Help identifying oil lamp part...

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

Help identifying oil lamp part...

Postby CycloneOfRed » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi All,

Haven't posted in a bit, but I assure you I've been lurking about the whole time.

I've come to seek advice on a oil lamp part I recently purchased...what I thought was a wall sconce but upon its arrival I'm wondering if maybe its the arm of an oil lamp chandelier. Here's a picture (sorry I couldn't get the whole thing to fit, but you can see all the important parts):

The two things that are throwing me off are 1) the mount (where you mount it to the wall assuming it is a wall mount type) is on the upper portion of the hinge, not the lower. None of the brackets I have fit this hinge. Maybe this means I just don't have the right bracket, or maybe none fit because it only matches up with the rest of a chandelier.

2) the part that sticks out on top has me all befuddled. I assumed from the pictures that this was to hold a mercury reflector, but I don't know how one would connect a mercury reflector to this appendage and, furthermore, if I could find a way to attach it, the placement would be almost directly on top of the burner, not behind it. The only other thing I could think of is perhaps a smoke bell would have hung from this (but then it wouldn't hang directly over the chimney either)? Also, it pivots from a 90 degree angle (pictured) to vertical.

So, does anyone know what this thing is, and how it all works?

Thanks!
Kevin
Laws of Home Repair:
1) It will be more difficult than you think.
2) It will take much longer than you think.
3) Murphy's Law is in effect tenfold.

CycloneOfRed

Re: Help identifying oil lamp part...

Postby GothicHome » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:08 pm

I'm thinking you have one arm of a multi arm chandelier. The picture does not show the bowle for the faunt. The two ended pin end would fit into a central body the extended mount at the top of the pic may have housed another faunt bracket or at one time had an extension that would hold the smoke bell. I don't think it is a Bradley and Hubbard unit though.
GothicHome

Re: Help identifying oil lamp part...

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:07 pm

i believe the top piece may be for the mercury glass reflector....see below

http://www.antiquelampsupply.com/product/197
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Return to General Discussions Forum