dcsimg

Whiting substitute???

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Whiting substitute???

Postby MWeber on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:49 am

I've spent the morning driving around to local craft, art, hardware and paint stores looking for whiting (calcium carbonate?) to clean the glazing oil off my windows. Mostly just got blank stares. I can order it online but I have a freshly glazed 8 light sash to clean(first of many). Is there something else that I can substitute that will perform about the same that I could get locally to use this weekend? Or is there another use for this that might be available in some kind of store I haven't looked at yet? Thanks
PS anyone have a favorite source for such material?
MWeber

Re: Whiting substitute???

Postby lisascenic on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:00 pm

Where are you, and how much do you need? I have a huge bag in my studio, and I can send you some.
lisascenic

Postby mattswabb on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Grind up a piece of chalk. If you have kids use a piece of their sidewalk chalk.
mattswabb

Postby MWeber on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Thank you Lisa but I'm in Arkansas :( so it wouldn't do much good this weekend. Very generous of you to offer. I'll just order some. It appears to be really cheap. Meanwhile, I'll try chalk as suggested by Matt. Thanks Matt. I know my wife has some sidewalk chalk around somewhere for the grand kids.
MWeber

Postby MWeber on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:58 pm

FYI The sidewalk chalk did the trick. Didn't know what to use to grind it so used a little mini food processor. Four minutes or so in it and Bob's your Uncle.
MWeber

Postby pqtex on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:28 pm

MWeber wrote:FYI The sidewalk chalk did the trick. Didn't know what to use to grind it so used a little mini food processor. Four minutes or so in it and Bob's your Uncle.

Oh honeeeee...do you mind if I use your food processor for a few minutes? :mrgreen:
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby eperot on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:44 am

I've never gotten the whole whiting thing. I know that it is an effective way to clean the oil residue off the glass, but I usually just allow my sash to skin over until paintable and then clean the glass with regular glass cleaner. Is there a benefit I am missing?
Jacob Beaty House - c.1874
eperot

Postby lavender_bush on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:05 am

I'm with eperot

Inquiring minds want to know - although I've finally finished all my windows so it's complete nosiness :)
lavender_bush

Postby mattswabb on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:05 pm

After using chalk for the first few windows I bought my whiting off eBay. A few bucks a pound plus shipping.
mattswabb

Postby steponmebbbboom on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Glazing oil?

I've used Dap 33 to glaze windows with and never had to deal with oil residue...
Mainwaring House 1911
Image "What do you mean you don't replace telephone poles that are dirty and scratched?"
steponmebbbboom

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum