Sand in Water Pipes

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Sand in Water Pipes

Postby Sue on Sun Jun 10, 2001 3:24 pm

Help! About a month ago, my Dad helped my husband drain the hot water heater. Since then we've had next to no water pressure in the house. (No taking a shower upstairs...must use downstairs shower for only a little water.) Thinking it might be grit in the water softener system, we tried the bypass to see if it helped. Yes, it helped the water pressure some, but now we've discovered sand in the water lines. (Filling my daughters little swimming pool left over a cup of sand in about a 4x4x2ft pool.) Any suggestions, or do I call in both the well folks and the plumber and rename my home the "money pit"? Thanks a bunch!!

soyring1@aol.com
Sue

Re: Sand in Water Pipes

Postby Laura on Sun Jun 10, 2001 7:21 pm

You could try removing all of the filters on your sinks and shower heads, and cleaning them out-I am curious-did you fill your daughter's pool with hot water??? Or do you feel that problem is un-connected to the hot water heater?

Boneea@aol.com
Laura

Postby Ted Weddell on Sun Jun 10, 2001 10:13 pm

You mentioned a well and the says it all. Get the well people out there. It no doubt has to do with the filtering system and is probably a simple matter to fix it.

Good Luck!

Ted

TedWeddell.com
Ted Weddell

Postby Don M on Mon Jun 11, 2001 2:55 pm

I agree with Ted, it may be a filter problem or perhaps the pump is too close to the bottom of the well and needs to be raised higher by the Well Company. Laura also has a good idea about the strainers being clogged with sand. If your shower has one of those low flow shower heads it is also likely clogged. Did your husband get a lot of sand out of the water heater when he drained it? I had a replaceable water filter installed on our well pressure tank so any debris pumped out of the well was trapped before the water went to the house or barn. Sand is bad news for any water using appliances so get it taken care of soon. Good Luck, Don

donald_a_mclean@navsup.navy.mil
Don M

Postby Sue on Sun Jun 17, 2001 9:37 am

Thanks All!! After trying several things, we've had to give in and get a new well...hopefully we can get the DEP paperwork through soon. The problem is either --> the filter on the end of the well pipe has disintegrated allowing the sand through (which can't be repaired) OR the well is starting to collapse which is what is causing the sand (again, not repairable). We tracked backwards and realized the problem is less than a month old and when we opened the water conditioning tanks, they were all full -- that's too much sand to deal with using another filter. So, a new well is what we are doing. Thanks again.

soyring1@aol.com
Sue

Postby aaron007 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:27 am

Sue wrote:Help! About a month ago, my Dad helped my husband drain the hot water heater. Since then we've had next to no water pressure in the house. (No taking a shower upstairs...must use downstairs shower for only a little water.) Thinking it might be grit in the water softener system, we tried the bypass to see if it helped. Yes, it helped the water pressure some, but now we've discovered sand in the water lines. (Filling my daughters little swimming pool left over a cup of sand in about a 4x4x2ft pool.) Any suggestions, or do I call in both the well folks and the plumber and rename my home the "money pit"? Thanks a bunch!!

soyring1@aol.com

You can try this water filter.
aaron007

Postby elianahermione on Fri May 04, 2018 2:48 am

I guess you’re talking about the pipe that goes into the center of the insides of the filter body itself. If you are it isn't advisable. Best you empty the filter again & invert it to remove the sand that fell into that pipe even if you try & flush as much as possible out with the garden hose.
elianahermione

Postby chriss19 on Sun May 20, 2018 3:30 am

Hey,

I have a problem with my pool's pump I think it gets sand in it.
So, please anybody suggest me what should I change my pool's pump or repair it.???
chriss19

Postby chriss19 on Sun May 20, 2018 3:35 am

Hey,

I have a problem with my pool's pump I think it gets sand in it.
So, please anybody suggest me what should I change my pool's pump or repair it.???
chriss19

Return to General Discussions Forum