dcsimg

refinish exterior door

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

refinish exterior door

Postby macwnj on Thu May 11, 2017 3:26 pm

house front.jpg
house front.jpg (117.15 KiB) Viewed 7143 times
front door.jpg
front door.jpg (50 KiB) Viewed 7143 times
The front door of my 1951 cape is varnished wood, with a fan window in the top panel. The varnish is "alligatored," and has turned almost black near the latch edge and in the lower panels. I went at it with some steel wool, and smoothed out most of the roughness, but the discolored varnish remains a problem. Some of the discolored varnish came off and the wood is almost bare, and what remains is gray. I am weighing the choice of refinishing with varnish (doubtful unless I strip the door completely) or painting the door with a good quality primer and finish coat. Any recommendations?
macwnj

Re: refinish exterior door

Postby caroline on Fri May 12, 2017 1:48 am

Hi,

DIY ideas to refinish the exterior door:-

1.Initial Preparation: - First remove the locking mechanisms including the striker and dead bolt.
2.Remove the Finish by Sanding: - While refinishing a door the old finishes and stain will have to be removed.
3.Staining: - After the stripping and sanding is finished simply move on to applying a protective clear finish on door.It will make the exterior door look great.
4.Apply the clear finish.

Thanks!!
caroline

Postby erikjamison on Wed May 24, 2017 12:12 am

Remove the Finish by Sanding and refinishing a door the old finishes or stain will have to be removed.
Pests not only cause damage to your house, but they can also lead to the various health problems. A professional company that would help you with pest control treatment.
erikjamison

Postby marksmith on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:08 am

caroline wrote:Hi,

DIY ideas to refinish the exterior door:-

1.Initial Preparation: - First remove the locking mechanisms including the striker and dead bolt.
2.Remove the Finish by Sanding: - While refinishing a door the old finishes and stain will have to be removed.
3.Staining: - After the stripping and sanding is finished simply move on to applying a protective clear finish on a door.It will make the exterior door look great.
4.Apply the clear finish.

Thanks!!

Thanks Caroline for such helpful tips. I am going to refinish my exterior door and this information is very helpful for me.
'
marksmith

Return to General Discussions Forum