What's happened to our board?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Lynners

Re: What's happened to our board?

Post by Lynners »

I'm fairly certain others have tried to contact the owners of the site with no results.
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com

StarryNight

Post by StarryNight »

Maybe if the owners don't want to deal with the spam, they can at least pass the site on to someone else who will maintain it? What a shame... so much info and so many great people here.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Hell, they won't even back Shag when he tries to deal with it. I think they are truly out to lunch.
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/

PowerMuffin

Post by PowerMuffin »

Oh this makes me so sad/mad!!! I love this forum - it has given me a much better concept of old-house ownership and helped me through problems.
Diane

steponmebbbboom

Post by steponmebbbboom »

The owners could solve this problem with a couple of mouseclicks, it's not that hard to manage permissions.
Mainwaring House 1911
Image "What do you mean you don't replace telephone poles that are dirty and scratched?"

pqtex

Post by pqtex »

steponmebbbboom wrote:The owners could solve this problem with a couple of mouseclicks, it's not that hard to manage permissions.
That may be true, but unfortunately, that only works if the owners are responsive to the moderators who have tried to contact them about the spammer problem. It doesn't seem that the owners who are around enough to figure out there is a problem or apparently not interested enough to take care of it.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org

Kansas. 1911.

Post by Kansas. 1911. »

ok, I'm officially ready to move over to wavy glass also. I love this forum and will continue to check in periodically.

boo, hiss, to the spammers.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage

ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

The problem is that the "spammers" are actually bots that create these accounts automatically. There's not a whole lot you can do to block them, unless you can enable some sort of system (like a CAPTCHA or something else) that requires a human to answer. I work in IT for a living and maintain a number of servers, and I see this type of stuff happening with wikis and other such "socially used" services.

bofusmosby

Post by bofusmosby »

Either the owners of this site need to get their butts in gear and take care of this, or this place will cease to exist! That being said, all they have to do is to give someone here the authority to correctly run this place. What is their problem????? I serve as an Administrator on another site, and it takes a bit of "hands-on" work, but other than giving someone here the authority to do this work, they do NOT have to do anything more than they are doing now.......meaning nothing! It is a shame that all the hard work, all the important info that has been posted will e lost! This will also coast the owners $, because how do they expect to get paid by sponsors if there is no one here?
Jim

Well, there goes the neighborhood!

HappyInHartwood

Post by HappyInHartwood »

I came over to see the post about the kit house, and I will poke around while I'm here. If I have anything to say, I will say it on the other site.

What we all have to remember is that the forums are a small portion of this site, and that the ad revenue generated by all the other tabs at the top of this page are what the site is all about now. The forum and its remaining users are only important to the other users and to the mods who are doing the best they can to keep it up for us.
Connie
1848 Gothic Revival
http://www.hartwoodroses.blogspot.com
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.