dcsimg

Broken hearted to see former house wrecked by new owners

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

Broken hearted to see former house wrecked by new owners

Postby housecrazy sarah » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:55 pm

I am having such a hard time lately when I drive by a great old house that I sold a couple of years ago. It is quickly going downhill because the new owners are not taking care of it or the yard.

I am so broken hearted because it was such a wonderful family home for us. We bought it as a foreclosure and put a ton of money, time, energy and love into it. We used to have people in the neighborhood walk up to our door and thank us for "rescuing" the house. They were so disapointed when we sold it. Ugh, I feel like I let them (and the house) down!

If I had known that the people who bought the house would wreck it, I never would have sold it in the first place. :cry:

Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this?
check out my crazy (but humble) house blog: http://www.house-crazy.com/
housecrazy sarah

Re: Broken hearted to see former house wrecked by new owners

Postby Civil War Seamstress » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:13 am

Yes I feel your pain mostly in the case of when you sell someone a house that is on a maintenance schedule rather than a full rennovation nightmare, what the hell is it to keep up a bare minimum???

My first house was only 50 years old, but the original owner kept it supreme and we continued to keep it as one of the best kept properties in the neighborhood. We lived in a city where the "Joe 6-pack" mentality ruled it is a BIG TIME welfare town and crime ridden too. My neighborhood was one of the last few areas that didn't have as many problems as the rest of the city, but compared to where I live now, it was a demilitarized zone. People barely mowed lawns and trimmed bushes and the neighborhood was "so-so" at best. So if you took care of your house it was an immediate stand out! People would also stop and even compliment us on how nice it looked when they walked or drove by.....

Well in 2006 we put it up for sale and the first people who looked at it bought it!! The way the new owners were acting we thought they were going to love the house and continue its care an upkeep as they were so excited at how "perfect" everything was.

Well... my mother still lives on the same street, she's lucky in her little part of the street only 1 house is not kept up. A hoarder lives in that house. (are you getting a picture in your head... a hoarder who lives in a slab foundation ranch with the cellar, attic and only a one car garage.....you will NOT sleep tonight.....). I have to drive by my former house. Its a shame that the house had vinyl siding and a low maintenance garden that even with NO maintenance is looking ratty. I guess too with the toys all over the lawn, trash barrels left out front, no trimmed grass and a forsythia bush that was allowed to overgrow the corner of the house....the house fits right in with the rest of the neighborhood. No one has seen her husband in such a long time that talk is going around he's in jail..... I guess that's enough said there, right??? :wink:
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/
Civil War Seamstress

Postby YinzerMama » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:36 am

You're making me feel guilty about my lawn... :oops:

The grass needs mowed but I don't know how to approach it because every year daffidils and tulips come up in this patch that used to be mulch and flowers and we THOUGHT we got them all up but we clearly did not. And I hate to mow them down, but if I mow around them, it looks awful... But I guess if I mow around them and it looks awful, at least it looks like I am trying?
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Postby Civil War Seamstress » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:55 am

Oh NO Yinzer!!! The type of neglect I speak of is the only kind you can get through years of not giving a damn. And it isn't just the lawn, the houses are just as bad.... every neighborhood has them...

At the Wackyshack we have this horrible yellow grass that grows on a long vine like network of roots and it is tough like palm leaves. I call it duck grass but I am not sure what it really is. Our lawn isn't stellar by any means, but at least the neighbors see us working on stuff and see gradual improvements in some places so they don't say anything about where we come up short.
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/
Civil War Seamstress

Postby Tujo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:57 am

I would prefer never to go back and see my former house again. I'm scared that the vintage arc deco light fixtures that I rewired would be gone, the carefully stripped and refinished door handles will have disappeared, the original windows will be ripped out...

I would rather remember it just the way I left it
Tujo

Postby YinzerMama » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:28 am

LOL I'm just kidding. But the grass IS high...

I'm sure the PPOs are not happy with our yard. I have met the wife and she shrugged and said "people like different things." I guess she was VERY into gardening and the yard was gorgeous under her reign, lots of flowers and plants that just came up year after year... the the POs took a bunch of that stuff out and put in retaining walls and boxes and tons and tons and tons of pea gravel with things among the pea gravel that looked great one season and then turned into a nightmare... so we removed a bunch of hard to maintain stuff (and some ornamental but in the way bushes/trees in the back) in the interest of making the yard low maintenance - but there is one strip we don't know what to do with (was pea gravel and phlox, is now phlox and weeds) - and those tulips and daffodils just won't quit.
YinzerMama

Postby eclecticcottage » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:48 am

The Old House was our first house, and we haven't sold it yet because it's our backup for when we need to not be in the Cottage due to work there. Plus we need the storage and space for our business at the moment.

We are considering removing certain things and putting them into the Cottage rather than leave them when we do sell. The area has really gone down hill and we won't get any less for it without them than with, so it's less money we'll need to spend on the Cottage (some plank paneling, a shed, some landscape). At the price point it will be in along with the neighborhood, I don't have a lot of hope that it will be super well kept and maintained sadly. But there's nothing we can do, except move on and enjoy the Cottage!!
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Postby downtowndahlgren » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Since I bought this house 10 years ago, I've always said I would have to either die here, or move VERY far away if I ever sold it. Geesh, I was mad enough when I drove by the 1974 rancher that late hubs and I owned and saw they had cut down the huge oak tree (like, a 100 ft. diameter crown). And I never even really liked that house! I'm honestly afraid that if someone demolished my original auto house or significantly changed the house itself, I would likely be incriminated for doing something to the new owners or else becoming extremely depressed about the changes. So I guess I'm here for life, or I'll have to move to Alaska or someplace equally remote. I do feel for you Sarah! :(
downtowndahlgren

Postby utopia13 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:00 pm

I know for me, it's a balancing act keeping up with the maintenance. This Spring, I have put my focus on the outside. I put weed killer all over the front & much of the back of the lawn.

My neighbor's mom gave me some great, soon to be tall, Hostas that actually began life in her Grandfather's garden!

I also got some great old wicker furniture for my front porch. That was my deal of the Spring.

I'm back & forth on whether to keep it all white or not...
ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby YinzerMama » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:28 pm

This thread is really funny because aside from my reluctance to give up our house because I would miss it, I worry that whoever buys it won't love it as much as I do. I feel blessed that the past owners of my house have kept it in such remarkable condition. I mean they have made some questionable paint choices and so forth - the fake wainscotting in the back sunroom - but overall there is a lot original - and if I were feeling rotten I could make a bit of cash selling stuff off on Ebay. But I would never.

I feel like whoever bought my house, I would be like the annoying ex-girlfriend who wants to be best friends, just to keep tabs... they would be all "You're not dating him any more!" and I'd be all, can't we be adults and just keep in touch?

And then they would be all "Police! We need a restraining order because this woman won't stop walking past our house!"
YinzerMama

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum