Dealing with door knobs

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Sekhmet

Re: Dealing with door knobs

Post by Sekhmet »

What does boiling do? Help lift off grime? Can/should I boil the knobs, too?

Thanks! :D
The Edward A. Ohlms House, c. 1908
Historic Old Town, St. Charles, Missouri

gluby174

Post by gluby174 »

You can soak the parts in this product,works great, http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html,
as everyone said,just clean up the locks,mortice and rim locks are fairly simple to work on ,there are not many parts ,adjust the striker plate on the jamb so the lock matches up.
Try Ebay it is the place to look for matching hardware,I found all my missing hardware for my doors there,and for a fair price.Good Luck Gene

MrGrady

Post by MrGrady »

Sekhmet wrote:When you guys say "pen springs," are you literally referring to the spring one might steal from a pen??
Yes, literally. My screen door handle (orig. mortise type) wouldn't spring up. It was due to rust and a busted spring. I stole a spring from a pen, cleaned it up, and sprayed some WD-40 in it. Works like a champ now. Cost pennies and took, maybe, 20 minutes.

As a side note, I've had awesome luck with the crock pot paint removal for hardware. I got a cheapy crock pot at walmart, add a little detergent, and let is sit overnight. The hardware is restored to bare metal with very little effort.
The Birdsall House- Built 1868, Queen Anne renovation 1895

Sekhmet

Post by Sekhmet »

Boiling/crockpot method and evaporust -these methods won't affect a Japanned finish will they? That is what these have. If you are not familiar you can kind of see it in this pic I found, on the back plate especially, Image

Also, upon further investigation, the springs in mine have hooks, and look bigger than a pen spring... Will try to post a pic.

Texas_Ranger

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I'm not sure WD40 is a really durable lubricant for this application. I was strongly advised not to use WD40 but rather proper grease as a long-term solution. However, WD40 works great for getting old grime/hardened grease off.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com

jwesevich

Post by jwesevich »

I had pretty poor luck with anything Japanned...any rubbing at all, or paint removal took the finish/copper with it. :( I ended up painting them afterwards...which was a huge improvement over the originals with white paint spattered all over.

Otherwise, the $10 crockpot with a little baking soda in the water for a few hours (less for latex), and then a brass brush+green pads+DNA or Brasso+elbow grease, and things come out very nice...

The mortise locks are pretty easy to deal with after the first couple, and it was mostly just getting the dirt/grime out and then hitting them up with DNA or Brasso to get the shine back.

jeff
Emma F. Brown House 1897
Model for: Barber's "Modern Dwellings" Catalog 27E
"Vinyl is just a fancy name for Plastic"

mross_pitt

Post by mross_pitt »

Are the knobs all painted or do they just have some overpaint from the doors like the first photo?

Sometimes even hot water is enough to make the paint come right off especially if it's just bits of paint here and there.
I agree that any abrasive scrubbing will end up polishing the surface and removing the original finish.

steponmebbbboom

Post by steponmebbbboom »

Do not use WD-40.

WD-40 is a penetrant and (W)ater (D)isplacer (40) for drying moisture from car distributor caps. It is not a lubricant. To lubricate the locksets, you are better off using 3-in-1 oil or a light machine oil (i sometimes use a Zoom-Spout oiler, or the rebranded Masters version) for oiling locksets. Do not use any harsh cleaners on the doorknobs and escutcheons if you want to preserve the Japan finish. By your pictures some soap and water and a toothbrush should lift most of the dust and dirt without destroying the finish.

Post some pictures of your first mortise lockset with the cover removed. Some detail shots of the moving parts should reveal to us which parts if any are worn out. They do wear out if left unlubricated for decades. Or, your striker plate on the doorframe may just be out of register with the lock bolt (that one that you have to slam shut almost certainly). It sounds like you're not very handy with mechanical things so maybe if you share your story with someone around the water cooler or where you hang out on the weekend you might score a mechanically inclined friend to help you with this project.
Mainwaring House 1911
Image "What do you mean you don't replace telephone poles that are dirty and scratched?"

Sekhmet

Post by Sekhmet »

mross, a few of them have paint splatters, but none of them are actually painted.

I have uploaded additional pics to the Google album - the one I have taken apart is from another door, not previously shown (master bedroom). It has been working, but poorly. Upon inspecting it, I am hopeful that it was just in desperate need of cleaning & oiling, and that when I put it all back together it will work well. The spring seems to have good tension still.

Also, there was no screw holding the mortise closed; it must have just been held in place by being within the door. It seems like that in itself may have caused enough looseness to affect overall performance.

Full album: https://picasaweb.google.com/1001135079 ... 5361/Doors#

One pic of the guts of the lock:

Sekhmet

Post by Sekhmet »

mross, a few of them have paint splatters, but none of them are actually painted.

I have uploaded additional pics to the Google album - the one I have taken apart is from another door, not previously shown (master bedroom). It has been working, but poorly. Upon inspecting it, I am hopeful that it was just in desperate need of cleaning & oiling, and that when I put it all back together it will work well. The spring seems to have good tension still.

Also, there was no screw holding the mortise closed; it must have just been held in place by being within the door. It seems like that in itself may have caused enough looseness to affect overall performance.

Full album: https://picasaweb.google.com/1001135079 ... 5361/Doors#

One pic of the guts of the lock: