dcsimg

Double-hung windows with NO weight pockets?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Double-hung windows with NO weight pockets?

Postby Mike B on Mon Jul 16, 2001 1:59 pm

Here's an odd situation ... the double-hung windows in the in-law apartment over my garage do not seem to have weight access trap doors like the windows in the main house. The garage windows look the same at first glance, and they are definitely double-hung rope & pulley windows.

The inner track has never been painted in 80 years and I see no sign of a trap door. There MAY be a trap under the 4 layers of paint in the outer track ... but I don't see any "ghost" of a line or screws or anything else like I see on the main house. I haven't gotten out the heat gun yet to clean out the outer track because the renter doesn't want me to spend a lot of time in their unit and make a big mess ... but they do want to stop having to prop up their windows with books. I can't say I blame them.

Assuming I don't find a trap door in the outer track, do I have to take the whole window apart? And if so, how do I go about that? Is there some way to remove the side jambs of the window without having to disassemble everything? Anyone ever run across this before? Thanks ... just sign me "Puzzled in San Diego"! Mike

michael.blazina@gartner.com
Mike B

Re: Double-hung windows with NO weight pockets?

Postby AnneB on Mon Jul 16, 2001 2:55 pm

I have windows that are apparently double-hung but the top sash is immovable. They also don't have an access door in the typical spot, so I have been trying to learn about this myself. I found a book (I will have to get the name - it is at home) all about restoring windows and the author describes three types of access doors: (1)the typical location on the bottom part of the jamb, next to where the bottom sash rests, (2) on the top part of the jamb next to where the top sash rests (so, if you do have an access door in the outer track, it might be up high and blocked by the upper sash), or (3) no access doors at all.

He describes how the weights were sometimes dropped in from above before the header trim was attached to save the couple of dollars of adding an access door. I will get the name of that book for you, but would love to have what other people have to add to this.

abrodie@webbox.com
AnneB

Postby Laura on Tue Jul 17, 2001 11:07 am

Working Windows by Terence Meany available at Borders and Barnes and Noble-$14.95

Boneea@aol.com
Laura

Postby Don M on Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:56 pm

I have seen these w/o access doors. You may be able to gain access by removong the wood trim at the side of the windows or you may have to carefully cut doors in the usual spot if that is not possible. Good Luck, Don

donald_a_mclean@navsup.navy.mil
Don M

Postby Mike B on Tue Jul 17, 2001 8:07 pm

Thanks, everyone. I guess what I should do is just warn the tenant that this may be an all-day project (Sat or Sun) per each window and start with the one that is the worst. Prior to starting, this week I will buy new sash chain and trim/stops in case I destroy the old ones trying to take them out. Then Sat I will remove the inner trim and lower sash (which I know I can get free). Then I guess I will go in, cut the upper sash free of the paint, remove it, and heat-gun out the tracks, since that needs to be done to get the window working correctly, anyway. Then -- well, we'll see where to go from there. I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks again -- Mike

michael.blazina@gartner.com
Mike B

Postby Kevin C on Sat Jul 21, 2001 8:44 pm

I have heard that one can purchase a set of metal inserts for double hung windows. These allegedly provide enough resistance to movement that the windows no longer have to be propped up. However, they don't have such things at your ordinary hardward store. I have several windows where the counterweights are no longer attached, which would require the same amount of work ripping off a bunch of trim that Mike has described. Has anyone tried such this "quick and easy" fix?
Kevin C

Postby sue on Sat Jul 21, 2001 9:43 pm

Yes, the pressure plates fit between the window channel and the sash and they work great if you follow the directions on the package and get them in the right way. I don't have the pockets you can unscrew to get to the ropes/weights, either. These little aluminum strips can be found in most hardware stores. They have them at Menards, and Ace Hardware stores. I would be surprised if Home Depot and Lowe's don't have them. I looked to see if I have any, for the exact name of what they are called, ("Sash" something) but couldn't find any here at home. They only cost $2 or $3 per pair.

They have been holding up my 44" living room window for 7 yrs. I sure wouldn't tear up the whole window trim to fix the ropes. I'd never get it back together, looking right, anyway.

ssbungalow@aol.com
sue

Postby lkhering on Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:49 am

Two solutions: Just remove the window casing. That will expose the weight pocket and you can replace the weight sash cord. However, the two minute solution, which I found in my old house, was a small rectangular piece of wood nailed in the middle to the window jamb just barely loose enough to be able to rotate. Place it where you want the bottom of the window sash to open to. When you want the window to stay open, push the window up to just above this piece of wood, rotate the wood outward so that the window sash can rest on the wooden switch. Simple and elegant.
lkhering

Postby Pasquariello on Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:22 am

Love that wooden switch solution, lkhering! I've never heard of that before. Why isn't this more widely known? lol
Pasquariello

Return to General Discussions Forum