building code requirements for closet lighting

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

kec01

building code requirements for closet lighting

Post by kec01 »

By chance, is anyone current on what is and isn't allowed for a light fixture that's inside a clothes closet? I know there are rules, but I thought I'd try you guys first for a quick answer. Thanks.

beachbons

Re: building code requirements for closet lighting

Post by beachbons »

Taken from an electricians' website;

The International code says:

"the types of luminaires installed in clothes closets shall be limited to surface mounted or recessed incandescent fixtures with completely enclosed lamps..." "Incandescent luminaires with open or partially enclosed lamps and pendant luminaires or lamp holders shall be prohibited."

The horizontal clearance is reduced to 6" for a recessed incandescent luminaire, from the 12" requirement for non-recessed incandescent luminaires, which is a benefit of using cans. In high-end work, I often hear that homeowners don't want flourescents over the doors in their small clothes closets.

The inspector is 100% right in requiring a lens or shower trim enclosing the lamp, regardless of how far away from the shelf it is.

As for the halogen lamp, the code's intent is clear, and I would not allow it. The fixture is generally an incandescent fixture, and installation of a non-incadescent lamp (like a screw-in flourescent or halogen/technical non-incandescent) in it is a futile attempt to sidestep the code.

Also, from that same site;

The only open-bulb fixture allowed in a closet is a flourescent. That means the fixture only allows a flourescent bulb to be inserted into it. Any fixture that CAN accept an incandescent bulb must have an enclosed shield.

kec01

Re: building code requirements for closet lighting

Post by kec01 »

Beachbons, Thank You! This is a huge help!