Enamel over cast iron kitchen sink (and some house info)

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

mickimause

Enamel over cast iron kitchen sink (and some house info)

Post by mickimause »

Hi all - been gone quite a long time from the boards, mostly because nothing was being done in the house.

We got the upstairs bathroom finished, and are working on the kitchen. I have an old farmhouse sink - the kind that sat on top of a metal cabinet, I think. Single basin, double drainboards. 60" long, 22" front to back; basin is 21" wide x 17" front to back x 6" deep; 10" high backsplash with holes for a wall-mount bridge faucet (8" center). I cannot remember how to post pictures on here - I'll get a link to my photobucket account up as soon as I get more kitchen pictures posted. :oops:

My question - there are markings on the bottom of the sink, similar to cast markings on an engine block. I haven't had any luck googling identification information. I don't know that it's important, I'm just curious. Anyway - the markings.

There's a large diamond shape that encompasses a capital "i" (sorry, the lower case L and capital i look the same to me); a large 3, the numbers 5203, and what appears to be a date - 3 28 (or 23) 30 (or 38). I tried to take a rub of them, like you would with a grave marker or engine block, and that's the best I can decipher them. I'm not sure if they're cast into the sink, or if they were attached later - on the '5203' and the date, there appear to be rivets holding plates, but not on the diamond or the large 3. I wish I could take and post a picture, but I tried and it came out awful :(

Any ideas? or can someone direct me to a place to find information? Like I said, it's mere curiosity.

About the house: built in the 1870s sometime, it's nothing spectacular as far as old houses go (not Victorian, or Craftsman, or Four Square, that I know of), just an old house on land that used to have apple orchards. I like the character of the house, but am not trying to do anything spectacularly authentic with it. Wood floors - downstairs except the kitchen are 3 1/2" oak; stairs are hand scraped oak; upstairs is 3 1/2" red pine; kitchen is 1 1/2" maple. Most of the walls are plaster over some type of fire board, reinforced with wire mesh. Upstairs bath was remodeled completely last year - it now has porcelain tile floor and a shower in addition to the vanity/sink and toilet. Kitchen is in the works - custom cherry cabinets, refinished maple floor (the linoleum was beyond hideous, and there were two layers), stainless appliances, satin nickel hardware and fixtures, including the aforementioned bridge faucet, granite countertops, stone/metal/glass mosaic tile backsplash and a tin ceiling. Downstairs bath is next, I think :D

Thanks in advance for help on the sink ID!
Attachments
shot of the sink - prior to purchase
shot of the sink - prior to purchase
100MEDIA_IMAG0165.jpg (33.85 KiB) Viewed 15340 times
Little white house in the country...
http://s497.beta.photobucket.com/user/m ... rary/House

pqtex

Re: Enamel over cast iron kitchen sink (and some house info)

Post by pqtex »

I'm no help, but I LOVE that sink! I would really like to find one like that (or similar) for my kitchen. I have a double sink/double drainboard over metal cabinets in my pantry/laundry room, but something like this would look fantastic in my kitchen. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Jill
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org

mickimause

Post by mickimause »

Thanks, Jill!

Got it into the kitchen last night, just sitting on top of the cabinet for now. I'm a little irked - the sink base isn't centered like it's supposed to be (didn't register until we moved that behemoth of a sink in) so I'm trying to figure some stuff out. The granite guy will be here in a couple of hours to template. I'm really tired of washing dishes in the bathroom sink!! :roll:

Here's a link to my photobucket album - it's a work in progress! http://s497.beta.photobucket.com/user/m ... ry/Kitchen

Sashguy

Post by Sashguy »

Jill,

If you would like a sink like that, you are welcome to have it. It needs a new finish and some minor work, but the price is right. The next time that you are over here, stop by my shop and it's yours, although, it's one heavy mutha. Sorry about the picture quality but it's already dark here.

George
Attachments
sink.JPG
sink.JPG (79.17 KiB) Viewed 15276 times

pqtex

Post by pqtex »

thanks, George. That is so nice of you, but try to find another home for it. I have a roomy kitchen with a long counter, and really like the double drainboard. I actually want a sink that is really deep to accommodate canners and tall stock pots. The right thing will come along when I'm ready for it! fingers crossed... :)
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org

Don M

Post by Don M »

Your kitchen is coming along beautifully; what did you decide about centering the sink? Be sure to post pictures once the countertops are installed.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

mickimause

Post by mickimause »

Will do. Countertops are tentatively scheduled for installation on the 5th. We're going to see about opening the window up to center the sink, rather than try to re-make the cabinet and re-fabricate the countertops.

The plumbing is becoming a nightmare, as well...but I think I rather expected that, what with the way everything else has gone.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Restructuring the wall is probably the best idea & a larger opening into the other room might be even better as well. Good luck with the plumbing too!
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

mickimause

Post by mickimause »

Thanks for the input, Don - it's appreciated!!

mickimause

Post by mickimause »

http://s497.photobucket.com/user/mickim ... %20kitchen

I have more pictures up - hopefully that link goes directly to a slide show of the kitchen.

Granite is in, sink installed & hooked up, hope to work on opening the window up this weekend. Then, paint, backsplash, ceiling and over-sink light, and we might be able to call it finished!