EPA in the collections business now...

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Daniel Meyer

EPA in the collections business now...

Post by Daniel Meyer »

CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com

Sashguy

Re: EPA in the collections business now...

Post by Sashguy »

Daniel, Thank you very much for this information. My area has quite a few lease properties, and I'm quite sure that many of them are not aware of the requirement. I've posted the link on our local BB. I hereby nominate you for the Paul Revere Award (G). George

Daniel Meyer

Post by Daniel Meyer »

There are some truly scary things in there...

" landlords can still be fined even if they prove that their property is free of lead-based paint."

There is apparently no fixed fine...rather, they are assessed based on the target's "ability to pay"...which pretty much means they'll wipe you out....

If I'm ever a landlord...I'll just add a line item..."EPA Documentation Pass-through assessment" to the lease and charge a couple hundred dollars for it when they sign the paper. The tenant can take up the cost with the EPA.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

<<<" landlords can still be fined even if they prove that their property is free of lead-based paint.">>>

I am a landlord with a 1936 home on lease. I was not aware of this one, although, being certified, I've performed and documented that there is no lead present. This being the case, I've not passed out the document. I will now, and have a signed receipt.

jade mortimer

Post by jade mortimer »

ha, the many faces of governement...#1 tens of thousands of dollars in fines for not sharing a pamphlet to inform people about something they are well aware and #2 we exported $66.3 billion of weaponry in 2011 to foreign countries...gotta love that logic.......

there are many products manufactured in this country that contain lead, cadmium, mercury and other heavy metals...someone is profitting from removing lead and someone is profitting from manufacturing it...more logic.....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Tom and Jada

Post by Tom and Jada »

You may say we have a bad attitude, but we see the whole lead paint issue as another "witch hunt". By no means would we advocate eating or inhaling lead paint chips (or non-lead paint chips for that matter), but think about it. Most of us grew up during the lead paint era. How many people do you know who are age 30 or older who suffered from lead poisoning? I can't name any. I'm sure they're out there, but I'd guarantee they do not number anywhere near the number of frivolous lawsuits people are bringing today about lead. :roll:
Tom and Jada
Current project: Circa 1915 Georgian Colonial Revival
http://www.colonialrevivalrestoration.com

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

I don't know about that.... The last painter that I worked with was a pretty weird old guy. :lol:

lakee911

Post by lakee911 »

I've always handed it out and I have an addendum where they sign that they have received it. I've never tested for lead paint so I can claim that I don't know it exists. Just due to its age, I suspect that it does have lead paint somewhere, and I tell them to be careful, but technically I don't have proof...and it's better that way.
A blog about buying, improving, and living in a 1921 American Four Square in Clintonville, OH.

jharkin

Post by jharkin »

This has got to be the dumbest, most ridiculous (*#$^(&^$%%### crap Ive heard.....

(*#$^& like this is what gives legitimate efforts to protect the environment and public health a bad name and only fuel the fires of those who would roll us back to the bad old days of burning rivers.

triguy128

Post by triguy128 »

Tom and Jada wrote:You may say we have a bad attitude, but we see the whole lead paint issue as another "witch hunt". By no means would we advocate eating or inhaling lead paint chips (or non-lead paint chips for that matter), but think about it. Most of us grew up during the lead paint era. How many people do you know who are age 30 or older who suffered from lead poisoning? I can't name any. I'm sure they're out there, but I'd guarantee they do not number anywhere near the number of frivolous lawsuits people are bringing today about lead. :roll:

Just as a counterpoint. The paint would have been newer on homes years ago and not as likely to be chipping or needing sanded.

THe concern isn't accute poisoning. It's elevated level affecting brain development in children. Same reason lead was banned in pipes. You rearely know that you have lead poisoning, but take 2 people, one slowly exposed ot lead and another not, and the one exposed, all things being equally will be likely to have less bran development. OF course humans adapt to hte "cards their given".

II do agree however that it's blown all out of proportion. I know we got our daugter tested 7 months after we moved into hte hosue after having a lot of pinting done and so on. I was a little nervous. But it turns out that he lead levels were very, very low. Much lower than average and well below any threshold for elevated risks. But I was sweating it, because they can in fact force you to vacate a home until it's competlely mitigated or take your child away from you for neglect.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows