Hurricane Sandy

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

senegal_jen

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post by senegal_jen »

Thanks all....had 4 hours without power this afternoon. Everything up and running now...if I can make it thru the night (with all trees upright) should be out of the woods....

SkipW

Post by SkipW »

Winds are whipping here on the coast of Maine, but not a lot of rain yet, maybe half an inch. They're telling us it's coming during the overnight hours. So far there are about 6000 customers in our county without power and it just started. To give you some idea, my town has less than 2000 residents (men, women children) in around 500 homes. So that equals about 12 towns out of 18 totally without power. I put the genny out and tied down the cover so it's hooked up and ready if we lose power overnight, chainsaw has a sharp chain and is gassed and ready, three 20x30 tarps ready to go and 400 feet of rope. We live surrounded by at least 40 pines that are at least 100 feet tall and some are 80 years old. They've stood the test of time, but each year during storms, we lose one or two, or parts of them. In the past three years we have had four 30-60 foot sections miss the house or cottage by feet...not a fun thing to hear at 2:00am and then go see....also sucks because I was up all last night due to my wife going into the hospital for surgery this morning at 7am but had to get up at 2am to start prepping and travel. A bit tired but love coffee anyway!

Hope all goes well for everyone and we can all trade funny stories tomorrow.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford

nezwick

Post by nezwick »

We lost power at about midnight last night. I got the generator running by 1am (it's VERY hard to start, to say the least), and by that time, I had 8-10 inches of water in the basement since the sump pump couldn't run.

My little green "garage-in-a-box" was uprooted and destroyed by the winds and its contents were scattered across the yard (and a bunch of salvaged lumber got wet). Other than that - my family, house, and cars were left unscathed.

Hope everyone else stayed safe as well. This morning, we were the only house in town to have the lights on thanks to the generator. No word when power is going to be restored.
The McCullough/Simkins house, built 1872-1877:
Progress thread on Old House Web

triguy128

Post by triguy128 »

I like the note about having tarps as well as the chain saw ready to go. Big trees can put big holes in a house. Best to be prepared if you have trees.

I picked up a small 2000Watt inverter generator last year since I'm paraoid we'll lose power in an ice storm and not have heat. I rigged up a plug so I can run my downstairs furnace. I could also run the fridge, or coffee machine, or toaster oven, or microwave, along with of course a few lights with LED bulbs... Just not all at the same time. :)

For our part of the midwest, the storm is bringing us 52-60F highs and cool 30-38F lows for 8 days strights wth sunny skys. Not bad weather, but a little unseasonably cool.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows

utopia13

Post by utopia13 »

It was crazy here last evening in Virginia! Driving home around 9-ish was a white knuckle ride for sure. The roads were nearly deserted, sso I drove down the center of the 2 lanes! There were huge winds & sheets of rain blowing horizontally across the road.

When I got home...all was warm & dry. Still had power & no water anywhere. Just in case, I cranked up the thermostat to warm up those radiators & took a shower quick.

Had a bite to eat & watched some tv.

Hope everyone else who hasn't updated us is all warm, fine & safe!!
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow

utopia13

Post by utopia13 »

I just saw an interview on the news with a woman in Milford, CT. (one of the hardest hit areas) She was going on about the high winds & pounding rain, then mentioned "but we had no damage to our home. It was built around 1860 something & she survived this storm fully intact"!!

Yeah baby...what did you expect?

We love our old places. Image
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow

lupinfarm

Post by lupinfarm »

Its 4pm here north of Belleville Ontario.,. winds gusty but not like last night. Oh boy the wind howled and moaned like a tormented soul. My son and I didn't get to sleep until 5am this morning. what with all the flapping of the stove vent in the kitchen and things blowing around outside. No damage to the house, she is run down and in rough shape but the old bones still
have many years of storms left in them. I bet there are many "Modern Monster home" owners who are calling their insurance
companies with claims for wind and water damage today. Only a few tree limbs down on the property. Went out this morning with my trusty Sawzall and cut up a downed branch that was laying over my neighbors fence line. Any how I do hope you all
came through the storm intact and no one was hurt or worse.
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.

senegal_jen

Post by senegal_jen »

2 power outages, but trees still upright. All is well at the Smelly house. Saw 2 trees punch holes in houses, and one of my neighborhood streets is still blocked, but relatively speaking, all is okay.

Hoping Kristin is okay. IIRC, she is just outside NYC in suburban NJ. I understand Bergen County got hit pretty hard. Hopefully she'll check in soon with a thumbs up sign...

Jen

Tom and Jada

Post by Tom and Jada »

We made it through ok. Got a little water in the basement, but no serious damage. The trees survived with only a couple of downed limbs in the yard.
Tom and Jada
Current project: Circa 1915 Georgian Colonial Revival
http://www.colonialrevivalrestoration.com

eclecticcottage

Post by eclecticcottage »

No damage here. A neighbor lost some shingles but that's about it. Power never even went out.

Lupin, we drove past you a few weeks back. We got a wild hair to drive around the lake one day, lol. Took the QEW past Toronto then hopped on the 2 most of the way after that.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)