dcsimg

Possible rental purchase. What home style is this??

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Possible rental purchase. What home style is this??

Postby Butterflyhigh on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:01 am

Hi everyone!
I am thinking about buying this home in Covington, KY as an investment property. It has had one owner since 1959 and looks to have much of the original woodwork, doors, trim, etc. I have an appointment today to view it. What can you tell me about this home from the pictures? What style of home is this??
Thanks!

Butterflyhigh

Re: Possible rental purchase. What home style is this??

Postby Butterflyhigh on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:10 am

Oops! Here is also a picture of the kitchen.

Butterflyhigh

Postby PowerMuffin on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:05 pm

I can't help you with the style, but it looks like it still has a lot of the original features and fixtures. It is a nice house that has great potential. I hope your renters will take good care of it!
Diane
PowerMuffin

Postby Butterflyhigh on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:24 pm

It was an adorable house. All original interior doors, trim, floors, and windows. Unfortunately based on the amount of money we would invest vs. the amount we could charge monthly it just was not a good fit.

However I am still really curious as to what house style this is. There are a lot of those little houses in the neighborhood. The 'hood was settled by German immigrants and the larges houses are predominately Italianate, Victorian, and Queen Ann. Is this an example of a simple, small Italianate?
Butterflyhigh

Postby Tom and Jada on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:00 pm

The facade has Italianate features. Guessing circa 1870s??
Tom and Jada
Current project: Circa 1915 Georgian Colonial Revival
http://www.colonialrevivalrestoration.com
Tom and Jada

Postby khwils on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:07 am

She's a beaut, love the windows in the eaves/facia area, never seen that before.

Kurt
khwils

Postby melissakd on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:52 pm

There are two styles happening here: the fireplace and front door are Craftsman in its earlier years, and the facade Italianate as mentioned. I'm charmed by the whim which placed such an up-and-coming style of door in a more classic facade. I wish I could see it with the eyes of the original owner. Overall I'd date it to 1890-1915.
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby triguy128 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:06 am

IF it was in my area, I'd put it jsut a little older. Maybe as early as 1870-1890,but not likely later than 1890. But being more of a "row home" makes it harder to date. I often look at the style of the brick. Older soft brick puts it before 1870. After than, harder massed produced brick was more common... at least where I am. In some areas, at the turn of the century, milled lumber became more popular and replaced brick in many cases for siding. You could get more equare footage for the same price using wood siding and stick frame construction.

IF it was 1910 or later, I'd expect to see maybe a dormer, larger windows.

On the flip side, the windows are 1 or 1. That means mass produced glass was available and fairly inexpensive.... unless the sashes have been replaced. Before 1880, 6 over 6 was more common, since smaller pieces of glass were less expensive.

Where I am, 1 over 1 is only seen on large luxury homes before 1880. Before 1860, all windows are divided here.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby jerry10 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Hello there,

I think rental properties come in a variety of configurations — the higher one’s budget is, the better space will be in terms of location or size, and also available amenities. They range from single family homes to high-end multi-bedroom apartments.

Rental homes meant for modest income groups are generally concentrated around the cheaper suburbs, while higher rentals occur in the classier areas of the city.

Thus, rental housing caters to the whole spectrum of incomes. As cities experience a higher inflow of migrated population, the suburbs and surrounding spaces must develop their rental housing capacities to meet the demand.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance
jerry10

Postby KennethKGidley on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:42 am

There are two styles occurring here: the chimney and front entryway are Craftsman in its prior years, and the exterior Italianate as specified. I'm enchanted by the impulse which put such a best in class style of entryway in a more exemplary veneer. I wish I could see it with the eyes of the first proprietor. By and large I'd date it to 1890-1915.
KennethKGidley

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum