New names, New Homes

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

KathyJB

New names, New Homes

Post by KathyJB »

I haven't been here in probably a year or so. I see lot's of new people and love seeing their homes. Still, I wonder about Banner and a few of the others I met around 6 years ago, or was it 7? I speak to a few on facebook pretty regularly. :D

KathyJB

Re: New names, New Homes

Post by KathyJB »

Hey you! I'll walk on over that way.

Mrs._d

Re: New names, New Homes

Post by Mrs._d »

Hello KathyJB. I miss you. How are you doing? I haven't been here for a long time either. I decided it is time to return, meet some new friends, and glad I saw your name.

I've taken up the art of long arm quilting and found out I'm really graceful at it. I'm having a wonderful time--retirement is wonderful--everyday is Saturday.

My studio is finally finished, and I have photos!!! The studio is the second floor of a two-story new double garage, woodworking shop. DH Jon built the garage/wwshop/studio to look like an old grain elevator. It sits half way between the old barn and our Queen Anne. It's a charming addition to the property. Looks like its always been here.

Our Queen Anne turned 120 this year. I finished the long hallway upstairs (repaired walls, installed new ceiling, old looking light fixtures, re-installed pciture rail, and hung up all the old photos, education certificates, and land patents from the two previous owners along the 28ft. length of hallway. It is so satisfying seeing it done. I had lots of fun doing research of our old house, and its previous owners.

Current project: I'm in the 12' x 12' foyer now, repairing walls and ceiling. I'm on the scaffold again, repairing walls in the stairwell too. Dirty work, but almost done. I think I'll wait until spring to prime and paint.

The only room still needing repair is the downstairs bathroom. I purchased subway tile this summer. The downstairs bath was formerly the kitchen pantry. According to family records the previous owner installed the bathroom in time for a family wedding and company November 10, 1945. The mother of the bride Ruth--her birthday was November 10. And guess what? My birthday is November 10th. I tell you, this is a long long list of coincidences we've discovered since acquiring and restoring our old Victorian.

Hope to hear from you KathyJB.

Sincerely,
Mrs. D
The Wrolstad-Quien House 1893
http://www.1893victorianfarmhouse.blogspot.com/

Mrs. D
"Move forward and do what you have to do"