Window restoration season again! Weight question...

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Sombreuil_Mongrel

Re: Window restoration season again! Weight question...

Post by Sombreuil_Mongrel »

Don't worry about the weight on the upper sash, unless you regularly open them, because extra weight will simply pull the widow closed. But if the lower sash is over-weighted, it will not stay shut w/o the lock.
Why not use a grinder to remove some of the cast iron inch by inch? A cutoff saw would be perfect, but a grinder or a skilsaw with the right blade would do. Wear eye protection!
Casey

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Personally I would highly recommend locating and using Spot Cord. I am finding Green Spot on a regular basis, which indicates that it was installed during WWII, and much of it is still functioning

Fanner

Post by Fanner »

I have heard the the Spot cord is best - I have been ordering Sarco type M on line for putty, so I have this goofy idea that I should at least patronise "Mom-n-Pop" hardware store for their cord... it does have the nylon core, so I am hoping to get some longevity out of it.

After a bit of crafty jimmying I got the weights out of this window - for some reason the upper sash weight was extra long and I couldn't angle it out of the pocket door. I had to drop new cord down, attach it to the old broken off piece of cord that was tied to the weight and then lift it high enough to angle it out from the top of the hole down... The upper sash weights are 18 pounds each - bottom sash weights are 16 pounds each.

I plan to use the lighter glass in the upper sash - they measure the same. BUT, there is a groove in the top rail on the bottom sash and it is just a few millimeters too small for the larger piece of glass :roll: I will have to use my fancy dremmell tool to make the groove slightly larger...

So, that's where we are today - I'll let you know if the sash turns out to be the latest amusement ride for the kiddos when I'm all done :wink:
1904 Victorian :)

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

I adjusted a few weights. I calculated where I needed to cut then scored a line about a 1/4" deep the grinder. Then put the weight in the vise and hit with a hammer and it broke right off.

Fanner

Post by Fanner »

Interesting new twist with this window - I was not able to get one of the weights out through the pocket door. I jimmied and pushed and pulled and banged, but with the length of the weight I just couldn't angle it out through the hole. I had to tie the cord by reaching through the hole... So cutting wouldn't have been an option that time. I'm hoping that isn't the trend for the diningroom - what a pain. Oh and the sash with the thicker glass weighed in at 38 pounds!

Thanks for the weight cutting tips!

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

I did one window in my house that has 1/4" glass and was in the 40 lb range. I also was having trouble getting the weights out and left both weights in the pocket and tied them thru the hole. I remember it being tough. I have 6 more like that in the future to do.

Of my thick glass windows one has a crack and I will be replacing the glass then. Till then a piece of packing tape will do.

Fanner

Post by Fanner »

Here is the control mechanism on my nieces windows... Thoughts on how to refurbish these?
The rope and pully end
The rope and pully end
Redo2012-06-21_15-51-40_465-1.jpg (189.42 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
The top is on the left.... A rope and pully system on 1 end and a long spring on the other. These are set through the long grooves along the side of the sash - where the ropes run on a weight balanced system.
The spring end
The spring end
RedoB2012-06-21_15-51-53_690-1.jpg (181.78 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
Where they meet in the middle:
RedoC2012-06-21_15-52-09_179-1.jpg
RedoC2012-06-21_15-52-09_179-1.jpg (255.33 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
There are grommet type things with the rope looped through and screwed onto the window track. The rope ends here, it does not go back through - the sash basically suspends from the grommet thingy and the pulley, rope and weights are all in the sash stiles....
Ok, can't add a fourth picture, so I'll put it in a post below...

I hope these pictures turn out okay, this is my first attempt at the posting photos from my phone...

Fanner

Post by Fanner »

Here are the "grommets" - I have no idea what else to call these. The 1 on the right is for the top sash and the 1 on the left is for the bottom 1...
RedoE2012-06-21_15-57-01_945-1.jpg
RedoE2012-06-21_15-57-01_945-1.jpg (213.14 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
and here's a shot of 1 of her windows:
RedoF2012-06-21_15-57-25_545-1.jpg
RedoF2012-06-21_15-57-25_545-1.jpg (188.86 KiB) Viewed 2456 times

Sombreuil_Mongrel

Post by Sombreuil_Mongrel »

Well, the way this kind of thing works is that you tension the spring for the top sash just enough so that it stays in the "up" position, and the spring for the bottom sash so that it stays down (without rising unbidden!). The error would be too little tension on the top and too little tension on the bottom. It's trial and error to adjust unless you have the old cords to measure.
Casey

Fanner

Post by Fanner »

Thanks. So you add enough rope to hold the spring at the right tension..? The rope is there for this particular window, any thoughts on how to attach the rope securly to the gromet thing (there has to be a better name for those)? It looked like the rope was permanantly melded in the metal rings... and is there any torking that is done other than having the ropes at the right lengths?