richards and Kate Bosworth, Who both sold them on their social networking pages, And the carries on went to the Ocean Futures Society. Not millions of years before, Wolfe had applied to study marketing at the Southern Methodist collage in Dallas but was rejected. you imagine it? states, having a laugh. Quite funny undoubtedly with where I am now. She eventually settled for her second selected global studies at SMU.

Tinder: a female's review

After school, She moved to Los Angeles and gained her first job in a marketing and advertising position at a start up (Organisations designed to help online companies succeed), hatch-out Labs. it had become there that she met Sean Rad, A young businessperson. rad, Who ran an app for retail loyalty cards called Cardify, Was so stunned at Wolfe that he offered her a job. When Cardify never take off in 2012, they, Which also included the technical whiz Joe Munoz, The coder Jonathan Badeen and the designer captain christopher Gulczynski, Remained intact and began suggestion new ideas. such as a dating app that would allow users to quickly swipe through Facebook profiles of local single people.

concerned with Bumble, Once a connection has been created, just the woman can initiate 'conversation'

Tinder story is a bit completely different from other social networking phenomena. in whose sale benefits, It is not a start up unlike, for example, The photo posting about it app Instagram (Sold for $1 billion to facebook or twitter in April 2012, 18 months after its let go), The blogging and site-building site Tumblr (gathered by Yahoo! with regard to $1.1 billion dollars in June 2013) Or the second messaging app WhatsApp (Sold for $22 billion to Facebook in feb 2014). Its founders will not become extravagantly wealthy off the back of a huge sale to a bigger company because it has always belonged to a bigger company. Hatch Labs is owned and control by Inter ActiveCorp, an electronic digital media business. in total, IAC owns 35 dating site.

Tinder: A man's perception

Wolfe claims to have devised the name Tinder and began work on its marketing after the app launch in sept 2012. she says she was awarded co founder status, Alongside Rad and his long time friends and business partners Badeen and Justin Mateen.

Tinder food was simple. The swiping mechanism is really well simple, And being paired up offers instant gratification. Avoiding the stilted email conversations exchanged on dating websites, happy Tinder matches can instant message at will. extremely, Tinder can be free (limited service, Tinder or, formed in March). Its lack of cost and instant useability attracted a broad church of users who would traditionally never have considered online dating. Tinder, generally, Made internet dating cool. Remember when we were starting off Tinder, We were like, probably going to be the next Instagram! Wolfe informs me.

Like facebook or myspace, The app was invented into American colleges (Wolfe says she put together the idea of promoting Tinder within university sororities) And it spread without chemicals and quickly. towards the end of last year, Tinder recorded that it had 50 million active users, With the average user spending just above an hour a day on the app. the has been valued at $1.6 billion.

naturally, copy cats have emerged; the positioning based app Happn was the first, Connecting users with wondering passers by, And then it has Hinge, For those open in their hunt for a romantic relationship.

A woman must initiate dialogue within 24 hours or the match will disappear.

It was during Tinder nascent rise that Wolfe began a brief correlation with Mateen the company chief marketing officer and her direct line manager. every thing has become ended when, according to Wolfe, He became verbally managing and abusive. She contends that Mateen called her a and a and ordered to provide she have her title rescinded. When Wolfe lamented to Rad, She said he vulnerable to fire her. Wolfe resigned.

After Wolfe had filed her hp last July, Mateen was revoked by IAC. group also stripped Rad of his CEO title (He now serves as president) And the reported $1 million arrangement figure was reached. At daft, bear in mind, Was there any admission of wrongdoing.

Tinder began to assemble a raft of negative publicity. Detractors contended that the app reduces searching for love to a surface deep video game, With female users significantly more disparaged by the barrage of nude images and aggressive, Crude come ons we can receive each time they logged on.

How never to be a creep on a dating app

to have Wolfe, The episode served as a quick studies in feminism. Going well, she says. Until I started develop Bumble, The concerned me. People would ask me if I was a feminist and I didn know how to respond. The word did actually put guys off, But now I accept, Who cares about it?

Her emboldened ways to feminism informs the make up of her new company. vast majority of Bumble dozen strong team, Based at the workplace in Austin, ladies. Some of them are even former Tinder employees, the actual web designer Gulczynski (Another former co owner), And eva Mick, the pinnacle of design. Jennifer Stith, A former business overseer to the Kardashians, Is a recent addition to the team. Andreev, endure, Is an active partner in the commercial.

Sitting ahead of me with her perfectly coiffed hair, Pink manicured nails and year round tan, Wolfe is probably an easy target for sexist critics. But she is a 25 year old who has help set up one multibillion dollar company and founded another this time under the title of CEO that could achieve similar success.

How well is Bumble using, I say. We not creating any that yet, states, grinning. working on building a loyal customer base first, And that takes a great amount of time. As with all of popular free apps, Revenue will have to be generated through display advertising.

The app target demographic is 18 35, But there is no upper age limit and it has recognition with the over 30s. Thought it is go down well with mingle2 dating college age kids, Wolfe reveals, there are plenty of middle aged professionals on it too.

Bumble initial growth is said to be even stronger than Tinder with about 100,000 downloading in the first month. start would dream of what we seeing, She says. Sixty per cent of matches on the app turn into interactions, And she says that 60 couples already have in touch to say their conversations have turned into real life relationships.

Bumble takes pressure off the men and gives women the validation to be more forward. If a recent poll for Esquire magazine is everything to go by, Men agree it is time the roles were reversed. It found that only four per cent of men believe making the first move are to be up to them. leaders, men these are all educated guys, And educated guys know feminism signifies equality, Wolfe reads. Don just want that you hang off their arm; they have bright, durable women. A study by Pew Research found that women are very discerning on dating apps swiping that they a potential date only 14 per cent of the time. Men swipe confidently in 46 per cent of cases.

Wolfe says that whenever the app first launched most of its users were men, But as word spread large numbers of women joined, And the ratio is now nearer to 50:50. in comparison, Research by Business Insider established that 62 per cent of Tinder users are male. Love Bumble because for the first time they being chased rather than the opposite way round, states. Women love it because they're not being bombarded with messages.