Stripper recommendation

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

steponmebbbboom

Re: Stripper recommendation

Post by steponmebbbboom »

http://www.hud.gov/offices/lead/lbp/hud ... s/Ch18.pdf

This paper goes over your options from a preservation standpoint. Heat removal is only one method.

Just because you smell paint does not mean you are breathing vaporized lead... If you use heat for stripping and keep the surface temperature below 450*F, you will not vaporize the lead in lead-based paint. You can get an IR point-and-click thermometer for less than $50 these days from Princess Auto/Harborfreight. The trick to using the speedheater is temperature regulation: Just don't keep it in one place too long. Either turn it off or set it down on its side into a steel laundry tub where it won't burn anything. Organizing the work area to allow proper work flow and prevent fires is a given, but is sometimes overlooked. With a speedheater or similar device, like other devices such as a soldering torch, work flow and housekeeping are essential.

I should also add that unlike the speedheater, the silent paint remover is not UL listed. Having seen both, there are visible differences in the build quality of the units though they both seem to be priced close to each other.
Mainwaring House 1911
Image "What do you mean you don't replace telephone poles that are dirty and scratched?"

jade mortimer

Post by jade mortimer »

oh the absurdity of governmental regulations...no wonder some projects take so long and cost so much...i laughed at the part where it says vinyl jambliners were used to inhibit paint to paint contact--oy!

i think it is very difficult to know when a heat gun or infra-red unit goes beyond 450 or 700 or 850 degrees...always work lead and fire safe--assume there are lead vapors and work accordingly...

chemical stripper is messy but it keeps the paint wet and there's no chance of fire...it's my choice when working on a client's home...

and that's my sassy two cents worth....... :?

...jade

MrGrady

Post by MrGrady »

Anybody have an opinion on Peel Away 1 on interior doors and window sashes? I plan on using the heat gun on the large flat portions of the doors and the Peel Away on the panel molding. Everything will be repainted again... there are just too many coats of paint to put three more on them.

I'm having a hell of a time finding 7 locally... just curious if there's any difference besides not requiring a neutralizing wash when you're done.
The Birdsall House- Built 1868, Queen Anne renovation 1895

jade mortimer

Post by jade mortimer »

peel away 1 had a bad reputation years ago...don't know if ingredients have changed...dumond chemical (maker of peel away and smart strip products) lost a class action suit with pa#1...folks were not sure how much neutralizing to do and there was a lot of paint failure and angry home owners...peel away 6 & 7 and smart strip are all pH balanced so they require no neutralization...

i had a long conversation with a chemist at dumond...was trying to get him to tell me the differnce between their products...it's proprietary information and all he would tell me is that the product was in the alcohol 'family'...i sympathized with him and said "yea, i have alcohol in my family and we don't like to discuss it either!"...

basically, the three products (6,7 & smart strip) work and clean up the same...keep in mind that you don't need to buy their paper--apply saranwrap (or equal) to keep the product damp and active...often it takes two applications to get things really clean...
...jade
Last edited by jade mortimer on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

s.kelly

Post by s.kelly »

I am working on 2 projects right now, with peel away products. Peel away 1 I am using on an old metal cabinet that will go in the kitchen. Very fast remover on the cabinet. I am not even covering, and in an hour or two it is ready to go. I am using vinegar to neutralize. It is very specific about only using their neutralizer for outdoor work, I imagine this is the result of the lawsuit Jade mentioned.

So for the exterior work I am using 7 and it seems to be pretty good too.
This does not require a neutralizer at all, so it is my choice for outdoor work. Not cheap, but fairly effective.

MrGrady

Post by MrGrady »

jade mortimer wrote:peel away 1 had a bad reputation years ago...don't know if ingredients have changed...dumond chemical (maker of peel away and smart strip products) lost a class action suit with pa#1...folks were not sure how much neutralizing to do and there was a lot of paint failer and angry home owners...peel away 6 & 7 and smart strip are all pH balanced so they require no neutralization...

i had a long conversation with a chemist at dumond...was trying to get him to tell me the differnce between their products...it's proprietary information and all he would tell me is that the product was in the alcohol 'family'...i sympathized with him and said "yea, i have alcohol in my family and we don't like to discuss it either!"...

basically, the three products (6,7 & smart strip) work and clean up the same...keep in mind that you don't need to buy their paper--apply saranwrap (or equal) to keep the product damp and active...often it takes two applications to get things really clean...also, next time the dentist is not looking, grab a few of his/her tools for the little nooks and crannies! or go to ocean state job lot and get them the honest way...

...jade
Thanks Jade... that's what I was looking for.

I actually ended up grabbing a small container of smart strip for a door I'm working on. I applied it overnight, and covered it with saran wrap. It turned the first two layers of paint (latex) to goo like nothing. I scraped and reapplied to the older paint... we'll see how it works! I like how there's pretty much no smell with the smart strip. I was using a heat gun (outside) , but I get nervous about the fumes with my 2 and 3 year old.
The Birdsall House- Built 1868, Queen Anne renovation 1895

shizzy

Post by shizzy »

MrGrady wrote:
jade mortimer wrote:peel away 1 had a bad reputation years ago...don't know if ingredients have changed...dumond chemical (maker of peel away and smart strip products) lost a class action suit with pa#1...folks were not sure how much neutralizing to do and there was a lot of paint failer and angry home owners...peel away 6 & 7 and smart strip are all pH balanced so they require no neutralization...

basically, the three products (6,7 & smart strip) work and clean up the same...keep in mind that you don't need to buy their paper--apply saranwrap (or equal) to keep the product damp and active...often it takes two applications to get things really clean...also, next time the dentist is not looking, grab a few of his/her tools for the little nooks and crannies! or go to ocean state job lot and get them the honest way...

...jade
this is how I did the back stairwell in my house using the citru-strip. I would cover an area I knew I could scrape in one sitting and cover it with Saran wrap. I'd leave it till the next day. it would roll off the 4 layers of paint most of the time.

Thanks Jade... that's what I was looking for.

I actually ended up grabbing a small container of smart strip for a door I'm working on. I applied it overnight, and covered it with saran wrap. It turned the first two layers of paint (latex) to goo like nothing. I scraped and reapplied to the older paint... we'll see how it works! I like how there's pretty much no smell with the smart strip. I was using a heat gun (outside) , but I get nervous about the fumes with my 2 and 3 year old.

pat719

Post by pat719 »

I Was told a little trick to help remove paint from my spindles. Take a container mix lye and water soak items for 15-20 minutes soak in vinegar. I tried it yesterday and it worked like a champ. I picked it up at ace hardware in the draino area. Be sure to wear protective clothing

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

We went with smartstrip.

And here's a test area my wife did. She left it on for 24 hours and covered it with Saran wrap.

I took off the security storm door. This was put on by a drug dealer who lived here in the 80's. It weighed at least 100 lbs. It will be on craigslist tonight.

Here's me removing the filler strip they needed when they installed the storm door.

And the details of the door. The sides of the columns were fluted as well

The top of the left column broke off and was being held in by the storm frame. I'll glue it in and fill in the damage to look nice.

My wife will work a section at a time and I'll post progress pics.

jade mortimer

Post by jade mortimer »

wow, that was some scribing job they did on the storm door extender piece....nice entrance way!

so, what do you think of the smart strip? did it work as well or not as well as you had hoped? it looks good to me...you've got some work ahead of you but it will look fantastic once all is said and done and the last coat of finish paint has dried...

great work....
....jade