dcsimg

are metal roofs better than shingles?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

are metal roofs better than shingles?

Postby Ken on Wed Jul 04, 2001 11:40 pm

Are metal roofs better than shingles? What kind of price differance can be expected?

polekat22@hotmail.com
Ken

Re: are metal roofs better than shingles?

Postby Mike on Fri Jul 06, 2001 5:52 pm

Metal roof's last longer, but have more maintenance (painting) I just got a bid to reroof a farmhouse and the contractor proposed $3500 to tear of existing tin roof and reroof in asphalt shingle, but wanted $16,000 to reroof in standing seam metal. I was surprised at the difference, seeing as I priced out materials for both jobs and the difference wasnt that great. (About 10 square in size, with lots of flashing work) Hope this helps, Mike

shawfarms@hotmail.com
Mike

Postby heather on Fri Jul 06, 2001 9:28 pm

Just curious-did you ask why there was such a great difference? I have never had a home with metal roofing, but it does look more labor intensive.

mja@pcom.net
heather

Postby Mike on Sat Jul 07, 2001 12:38 pm

Thats what they said, more labor, plus they use a different product (more expensive)than the metal roof I had priced out. Mike

shawfarms@hotmail.com
Mike

Postby Don M on Mon Jul 09, 2001 11:26 am

I have a metal standing seam roof on 5 buildings and they are all at least 100 yrs old. They do require scraping and painting every 7 years or so but if properly maintained they seem to be good for a very long time. I did have to have the metal roof replaced on the back 1/3 of the house. The roofer replaced it with a beautiful new standing seam roof which he made on site using all the old roofing tools. It turned out great. BTW the house and barn still have their original wood shingle roofs under the standing seam and they appear to be in good shape after 160 years or so.

donald_a_mclean@navsup.navy.mil
Don M

Postby heather on Tue Jul 17, 2001 9:04 pm

has anyone ever installed a standing seam roof? i have been told that they are better where there is a significant amount of snow(it slides off?), but we have skylights(yes, i know, but building codes nessitated something to add "light and vent", and we had no more place for windows), and i am wondering if you can install a metal roof with skylights, etc. i am also wondering if installing a metal roof is something your avarege "old house web" do it yourselfer can accomplish-we've installed regular shingle roofs before(easy).

mja@pcom.net
heather

Postby richard on Wed Jul 18, 2001 7:27 am

metal roof installation requires experts, IMO. there are special tools for crimping the seams together to form a watertight seal. Also, how much insurance do you carry? Standing on a metal roof is very slippery and you could easily slide off. Metal is far less forgiving than asphalt or wood shingles. good luck
richard

Postby heather on Wed Jul 18, 2001 12:17 pm

GOOD POINT. SOME ONE TOLD ME THAT THEY TEND TO ATTRACT BEES-ANY TRUTH? I'VE NEVER LOOKED CLOSELY, SO I DON'T KNOW HOW THE ENDS ARE CAPPED.

lcpssitter@hotmail.com
heather

Postby Don M on Thu Jul 19, 2001 12:32 pm

I never heard of the bees attraction and I have five standing seam roofs on my farm buildings. Perhaps the bees are related to corrigated metal roofing? The roof is not too slippery unless wet and if you wear sneakers (rubber soled shoes) you have fairly good traction. As indicated the original standing seam roofs do require an expert roofer with all the tools and knowhow. There is a certain amount of soldering involved as well. The new variety of standing seam roofs being installed on new houses seem to come preformed and may be easier to install. I don't see any reason why the standing seam roof can't be installed around skylights. Good Luck, Don

donald_a_mclean@navsup.navy.mil
Don M

Postby rock987 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:14 pm

richard wrote:metal roof installation requires experts, IMO. there are special tools for crimping the seams together to form a watertight seal. Also, how much insurance do you carry? Standing on a metal roof is very slippery and you could easily slide off. Metal is far less forgiving than asphalt or wood shingles. good luck

Hello,
Thank you for providing this good information.
But I've to know more about IMO. Can you tell me???
Thanks in advance
rock987

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum