Bathroom help

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

sundine2

Bathroom help

Post by sundine2 »

We have a small bathroom on the main floor that we have gutted completely. We actually gained maybe 2 inches after taking down the dry wall plus the boards under the drywall . We are to the original boards on the floor noww too. We want to put tile on the floor and on the walls . Do we need to put a wood underlayment down and then the wet boards down on top of that? I want a shower in there only because of resale value. It is small. Like less than 6x6.

Civil War Seamstress

Re: Bathroom help

Post by Civil War Seamstress »

I didn't think there was anyone who could beat me on the small bathroom award... I have 8ft long by 5ft 6" wide. It doesn't give much room for anything. I am within inches of being in code with the location of the toilet and I have a shower 36" wide.
You might want to go small like 32 inches and corner shower so there is no swinging door. Inches count when space is this tight.

Wish I could be more help to you... but I am interested to see what you figure out, as it will help me when I end up redoing mine down the road.

Good luck.
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/

sundine2

Re: Bathroom help

Post by sundine2 »

We did rip out a shower,toilet and pedastal sink in the room the door is like 27 in wide and swings in toward the toilet. We want to put the door swinging in to the wall. The shower was 32 x 32. We are thinking we might eek out 36 x36 tho.. First though we want to do the floor so I need to know what goes where to begin with

sundine2

Finally done!!!

Post by sundine2 »

Well we finally got the bathroom done right before turkey day. Well almost done. We don't have a door yet and still have some trim work to do but it is usable.
We ended up not putting in a shower and did just a vanity with a small toilet. We put prefinished hardwood floors down since it was only 6x6.
When I did the window I couldn't find another 3 # weight so ended up putting 5# wts in. The window is jerry rigged to begin with since the window weights actually go through a 2x4 on each side. So after the drywall was all up, mudded, primed and painted with the new trim up I find 2 3 # weights in a bucket....I swear my husband put them there. Oh well...I will post pics later...

Teri