Need advice on old landline phone system in USA

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

morganalouise

Need advice on old landline phone system in USA

Post by morganalouise »

I have an old house (built around 1890 or so) and I have two old hardwired phones. I recently lost my phone service. When people try to call is rings as busy but I am not on the phone. The telephone company checked the outside lines and says it shows that a phone is off the hook. I have checked all phones and nothing is off the hook. They then said to unplug all phones for a while then plug back in which I have done with everything but the old phones and still no dial tone just static. I think my only option now is to uninstall the old phones as I can not unplug them. Has anyone else had this happen and know of a solution?
Also this all happened after a robocall called us and it seemed like the call did not ever hang up though we have tried to hang up phones.
I have to do this myself as I can not afford to hire anyone. So thanks in advance for any help.

yotty78

Re: Need advice on old landline phone system in USA

Post by yotty78 »

morganalouise wrote:I have an old house (built around 1890 or so) and I have two old hardwired phones. I recently lost my phone service. When people try to call is rings as busy but I am not on the phone. The telephone company checked the outside lines and says it shows that a phone is off the hook. I have checked all phones and nothing is off the hook. They then said to unplug all phones for a while then plug back in which I have done with everything but the old phones and still no dial tone just static. I think my only option now is to uninstall the old phones as I can not unplug them. Has anyone else had this happen and know of a solution?
Also this all happened after a robocall called us and it seemed like the call did not ever hang up though we have tried to hang up phones.
I have to do this myself as I can not afford to hire anyone. So thanks in advance for any help.
Maybe your phone connection is connected with another line or something?
Better to contact and take help from your phone provider
Trying to shed some extra pounds, going for phenq fat burner hopefully it will help me lose belly fat.

irishmistgal

Re: Need advice on old landline phone system in USA

Post by irishmistgal »

Have the phone company run a new line inside your house. There is already one TO your house. Ask them to replace ONE MAIN LINE. Disconnect the others. I have also seen this happen with just a bad phone. LIke the cordless ones that sit in the cradle wrong.