Any experiences with Detroit Jewel stoves?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Any experiences with Detroit Jewel stoves?

Postby tudorrevival » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:37 pm

I am considering buying a Detroit Jewel gas stove from the early 1950's. I am going to see it in person soon, but it is supposed to be in great shape.

I have Googled the company, and didn't find much in particular about their quality and/or reliability (though it must be fairly decent since this one was used continuously for 60 years). Were they considered high end, low end, middle of the road in terms of brands? Has anyone cooked on one of these? Any feedback?

I plan to have it thoroughly checked over by a repairman with many years of experience once I get it home.

Thanks!
Jen
1935 English Style House Image
tudorrevival

Re: Any experiences with Detroit Jewel stoves?

Postby eclecticcottage » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:00 pm

Detroit Jewel was a regional company. In other words, you're more likely to find them in the North East than South West. We have a Floyd-Wells, which was made in PA that's the same. I think Detroit Jewel was more popular so parts might be easier to find.

If you look at my blog you can see plenty of pics of my stove, which is about the same era as yours, while I was getting it ready for use. Mainly cleaning it, and adjusting the orifices so it would work with propane instead of natural gas (not all stoves are adjustable). Quite honestly, it's about as simple as it can get. Ours has no options though, the more options, the more things to break and complicate things. It doesn't even have a clock! The standing pilot isn't much of a problem and doesn't seem to "eat" much propane, and the match light oven isn't all that scary either, it works just as it should.

Will you be using the same fuel source as it is currently using? Before we found out ours was adjustable, I hit about 100 brick walls trying to find someone with new orifices!

We have been using the Bengal since we got it plumbed, with only a few issues-like one burner needs more adjustment because it doesn't like to light. There aren't really any "wear" parts, aside from maybe the oven thermostat, so reliability isn't much of an issue. Mostly, I'd see if it's still hooked up and light each burner and the oven. Make sure all the knobs are there and aren't broken, same for the burner grates. One of my burner grates is cracked and I'll be darned if I can find a replacement.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Postby tudorrevival » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience! I enjoyed reading your blog entry. We have natural gas, and the stove was formerly hooked up to natural gas.

Why is your oven not working? This stove was used regularly until 2 years ago, but is not hooked up to the gas source any more. I'm hoping a repairman can get it up and going again without major repairs.
1935 English Style House Image
tudorrevival

Postby eclecticcottage » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:32 pm

The Bengal's oven works fine-it is match lit though, no pilot or electric ignition. The one that was in the stove (a Hotpoint) that was here when we bought the Cottage had a disfunctional oven. I don't know what was wrong, but it was bad.

I couldn't find anyone here that would even touch it, but it turns out it's pretty easy to work on.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Return to General Discussions Forum