Shipping large items

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

kathyd

Shipping large items

Post by kathyd »

I am looking at vintage stoves and somewhere in the future, maybe a vintage refrigerator. So I'm wondering, how do you go about arranging shipping for large items? I would assume that if I find one in the area, I could contact a local moving company. But what about if I find something I love that is a longer distance? Has anyone done this, or used a specific long distance mover?

mross_pitt

Re: Shipping large items

Post by mross_pitt »

http://www.uship.com/

I've only used it a few times, but it's similar to other online services. Shippers have feedback and other ratings. You can also post the details of the item without even having purchased it just to get an idea. First it will give you an "average cost" for shipping to and from your specific locations, and then the shippers give you quotes which your can accept, reject, or request more info.

CycloneOfRed

Post by CycloneOfRed »

I've used U-ship, but be careful...you get what you pay for...particularly avoid the big companies that will have your goods passing through several warehouses and different trucks. We are currently battling it out with an insurance company over several parts that went missing from an antique bed/dresser we had shipped from AZ. They managed to lose not only several smaller trim pieces (some not so small), but one of the legs off of the foot board. But I've had very good luck with more 'two guys and a truck' type companies, although you typically have to wait a bit longer for delivery.

Kevin
Laws of Home Repair:
1) It will be more difficult than you think.
2) It will take much longer than you think.
3) Murphy's Law is in effect tenfold.

mross_pitt

Post by mross_pitt »

I've had the opposite experience with the actual "Two Guys and a Truck". They charged more to move things 10 minutes than other do to ship 10 states across.

I've found good shippers who used to bid on Uship items but stopped because of having to pay a lot of fees. I agree to stick with the small companies...the guys with a just box truck, good feedback, and particularly those who have shipped similar or fragile items in the past.

CycloneOfRed

Post by CycloneOfRed »

mross_pitt wrote:I've had the opposite experience with the actual "Two Guys and a Truck". They charged more to move things 10 minutes than other do to ship 10 states across.
Sorry, I should've been more clear...I've never actually used Two Guys and a Truck. I was referring to exactly what mross_pitt said...a few guys with a box truck who are their own business. They rely on word of mouth and good experiences to stay in business, so their service and care tend to be excellent.

I suppose in saying that, one that I've used more than once and have always been exceptionally happy with is Rick Ships. Mostly sticks to the east coast, but what I've had shipped never came with so much as a scratch.
Laws of Home Repair:
1) It will be more difficult than you think.
2) It will take much longer than you think.
3) Murphy's Law is in effect tenfold.

Tom and Jada

Post by Tom and Jada »

I've used TSC Moving in the past with good results.
Tom and Jada
Current project: Circa 1915 Georgian Colonial Revival
http://www.colonialrevivalrestoration.com

Kansas. 1911.

Post by Kansas. 1911. »

Maybe there is a preferred shipper that people like. I mean, the people who deal with heavy stuff all the time. Mill Creek Antiques in Paxico, Ks, specializes in those really old pot belly stoves, and the restoration thereof. Look on the internet for sites such as these, and ask for their preferences.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage