dcsimg

how to deep clean very old stone walls

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

how to deep clean very old stone walls

Postby steveh2112 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:38 pm

hi all, i'm new to this forum. i'm helping a friend restore a 300 year old cottage in the yorkshire dales in england. the old stone (limestone or sandstone i guess) have 300 years of dirt, soot, grime, etc on and need some really deep cleaning.

would you recommend pressure washing (if so, what kind of psi) or something like sand or shot blasting, or something else?

we are a fairly large area to cover, maybe 500sqft

we'd like to maintain the natural look of the stone of course, but freshen it up, lighten it up and make it look great again

thanks
steveh2112

Re: how to deep clean very old stone walls

Postby caroline on Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:22 am

Hi,
I think pressure wash is the best way to clean old stone walls. You can rent or buy pressure washer to clean the walls. The best method to clean a stone wall with a pressure washer is to start at the top section of the wall and end to the bottom.After you finish one section of the wall, do the same thing on other sections of wall until the entire wall has been cleaned.
Thanks!!
caroline

Postby marksmith on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:45 am

Hello Caroline,
Great information about cleaning old stone walls.
Thanks!!
marksmith

Postby hasan5525 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:40 am

Stone walls can add a great amount of beauty to your property and landscaping. If you are fortunate enough to have a stone wall that was built by a farmer 100 years ago, your property has quite a valuable asset. You must maintain these stone walls in order to preserve their beauty. There are certain maintenance tasks that you can perform on your own, but there are other tasks that will require a stone mason’s care.
hasan5525

Postby doughty12 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:15 am

caroline wrote:Hi,
I think pressure wash is the best way to clean old stone walls. You can rent or buy pressure washer to clean the walls. The best method to clean a stone wall with a pressure washer is to start at the top section of the wall and end to the bottom.After you finish one section of the wall, do the same thing on other sections of wall until the entire wall has been cleaned.
Thanks!!

Also use a commercial grade degreaser, apply concentrated heavy degreaser purchased from any commercial pressure cleaning supply company. Do not dilute i repeat Do not dilute. just Pour the detergent straight from the bucket into garden sprayer & begin spray to the wall. Make sure that every single inch of wall is almost covered & try to keep wet look as you go. Degreaser will cost a few dollars but its worth every penny.

It'll look worse after this but stay calm and wait 15-20 minutes the wall will turn dark amber then dirty brown,Now to hit the wall with quick, random strokes, from top to bottom with your 15 degree nozzle, After that you can proceed to the final step of pressure washing wall.
doughty12

Postby Albela on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:11 pm

Hope this will helps you

Step 1

Fill a medium-size plastic bucket with warm water. Add ¼ cup of a grease-busting, bleach-free liquid dish detergent and ¼ cup of liquid ammonia. Agitate the mixture well to create a lather.

Step 2

Dip a nylon scrub brush into the cleanser. Scrub the stones thoroughly with the brush to remove dust, dirt and other muck. Clean each wall completely and rinse well with plain water.

Step 3

Treat mildew only once the stones are rinsed very well. Combine 1 oz. of plain bleach with 1 quart of water in a large spray bottle. Mist the stone with this mixture to kill mildew and freshen the surfaces; skip this step if there is any chance the bleach may mix with residual ammonia.

Step 4

Let the stone air dry for 48 hours. Do not rush, because even stones that feel dry to the touch may be holding moisture within. Sealing over wet stone can lead to internal mold, mildew and even structural problems.

Step 5

Apply two coats of masonry sealer all over the stone walls with a large paintbrush. Allow the first layer to dry for 30 minutes before applying the second. Let the sealer dry undisturbed for 24 to 48 hours.
Albela

Postby howardbgarett on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:14 am

i used pressure washing for cleaning my old stone walls. The result was very satisfactory :wink:
howardbgarett

Return to General Discussions Forum