Hurricane Sandy

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Sashguy

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Sashguy »

Looks as if tomorrow is cross the beach day. Board them up and best of luck.

jade mortimer

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post by jade mortimer »

the wind is really whipping up here in western massachusetts...we are prepared to loose electricity for a day or two...thank goodness it will be warm not like last year when we had TWO FEET of snow on halloween day!

batten down the hatches and stay safe everyone......
....jade

eclecticcottage

Post by eclecticcottage »

We're in the crosshairs for the winds. I've never seen predictions for wave heights like this up here. Gale force gusts up to 60 and waves building to 16-22 feet. I know for sure 22 feet will top our cliff. That's some scary stuff! This is our marine forcast: knotshttp://www.wunderground.com/MAR/LO/042.html

We're right on the lake shore, so I'm watching marine and regular forcasts. The wind is set to hit us heading directly at our sliding glass doors. Hoping no debris comes through them-they only started reporting anything to do with our area specifically, as well as wind direction (as far as I heard) this AM, so we really couldn't prepare with plywood or anything (not that we have a way of attaching it to them). We've got an anemometer (just a hobby grade, nothing pro level) so we should be able to keep an eye on wind speed right at our location. It's not down by the lake though, so it won't be reading the force of it when it comes ashore.

And of course it's all set to start right around 5pm. When a large number of people are starting the evening commute (like me). DH will be keeping en eye on things all day today since he works from home.

Everybody stay safe and I'll cross my fingers for no property damage for everyone here too.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)

triguy128

Post by triguy128 »

Crazy thought.... leave work early.

I would have put plywood over a sliding glass door. Get lots of towels ready. 60mph driving rain will run right through the door and most window seals, unless you have seperate storm windows to act as a rain break.

Best of luck. Hope it's not as bad as they are predicting.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows

Tom and Jada

Post by Tom and Jada »

The high winds are just now moving into Baltimore. Gusting to around 45 right now. Supposed to be about 45 sustained eventually with gusts up to about 70-75 this evening. We're staying on the first floor and in the basement until this thing is gone. The governor of MD just said for everyone to remain in place for at least the next 36 hrs. Now we're getting nervous about all the 100 ft plus oak trees that are all around us...
Tom and Jada
Current project: Circa 1915 Georgian Colonial Revival
http://www.colonialrevivalrestoration.com

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Fortunately most of your homes are old, were built properly and have weathered many storms. Personally, mine has weathered 36 of them and not the first problem.

kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Everyone is in my thoughts and prayers. Stay safe.

lupinfarm

Post by lupinfarm »

Its really windy here Just north of Belleville, Ontario. Winds are expected to get to 100klm/Hr winds around Toronto. Not to
worried about the house...its stood the test of time and many storms. Mostly worried about my Doggies in the doghouse as
it is not the best built building. I was out earlier taping 6ml plastic on the windows. Don't try this in 60klm/hour whilst up a step ladder. Its to say the very least challenging.
Stay safe everyone..hope you all come through the storm intact.
Attachments
013.JPG
013.JPG (235.98 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
putting the 18 back in my 1872 Victorian farmhouse.

eclecticcottage

Post by eclecticcottage »

Taped up the doors, no way to put ply on them.

This was the lake when I got home
Attachments
a23.JPG
a23.JPG (381.36 KiB) Viewed 4610 times
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)

CountryGirl

Post by CountryGirl »

Prayers for everyone in Sandy's path.

susan