Dangerous tree/uncooperative neighbor

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

triguy128

Re: Dangerous tree/uncooperative neighbor

Post by triguy128 »

Sounds like people that should be living out of town in the country. They aren't suited to coexist with other people in a community. Some foolks have trouble with the concept that there are both pubic and private spaces in and around a home in a muicipality, and you person property rights are greatly restricted.

Parking in front of their house? Ummm in every town I'm aware of it's a public street. Unless they specifically have a handicapped sign or a no parking sign or there's a city ordinance regarding how long a car cna be parked in a spot or tiem restrictins... anyone can park there anytime. Its' a public street. Sidewalsk are on the city easement. Tts' technically not your property, but you are expected to maintain it.

I know where I live, if you look at the arial map on my property, it's clear that my property line stops about 10' from the curb.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows

kathyd

Post by kathyd »

They're just mean people who don't care about anyone except themselves. You're right, they shouldn't be around anyone. Rules for the sidewalk and street are the same here. Sidewalk belongs to the city, but we are responsible for 50% of replacement costs. As far as parking, there are no signs restricting parking in our area. They just want to control everything.

It's 3:30 on Friday afternoon and no tree company to take it out yet. I suppose I'll be hoping for Monday morning now.

shizzy

Post by shizzy »

I would be on the phone bright and early Monday morning with the POA person. These people gave you years and years of problems. You have been more than patient. I feel bad for the fact that the Wife is now dead and he is in failing health, but that's no excuse for still being a "you know what".

Call the POA, tell them they have a set amount of days to remove the tree or you will begin with calling the city once more. Where I live, each successive ticket by the city for the same issue increases in Dollar figure. They called the city over and over on others, I'd have no issue calling over and over on them.

cberhomengarden

Post by cberhomengarden »

I kmow this is an old post, but was there a resolution to this problem?
I hope it was resolved!
Carolyn

kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Yes, it was resolved, three weeks ago tomorrow. Here's a link to my post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30830

After it was taken down, I decided to go out in the back yard which had been badly neglected, since I was worried the tree would fall on me if I did anything. I started cutting down weeds and ripping out vines like crazy. I ended up with a very nasty case of poison ivy and am just getting over it now. Teach me to work too hard!

lisascenic

Post by lisascenic »

We have the opposite problem, at the my childhood house. The neighbors are *obsessed* with the dangerousness of trees, and harass our tenants to the point the we had arborist certify the health of all our trees, and had a lawyer send a cease-and-desist letter. The neighbor's emails to us would have been funny, if they weren't so insane. He apparently expected our tenants to pick up every leaf and twig that landed on his lawn, and if they didn't, he'd make little leaf-heaps on the tenants lawn in protest. Those twigs are *dangerous.*

And this is in a neighborhood famous for its flowering trees.

kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Well, you never know when a twig or leaf could do you seriously bodily harm. Made me laugh, but I'm sure it wouldn't if I was dealing with these crazies. I've been trying to get the same neighbor to cut up the tree that fell from his property during a storm a couple of years ago. It's still attached at the base and has fallen across his rusty old fence at the back of my property. So far his Power of Attorney has ignored it, as well as all the gigantic vines that are growing through his concrete and fence and over my stone retaining wall. I can't even get to most of them to chop down.

lisascenic

Post by lisascenic »

Once it crosses into your yard, you might as well cut it yourself.