dcsimg

Potential way to stop spammers?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Potential way to stop spammers?

Postby SkipW on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:56 am

I don't know if it would work, but what do you all think about taking the board down or removing access to post messages for several days (or even a week)?

I wonder if that might stop the spammers as they will not be able to access the board or posting ability and maybe let it be known in the 'industry' that oldhouseweb is down/done/offline and then they will move on to some other victim.

I would miss OHW but I think we could do without for a week if the site was taken down temorarilly to get these a-holes to go somewhere else...

Just a thought, don't know how it would be done. I'm just sick of the spammers crap each day.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Re: Potential way to stop spammers?

Postby downtowndahlgren on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:09 am

Well, I think if the one poster, "reosto" was removed and booted somehow, that would help a lot. But I agree with you Skip. As much as I would miss the OHW boards, it's too frustrating to try and find a legitimate post through all this dreck everyday. Maybe if the site was down for a week and really good anti-spam software was installed by the board mods (which I've offered to pay for, btw), that might do the trick. Otherwise I'm afraid the site is going to be ruined totally.
downtowndahlgren

Postby mattswabb on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:26 am

I was an admin on a car forum and we had this problem as well and we used a similar software. We did a few things. We noticed that a lot of the email addresses of the spammers were .ru so we set it so emails with that extension and some others couldn't register.

We also set it so that the admin had to approve all new users before they could post. We had their user names and email and would simply google them and see what popped up. If the results looked suspicious we deleted them.

This eliminated almost all the spam.
mattswabb

Postby Kansas. 1911. on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:27 am

I scrolled, and I scrolled, and I scrolled. Then, I became a believer. We have to go dark for a week. Thanks, Skip, for deleting.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage
Kansas. 1911.

Postby Schag on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:32 am

Sorry guys, I was sick this weekend.
There is nothing I can do on these boards, aside from banning users and deleting their posts.
Unfortunately, that Resoto guy posted almost 3000 spams.
I have no way to remove that many spams, although I did try.
To me, they are all still there, but say that the post cant be found when I click on it.

I've tried to contact the site owners, but haven't heard back yet.

In the mean time, go in several pages past all the spam to see the current topics.
You can post and it will bring that topic to the top.

Frustrated,
Schag
Schag

Postby Cliff on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:20 pm

if this is a phpbb forum there is usually a way to ban and delete the member as well as remove all members posts simultaneously.
sears carlin
Cliff

Postby catya v.2.0 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Moderator, with all due respect ... it may be time to call in a professional to prevent future messes and/or clean up this one. I've gotten attacked by spyware and picked up viruses just from visiting suspect webpages and when I see something like this I tend to run away as fast as I can in the opposite direction - this isnt just some guy with time on his hands posting 3000 times just for the heck of it or just to annoy people. I'm not gonna click on any of these messages or links but some other innocent soul might. I still havent recovered from a recent hijacking (and possibly attempted identity theft) of my home pc - I'm writing from my local library.

Good luck & my sympathies - what a major headache.
catya v.2.0

Postby Schag on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:09 pm

Moderator, with all due respect ... it may be time to call in a professional

I agree, but I have no way to contact the site owners about any of this.
They are very hands off.
BTW, I just do the mod thing cause no one else would stand up to help.
Schag

Postby utopia13 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:41 pm

Maybe if new users have to be "allowed" to post for the first 20 posts? Or make them do one of those boxes where you have to type in the words to be sure you're not a "robot".

Just another idea...I'd be willing to pay to use the site. The site owner seems to be much like the property owner across the street from me...just collects the revenue & lets the trash accumulate. :evil:
Last edited by utopia13 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby Schag on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:42 pm

I already have Captcha set up when users sign up, and they have to confirm registration through email.

As for moderating a new users first posts, I really don't have the time to do it.
Schag

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum