Victorian Paint Schemes

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: TinaB, Don M, Schag, oldhouse

Victorian Paint Schemes

Postby mrcaddy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:51 pm

I don't have a way to post a picture just yet, but I will. I know that will help. We painted our house, built in the neighborhood of 1900, 11 years ago. It is due again. Before we can get approved for a re-finance it needs to be done. Unfortunately and ironically in order to paint it we need the money that the re-finance would provide. It's a mess, but that's another issue.
What I want to ask is, what colors are best? I know that's a broad question. It is only a 1-1/2 story house. Currently it is white (body), blue (trim), maroon (trim accent), tan (scallops). I'm thinking it's too cold looking, although I like it, and time to warm it up, but I also wonder if darker colors on the body would make it look too small.
What do you think? What is a good source for proper, historical colors? Thanks,Scott
mrcaddy

Re: Victorian Paint Schemes

Postby GothicHome » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:48 pm

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/wcm/idc ... torian.pdf

Mrcaddy, I refer to this site for historic reference. The colour combo used to be more extensive at one time though. I believe the other paint companies have a similar historical paint schemes. I know there are specialty paint companies that also have colour combo's on the web. Just have to sort through them. The more you look the more indisicive you will get. At least that was my experience. Some one will correct me but, at the time white paint was for fences and never on the Victorian house.
GothicHome

Postby barrett » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:17 pm

Do a search for "painted ladies". Some cool, crazy paint schemes out there!
"so you'll walk the floor
from door to door"

('mental revenge', waylon jennings)
barrett

Postby mrcaddy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:01 am

2013-01-26_13-49-11_669.jpg
2013-01-26_13-49-11_669.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 1767 times
Here is a recent picture of the house I am talking about. Also, what style is it, really? Folk Victorian?
mrcaddy

Postby Sombreuil_Mongrel » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:26 am

Hip-roofed Queen Anne cottage/corner house
Casey
Sombreuil_Mongrel

Postby mrcaddy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Thank you so very much!! I think that is exactly what it is. I've been wondering what to call this place since we bought it in 2001. This solves the mystery. Do you think it's rare? I've never seen another one like it? It is rather unusual.
mrcaddy

Postby Sombreuil_Mongrel » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi It's a bit bigger than usual, most were 5 or 6 rooms, and didn't have a dedicated corner entrance. I saw many of these while I lived in Arkansas, and it has been one of my favorite types, esp. one with a fireplace in every room and 12 ft. ceilings. Every town in Arkansas has a "passel" of these homes.
Casey
Sombreuil_Mongrel

Postby mrcaddy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:10 am

This one was originally 6 rooms if you count the mudroom, now laundry room. The bathroom wasn't originally a bathroom when the house was new. The interesting thing, to me, is that every room has or had no less than 3 door ways and the Living Room has 4. Placing furniture is tricky! It's a very unique house and I like it, but we really can't afford to maintain it properly anymore so we need to sell it. It hasn't sold and so we are trying to re-finance, but that may well be a dead-end, too.
Anyway, currently it has 4 colors. Too many? What would be good colors for this? Thanks, Scott
mrcaddy

Postby Old_House_Jim » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:32 pm

Why play with modern less-than-perfect interpretations - go to the source. Roger Moss is the best in the historic house color field.

Get his book:

http://www.amazon.com/Victorian-Exterio ... 0805023135

The book has everything you need to know along with great lists of color choices that are all historical. Its amazing, when you see the authentic colors laid out, how colorful and exciting they are.

Modern colors are too clowninsh. Painted Lady colors are not historically correct - Lovely as modern eyes see them, they are the result of hippies living in dilapidated San Francisco row houses with a lot of psychedelic paint colors and too many hallucinated hours on their hands.

I would, however, recommend a color pallet that takes into account the massive roof you have - all that black will surely influence your selections. and don't err too light trying to "balance" the dark - it will just end up looking unbalanced. I keep seeing a buff or fawn color with dark green trim (see "tiffany green" or "rookwood green", both SW colors)

Best of luck
Old_House_Jim

Postby Sashguy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:03 pm

Or, you can really go for the gusto and paint it in it's original colors. In the corners, where sand paper will not reach, scrape down to the base layer of paint. Do this on the body, all trim and windows. The easy way to use a heat gun, but careful not to start a fire.
Sashguy

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum