it's too damn cold!

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

barrett

it's too damn cold!

Post by barrett »

Anybody else have frozen pipes or no heat? Right now it is 2 below zero here, the windchill is negative 13.

I have hot water baseboard heat, and somewhere INSIDE the house a pipe froze, so we have heat in the kitchen, pantry, and sunporch- but not in the bedroom, bathroom, or living room. The furnace guy couldn't even figure out where it was frozen after an hour of trying! What makes it even worse is that we replaced our 30 year old furnace a month ago so we'd have a warmer house... oh the irony.
"so you'll walk the floor
from door to door"

('mental revenge', waylon jennings)

1880 Stick Victorian

Re: it's too damn cold!

Post by 1880 Stick Victorian »

i heard on the news tonight that VT has three of the four coldest places in the country.... damn!! We are down to zero but no wind...thank god.. i am a little confused...you mentioned you have hot water baseboard heat...so i am assuming you have a boiler in the basement? you mentioned furnace.. two heating systems? are any of your water supply lines/pipes hidden in the walls?

Most of our water lines going to the second story are visible through the house except for one supply line that is in the wall..which always makes me nervous...especially if we lose power during a cold snap like what we have now..
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880

McCall

Post by McCall »

7 degrees here on the Cape today, and pretty breezy.
The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference!

Lynners

Post by Lynners »

We were -33 Celcius with the windchill yesterday, this morning wasn't much better at -30!
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com

barrett

Post by barrett »

We have boiler, I don't know why I always say furnace. All of the pipes are outside of the walls. Which is why the heating guy and I are so puzzled. He even checked everything in the basement, which is pretty warm.
from door to door"

eclecticcottage

Post by eclecticcottage »

11 F right now, coldest we got was 8 F without the windchill. We heat with wood, using a stove rated for 2x the size of the place and it's in the 70's in here. Our Old House was impossible to keep warm and we had to leave the faucet in the tub running a little to keep the water from freezing.

I am guessing you have multiple zones and a feeder line froze? Could it be a return line, where the water temps are colder maybe? Where do your feed and return lines run to get from the baseboards to the boiler? Can you put a space heater or torpedo heater in the basement to get temps down there up high? When our pipes froze under our old house (crawl space) we'd put a torpedo at the access door (outside, we were on pillars so it was up about 3' high) and get it up to about 90 under there, thawed the pipes out every time.
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)

Don M

Post by Don M »

It has been darn cold here in PA too but we are now above freezing for the first time in a week! We had no frozen pipes just frozen water buckets in the horse stalls morning & night. Fortunately our tack room is heated so the buckets defrost enought to dump out the ice!
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

barrett

Post by barrett »

It got up to 34 today, and the pipes thawed out, so we finally have heat! Great since it's going to be 50 tomorrow...
from door to door"

Don M

Post by Don M »

Yeah but it's going to be cold the day after! :wink:
1840 Limestone Farmhouse