Insurance Company Forcing Painting

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

mizimney

Insurance Company Forcing Painting

Post by mizimney »

Anyone else been visited by an underwriter forcing certain improvements made to their home? I got a letter earlier this summer informing me I needed to have my entire house and garage repainted by next sept or I might be dropped?

In the scheme of things, painting the soffits was pretty far down the list of more urgent matters we have addressed the last four years (electrical, plumbing, foundation, draintile, etc.)

My plan was to start painting next summer, but I will be lucky if I get one side completely prepped and painted by fall.

How worried should I be in potentially being dropped?

Glad to see peeling soffits poises a greater threat than a plumbing leak, electrical fire, or heaving foundation. Or I could just put up vinyl :twisted: and they would be fine with just covering up the problem.
http://oldhousejournal.blogspot.com/

Civil War Seamstress

Re: Insurance Company Forcing Painting

Post by Civil War Seamstress »

Well I know that when my Aunt and Uncle tried to get a house on VA they wanted the house painted (It was February). When the agent was told the paint wouldn't cure, the answer was: "The bare wood needs to be covered!" They ended up going conventional.

Maybe you should check and see into another insurance company???? But as crazy as it sounds, nothing surprises me.
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/

jade mortimer

Post by jade mortimer »

i am not a fan of facebook or twitter BUT....from what i understand, you can get a lot of people to read and respond and pass it on...write a post that includes the company's name and contact information...we, the people, have got to stand up to this crap...slowly but surely, we are being pushed to a position where we have little or no choices.....

go for it!!
...jade

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

We had an issue with our rental a few years ago. They wanted to drop that house because we do a month to month lease. So we went out and got a quote for both houses and both cars from another company. They would insure us as is and their rates were comparable.

We then wrote an email to the branch owner saying that we regret it but we are being forced to leave due to this issue. They reconsidered and we stayed with them.

Try a well worded letter to the company and let them know you might have to leave if this isn't resolved.

kathyd

Post by kathyd »

See my previous post on insurance inspection. I got the same letter in March of this year, never saw the inspector. The letter with the list of items did not come until early May. And yes, missing paint, dry rot, missing boards etc. was one of the items. Mine stated that everything had to be done by mid June. My agent called and said not to worry about the June date. My policy does not expire until January.

I did find someone who repaired as much wood as they could, replaced what was missing, and painted for a reasonable price. I have also repaired the front porch. Today the carpenter is going to add porch railings. That just leaves tuck pointing the chimney. The other 3 items were easy fixes.

My agent said to just let him know when the items were finished and he would come by. He apologized for the inconvenience and said this was something new Allstate was doing. He also said that once everything was finished, it would be a long time before I have to worry about it again.

I hope he's right. I hope to get tuck pointing finished soon, just waiting for my sister to pay me back the rest of the cash that she has owed me for awhile.

I have to admit, I always put things off. The house badly needed painting and repair, as well as the porch. So in the end, I suppose I'm happy I was pushed into doing things.

csnyder

Post by csnyder »

My brother and his wife had to paint their house a couple of years ago because their insurance company demanded it. The house was definitely in need of paint, but I also fail to see how it impacts the house from the insurer's perspective (wouldn't rotting wood not be covered by the policy anyways?). They had just moved in, having bought the property on a short sale, and had a bunch of other repairs to make. They were able to adjust their priorities and enlist family help (not me, thankfully<g>) to make it work.
Chris Snyder, WavyGlass.org

kathyd

Post by kathyd »

mizimney wrote:Anyone else been visited by an underwriter forcing certain improvements made to their home? I got a letter earlier this summer informing me I needed to have my entire house and garage repainted by next sept or I might be dropped?

In the scheme of things, painting the soffits was pretty far down the list of more urgent matters we have addressed the last four years (electrical, plumbing, foundation, draintile, etc.)

My plan was to start painting next summer, but I will be lucky if I get one side completely prepped and painted by fall.

How worried should I be in potentially being dropped?

Glad to see peeling soffits poises a greater threat than a plumbing leak, electrical fire, or heaving foundation. Or I could just put up vinyl :twisted: and they would be fine with just covering up the problem.
If you think you definitely can't get the painting finished in time, you might discuss it with your insurance agent and tell him your plans. Hopefully he can take care of it. Years ago we got a letter from State Farm, they were cancelling our insurance because the rear of our house was "dilapidated". They hadn't even let us know they were coming for an inspection. My husband knew our agent and called him. He took care of the cancellation and we had State Farm for several more year.

gluby174

Post by gluby174 »

I had a simular experience with my insurance company.I know it is a PITA but unfortunaly you just have to give in and paint what they want,and keep your policy,funny and bad timing ,they do not see all the other improvments you have made and pick on the little things,is it me or what,there have been alot of posts lately on insurance companies coming down on older homes,new trend ? does not make much sence for companies cancelling out homeowners policies even in a slow market ,Gene

eclecticcottage

Post by eclecticcottage »

Actually it makes a lot of sense. Bad economy=less acceptable business risks taken. A number of them have multiple lines, and might be getting ready to pay out on crop failures with the drought. OR some insurance risk assessment firm has done "research" and decided older homes are a greater risk, so companies are looking for reasons to drop them to make their portfolios look better.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)

jade mortimer

Post by jade mortimer »

not to turn this into a political discussion but wasn't it big banks and big insurance companies (AIG) who got us into this big mess in the first place???? if millions of us put our collective feet down and said NO! to these insurance companies, maybe we'd get a little leverage...slowly, over the years, the total control of big business has convinced us that this is the norm and there is nothing we can do but pay up....

i had the same insurance company for my business and my business vehicle paying about $30,000 in premiums over a 10 year period...once, just once, my payment was late by TWO days and they cancelled my policy!! i had never once made a claim with them....i found out through my agent that the insurance company was 'cleaning house' and dropped thousands of clients...i wrote them a lovely little letter...i write a lot of letters these days...just doing my part ma'am...... :roll:

...jade