Did a Christmas home tour...SAD!!

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

sundine2

Did a Christmas home tour...SAD!!

Post by sundine2 »

So some friends of ours took us on a tour of an area in Dayton Ohio called the MacPhereson Town ( I think). It is an area just off of 75 going south and close to the downtown area. I was so excited and the outsides of the homes were great with all kinds of colors...no two alike. Went inside about 10 homes and of course we had a tour guide for the whole area plus the home owners in each house. The first thing I noticed about all of the houses except for one was that they all had new windows in them. Now there were also two homes that were completely "rehabbed" which meant they were gutted to the studs. I understand some of this because there was a flood in the early 1900's that completely engulfed many of these homes and many still have mud in the walls and rafters from this. What I didn't understand is how someone can say " doesn't he do (contractor) great work when all he did was put up drywall , fake trim and stock doors plus fake looking wood flooring. The last house on our tour was the only one that still had the original windows and I got the feeling that if they had the money they would replace them too. So their idea of rehabbing is out with the old and get all new crap that looks like any NEW home but with old outside decor.

YUCK!!!

1880 Stick Victorian

Re: Did a Christmas home tour...SAD!!

Post by 1880 Stick Victorian »

sorry to hear it didn't turn as y ou had hoped.... who put this tour on? local historical society? how many were on a tour?

i signed us up for a home tour this next weekend sponsored by the Sonnenberg mansion/gardens... one church, 6 houses plus the mansion for $22 in advance and $25 at the door... I hope its a better experience than what you just had..

http://www.sonnenberg.org/store.asp?pid=32621
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880

JRC

Post by JRC »

Not too long ago, I was browsing homes for sale in Cleveland and Columbus, in neighborhoods known for thier historic architecture, to get ideas for my project house. Unfortunately, I found pretty much the same thing you did. On the outside, it was a stately old house. But on the inside, you were "timewarped" to 1990-2010. Here is a rather extreme example: http://www.cutlerhomes.com/p/259/3263580

Don M

Post by Don M »

Reminds me of a large version of TOH's Current Project. :evil:
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

1880 Stick Victorian

Post by 1880 Stick Victorian »

The holiday historic home tour we took on saturday in Canandaigua was nicer than i expected, the homes basically were from time periods of 1838 to 1887, with one from 1938 that was built to mimick a mid 1850s greek revival. Was surprised that all but one had all of their original windows, all but one were wood sided... all had painted over hinges...which i am thinking is just a pet peeve of mine. I found that all but one had a very vintage-esque kitchens... I would definitely go on another one...
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880

Don M

Post by Don M »

Some fine houses in that area; I attended Hobart College in Geneva, NY Class of 1970!
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

nezwick

Post by nezwick »

I did the "Victorian Christmas" house tour in the next town East this past weekend. There were only five houses on the tour, and all but one were really awesome.

"That" one though, was a 1903 brick house that had been converted back to a single family residence (was a tri-plex). It looked alright from the road but once I got up close, I started noticing all kinds of things that didn't belong. Replacement windows, front porch (incl. columns, railings, and decking) was made of coloured plastic composite stuff instead of painted wood, every wall/ceiling surface inside had been textured in a fan-like pattern... stuff like that.

And then... the entire third level had been converted into a 1990's-ceramic-tile-nightmare master suite. Complete with a master closet bigger than the largest bedroom in our house, a second walk-in closet just for the owner's shoes and purses, and a massive master bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and a shower alcove the size of a small bedroom. Some of the people on the tour were marvelling over the master suite, but I was probably cringing and shaking my head the whole time.

That wasn't what I expected to see in a house in the Historic District. The rest of the homes were really awesome though.
The McCullough/Simkins house, built 1872-1877:
Progress thread on Old House Web

Don M

Post by Don M »

Well that's too bad but maybe the house was so badly damaged that there were no historic details left after being a triplex. When we were looking for an historic farm 13 years ago we saw a beautiful stone farm house (from the out side) that had been totally gutted inside & had all the typical McMansion features like a two story entry etc. It was really split up & had several stairways to get to various rooms which were not connected otherwise; just crazy. The big walk-in kitchen fireplace was in a side hall & made it unusable! :evil:
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

nezwick

Post by nezwick »

Yeah, I've got to give the owners a little bit of slack there since it had been apartments since the 1950s I think. But still. I guess it's just me, but if we were a wealthy couple looking to purchase and renovate a house in a Historic District (the district is on the National Register, and some individual houses are independently registered as well), you better believe we'd be doing a highly sensitive/accurate restoration. The work appeared to be done very well, it just didn't fit in, in a 1903 Victorian house.

By the way, this was one of the homes on the tour (it's currently for sale for $245,000). It had a few modern things and needed some paint touchup here and there, but it's really nice. New windows and back door too, ugh.

http://www.powellrealestateonline.com/g ... victorian/

Another thing I noticed about all these houses, is they all had really creaky hardwood floors. One more reason to love my beat up, though nearly-silent wide heart pine floors.
The McCullough/Simkins house, built 1872-1877:
Progress thread on Old House Web