2012 Accomplishments

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

lisascenic

2012 Accomplishments

Post by lisascenic »

What did we get done in 2012?

After our contractors ripped off our old-growth redwood siding WITHOUT OUR PERMISSION, we had quite a project locating more period lumber, stripping it, and residing the house. We finally finished this project this year.

We got about half of the house painted. We think we'll save our pennies, and pay someone else to paint those rafter tails.

We designed and built some fencing. (Need to finish this project...)

W built a chicken coop out of the remainder of our reclaimed siding. Now we have to finish fencing in the vegetable garden.

We started repainting the bathroom. It' a mess at the moment, so I won't share pictures.

We continued work on the garden, started hosting beehives at some neighbors' houses, and made a huge amount of jam from our backyard trees.

CountryGirl

Re: 2012 Accomplishments

Post by CountryGirl »

You have done a lot this year, wish I could say the same. I love your fence and what a stylish
chicken coop. :D Thanks for sharing :)

Susan

lisascenic

Post by lisascenic »

Gosh, thanks. I feel like a total slacker, and wish we'd gotten more done.

steponmebbbboom

Post by steponmebbbboom »

Great thread idea.
I built a front driveway (excavated two feet, laid 2" clear substrate and 3/4 crusher run for top layer, cobblestone on top) built rear two-car driveway and converted rear fence to a gate, salvaged retaining wall brick to bring the driveway into the yard level, rewired my basement to increase the number of lighting fixtures from one to six, replaced my front door with a period-appropriate one and weatherstripped it in spring-bronze, changed several light fixtures (who doesn't their first year), started collecting period-correct plumbing fixtures for my bathroom restorations. Some paint stripping on the front porch, bought a pre-packaged security camera system and sourced special cable to run a few cameras to the detached garage, started collecting underground cable and electrical fittings to run a new 100A service to the garage. Did my first salvage job on a farmhouse and picked up a 24" plaster ceiling medallion and 400 sq ft of tin ceiling with crown mouldings and corner pieces for the kitchen. Restored a few pieces of period furniture and corrected a massive draft in the master bedroom around a shoddy vinyl window installation. Ran an intake pipe for the furnace that had never been installed and was setting off the pressure switches and shutting off the furnace randomly. Repointed gaping holes in the brick mortar temporarily while gathering material and scaffolding for a complete black mortar tuckpoint of the house sometime in the future. Gathered material for front porch restoration including 2x10 pine barnboard floor and custom-milled 80 yr old cedar handrailing.

2013: I will be happy if I get the front porch restored, security cameras installed and garage rewired. But it would be nice to strike a deal to salvage enough strip hardwood to restore all the floors in my house which were lost during a birdbrained remodel.
Mainwaring House 1911
Image "What do you mean you don't replace telephone poles that are dirty and scratched?"

lisascenic

Post by lisascenic »

Dang! I'm tired from just reading about what you did. Very impressive!

mjt

Post by mjt »

I took the second half of the year off from projects, but ...
  • New carriage house garage doors to replace the rotted ones
    Re-wired the living room
    Painted the living room, dining room, foyer, main staircase, and upper landing; millwork, walls, and ceilings
    (Re- or) installed sconces and chandeliers in the above
    Still more landscaping
    Converted 3 of 5 fireplaces to gas inserts
The 2013 list isn't long, yet. I'm sure a million little things will come up that will need my attention:
  • Rehab entry doors and screens
    Scrape, sand, and paint carriage house window exteriors
    Gut and remodel attic

sooth

Post by sooth »

This post, as well as having gone through some old photos got me in the mood to make a list of what I got done on my house this year. I've posted this list along with more info and details on my blog (link in signature).

2012 Recap
Note: the items in the list are not necessarily in order, but close to it.

- Patched t-g floors in the "L Room" (mainly around both floor registers).
- Installed the new mouldings around the upstairs built-in and doorways, painted them, and finished painting the upstairs hallway.
- Found & installed shades for the Office light fixture.
- Scraped and repaired (patched/screwed) the entire surface of the ceiling in the "L Room".
- Put-up the drywall on the new closets upstairs (ones between the "L Room" and Guest Bedroom).
- Rebuilt the ductwork in the Master Bedroom (the cold air returns).
- Finished painting the interior of the Master Bedroom closet.
- Rebuilt all 5 drywall stacks on the main floor (the duct work ones - I still have the plumbing one to redo).
- Pulled-up the laminate and exposed the birch floors in the Living Room, Office, and Dining Room.
- Demolished the "power room" in the basement.
- Finished rebuilding and air-sealing the rest of the duct work for the entire house (with the exception of one trunk for the Office).
- Removed the built-in "wall bookcase" in the "L Room" & patched/drywalled it.
- Rebuilt the attic door.
- Removed the existing Office built-in, constructed a new one, and installed it.
- Made and installed the transition for the bathroom floor (tile to wood).
- Reinstalled the arch casings in the dining room.
- Installed the antique mirror (after strengthening the backing) in the bathroom.
- Installed the casings in the "L Room".
- Bought, antiqued, and installed the canopy for the main hallway light fixture. I also bought the missing parts for the MB ones.
- Restored my original house numbers.
- Painted the Master Bedroom and upstairs hallway floors.
- Bought a new mattress, and moved my furniture into the Master Bedroom.
- Removed the aluminum siding on the porch, then rebuilt the original tongue and groove v-groove siding.
- Replaced the porch floor "end boards".
- Built a custom vanity for the bathroom (started in June).
- Started building a huge storage hutch for the garage/shop.
- Completely dismantled, rebuilt, patched, and modified a salvaged door for the porch.
- Built a custom window insert for the porch door.
- Installed the porch door.
- Repainted the porch exterior (minus the windows & lattice).
- Built doors for the mini access door in the Office (the one in the drywall duct stack), the linen closet, and the Office built-in.
- Bought fabric for the MB curtains.
- Repaired, restored, and repainted the antique cupboard in the garage/shop.
- Bought and installed some large photo frames for the front hallway.
- Rebuilt the bulkhead over the main staircase to gain some much needed head space.
- Installed, caulked and painted crown moulding in the main hallway and Dining Room.
- Gutted the bottom of the main staircase and reinforced the floor from the basement.
- Modified the plumbing, and installed the bathroom vanity.
- Installed the linen closet and Office built-in doors.
- Rewired and finished repairing the "L Room" light fixture.
- Finished restoring the gramophone cabinet.
- Patched and repaired the ceiling boards in the Office and Living Room.
- Finished the baseboards in the "L Room".
- Repaired a huge chunk of water damaged wall in the "L Room".
- Finished repaiting/patching the windows in the "L Room".
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/

eclecticcottage

Post by eclecticcottage »

Pics of our progress can be seen on my blog (link in sig) so as not to clutter the thread.

We:
scraped and recaulked and repainted the window trim on the outside, still need to redo the insides (we have aluminum storms), so probably will need reglazing as well as paint
found, reclaimed, cleaned and installed what was garage sheathing as flooring in the living room.
finished more of the T&G ceiling in the living room
added ceiling fans to the living room
ripped everything out of the bedroom down to the studs, rewired, reinsulated, paneled, painted the floors and built closets (still need doors)
ripped out the carpet in the hall, found rotten flooring under it, ripped out all the wood flooring and replaced it with reclaimed hayloft flooring
cut an access panel in the hall for the tub/shower plumbing in the hall so as to fix the leak that caused the rotted floor
replaced the ceiling light in the hall, moving it from off center to centered, put T&G on the ceiling
put up bead board in the hall
painted the hall
rewired the dining room
added bead board to the dining room
painted the dining room
ripped out a layer of vinyl and layer of lino in the kitchen and dining room, planed and sanded the wood flooring below and coated with linseed oil
replaced the kenmore fridge with a 1950's norge
replaced the hotpoint stove with a 1950's floyd wells bengal stove
found and cleaned up a 4c kitchenaid to match the stove and fridge
tore out the tile backsplash and rewired the kitchen, replaced the backsplash with brick panels, replaced the old pull chain lights with new "old style" semi-flush versions
rewired the porch light, replaced it with a new one
found, painted the chairs for the dining room table
did some wiring in the bathroom, still need that finished

I probably forgot some things, and we also scrounged, cut, split and stacked about 10 cords of firewood. I also did a lot of work on the gardens.

2013 will include patching and painting the siding, finishing the ceiling in the living room, and minor finish woork inside like thresholds. Also rebuilding a small addition that will then house the washer and dryer, which are presently in the living room (the hookups were there before, there used to be a "closet" there where they went-we had to tear it out when we rebuilt the floor structure). Also possibly rebuilding our shed into a servicable workshop, and cutting, splitting and stacking at least another 10 cord of firewood. Also patching the roof, which we will eventually replace with standing seam metal whenw e have the $$. And reinstalling the "cone" fireplace in the sunroom. And learning to graft so we can keep our apple tree going (it's an oldie, probably at least 75-100 years old)-it's right near the edge of our cliff and eventually erosion will claim it, so we're going to graft it onto some rootstock and replaint the new tree back further.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)

nezwick

Post by nezwick »

Wow, I am very envious of everybody's accomplishments. I wish I had just 1/4 of the time/energy you guys must have to work on your houses!

Here's my list of things I got done in 2012. Some of them I posted on my OHW worklog, some I don't think I ever did.

- Removed carpet from stairs
- Painted staircase and "old half" of front foyer
- Skim coated, sanded, and painted upstairs hall/landing
- Obtained the 1940 census and a book on the history of my town; learned a lot
- Tore up carpets and layers of flooring from the office, dining room, cats' bedroom, and upstairs landing. Discovered heart pine floors that are going to be gorgeous when refinished.
- Scraped nasty dirt and debris from between the gaps in the flooring.
- Carefully removed the original pine flooring from the dining room closet so I could use it to patch the dining room floor.
- Replaced dining room closet floor with some old salvaged flooring
- Removed ugly faux beams from living room ceiling
- Scraped wallpaper from dining room
- Skim coated dining room walls
- Tore down chain link fence from back yard, this almost doubled our parking space
- Tore up or cut down probably 20 shrubs, including ALL of the ugly overgrown hedges
- Planted and maintained a great vegetable garden
- Tore up indoor/outdoor carpet from back steps and patio
- Repaired plaster and skim coated "new half" of front foyer
- Repaired plaster and skim coated dining room
- Refurbished dining room closet door, re-framed opening, and re-hung everything.
- Picked up that massive armoire for the front foyer
- Stripped paint from tons of cast iron door hardware
- Refurbished a bunch of rim locks
- Removed ugly plastic window header casings from the exterior
- Sanded and mostly primed dining room
- Removed dining room drop ceiling
- Several wiring/plumbing projects
- Purchased a gasoline generator and wired it into the panel
- Purchased a new refrigerator and dishwasher
- Tore up layers of flooring from the kitchen to reveal the original flooring
- Complained A LOT about not being able to finish any projects I started

Also acquired the following salvage:
- 8 doors with hardware from a farmhouse in Tionesta, PA
- Misc. baseboard and trim from a simple working class house in Shippenville, PA
- A few late-20s early-30s window sash from someone's enclosed front porch here in Corsica
- Two cases of un-touched 16x30 local window glass from the Brookville Glass Co. - definitely the most valuable of everything
- 17 doors with hardware, countless windows, some light fixtures, and other misc. things from a farmhouse in York, PA
The McCullough/Simkins house, built 1872-1877:
Progress thread on Old House Web

1880 Stick Victorian

Post by 1880 Stick Victorian »

reading what everyone has done... i wished people had posted more pictures of their projects both big and small...
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880