Gas Valve Floor Cover

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Gas Valve Floor Cover

Postby jrmani on Mon May 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Forum-Mates,

I recently purchased a home which was built in 1936. I had hardwood floors installed in theliging room. The livng room has a gas fireplace. I need a decorative valve cover to cover the rough-in hole in the hardwood. I would prefer something "period." I need a brass cover which screws into the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have been all over the internet and while there is a wide range of products, I can't find what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

I have attached a photo of what I'm looking for.
jrmani

Re: Gas Valve Floor Cover

Postby Patchules on Mon May 21, 2012 6:15 pm

Do you really want to cover a gas valve with a plate that is screwed to the floor? I can see a brass plate with a correctly sized heavy piece on the bottom to hold it in place. Want to try the photo again, might help us visualize the hole and valve

Postby triguy128 on Tue May 22, 2012 8:32 am

I'd get something with a hinge and a latch so it's easily accessible. Good point mentioned. It's best to have easy access to thsi shutoff. I think codes might even require it.

I wonder if you could use an electrical box cover without the outlet box like these: http://hubbell-wiring.com/Press/PDFS/H5189.pdf

Maybe go to a local jewler and have it engraved so it's labeled "GAS SHUTOFF" somewhere on the cover.

:idea: That got me thinking. .. I need to install one of those in my living room where our couch is so we can power the lamps on the end tables without an extension cord under a rug... which I know isn't the safest thing to do.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby eclecticcottage on Tue May 22, 2012 11:58 am

I'm not seeing the pic for some reason.

Anyway...about all I can come up with on the fly is what about a vintage register cover? You don't need to screw it down, just set it in the hole (we had one like that in our Old house, although it was meant to cover a hole between the stories to allow heat upstairs, it wasn't really a register). I took it off every so often to clean between the floor and ceiling...
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Postby Patchules on Tue May 22, 2012 12:34 pm

If you have the space can you make a wood plug out of the same flooring material? If the material is thin you could sandwich it with a piece of ply and inset a small D ring or finger latch.
Attachments
gas valve cover.jpg
gas valve cover.jpg (53.88 KiB) Viewed 9675 times
Patchules

Postby carter122 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:04 am

Hello Guys,

I have required for Dante Gas Ball Valve Floor Plate but I found this long time didn't match this product for any store please suggest the company site link & details than I will purchase this product.

Thanks in advance!
carter122

Return to General Discussions Forum