Window restoration season again! Weight question...

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

jade mortimer

Re: Window restoration season again! Weight question...

Post by jade mortimer »

ya know, i thought i had seen everything but, from what i see in your photos, this is a first for me...perhaps it's more common in areas outside of new england...looks more complicated than it needs to be really...
...jade

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Fanner, that's one weird duck. Nothing like that in my part of the South. Looks like an offshoot from the block and tackle concept from what I can make out. What year was the home built? George

Fanner

Post by Fanner »

Blargh, that figures - just when you think ya got it all figured out :?

I have asked her when it was built and now it escapes me... I'll get back to you on that, but I am thinking either 1923 or 1932 (I have "dyscalculia" - I jumble numbers in my head insead of letters :wink: )
1904 Victorian :)

Fanner

Post by Fanner »

I was wrong on both counts; it was built in 1937.

Next problem - the glass on the bottom sash is caulked all the way around :/ Apparently someone *really* liked their caulk, as the top sash was caulked across the top rail - gluing it to the head jam..!
1904 Victorian :)

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Sounds like the PO had a problem with the warping of the meeting rail. I've used the glass as structure myself on occasion to correct this by gluing across the top. Caulking in the interior is also common to keep condensation from contacting the wood. If you are trying to remove the glass, carefully run a razor around the caulk/glue. Take your time and do not force it.