Need help with living room lights

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Need help with living room lights

Postby skubaman on Mon May 20, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi, I need to tell the electrician asap what I want to do in the living room. Right now there are opening for wall lights, but anyway we are replacing entire wiring of the house. I don't like how the wall light is right in the middle of the wall, making it difficult to decorate the walls in an evenly fashion.

Main couch is going on that big wall to right of fireplace. TV is going on the wall to left of fireplace, probably angled, just like the FP is angled.

I am thinking about getting rid of all sconces, putting a flush ceiling light with a dimmer, and have a couple of floor/table lamps to set the mood. I don't want recessed lights.

What do you think? Any ideas?

here is a link to the living rooms pictures...I did also consider having 2 sconces flanking the fireplace, or flanking the couch...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g398gsy76fibr4s/5nw1R7ca9x

Thanks
skubaman

Re: Need help with living room lights

Postby Don M on Thu May 30, 2013 3:15 pm

I see your problem with the wall sconces; but I'm not a fan of ceiling lights in living rooms. The sconces on either side of the fireplace make sense. How about installing some switch controlled outlets & using floor or table lamps as you suggest? My living room has outlets along the walls where one outlet in each duplex is switch controlled. Flip the switch & 3-4 table & floor lamps come on lighting the room nicely. BTW I only like ceiling lights in the dining room, hall ways, & kitchen; in other rooms they just make the rooms seem too stark & bright.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby jennymathew on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:30 pm

Using light in a creative way can make a big difference to anything, be it an object or an area. Proper arrangements of lights are always required in rooms. I thinks its good idea to use ceiling lights. They are simple, functional and goes with any decor. They are there in the background, creating an ambiance for the room in style.
jennymathew

Postby watsonmoore on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:08 am

Light up three of the four corners, focusing one of those lights on an object (art, a plant, a striking chair). Use a combination of table lamps and floor lamps, some with a downward glow and some that shine upward. Allow for reading in as many seats as possible with down-glowing lamps on three-way switches. If you have an overhead fixture, put it on a dimmer.
watsonmoore

Postby Nancy W on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:02 pm

I agree with Don M. My living room does not have an overheard light, but table and floor lamps. Ceiling lights in a living room seem to provide light in the wrong direction/places. At least have a dimmer on it and have lots of wall outlets for lamps and several outlets on switches.
Nancy
Lower Brambly circa 1895
"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Nancy W

Postby viktorokiro on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 am

But I think ceiling lights are amazing they give you light in full room, not fixed in the small area like in lamps.
viktorokiro

Postby marksmith on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi,
I agree with you, I like the idea of ceiling lights.
Thanks!!
marksmith

Postby amyburgess on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:48 am

I can see the ceiling lamps, the scattering of small lamps, which makes the ceiling look like a starry sky
We offer you college essay help online from qualified authors
amyburgess

Return to General Discussions Forum